Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2018, 08:15 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,322,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
This is a myth. Teachers signed up for low starting salaries, decent benefits, good pensions, and mediocre but consistent pay increases. That is not what they are getting any more.
I agree. I don't understand the "Teachers know what they sign up for" sentiment.

Of course teachers never expect to get rich, but they don't expect their pay to go down either. Health, retirement and other benefits traditionally helped to offset lower salaries and those benefits are eroding. Combined with frozen scales or minimal market scale adjustments it can result in a reduction in take-home pay. Nobody "signs up" for that.

https://www.vox.com/2018/3/16/171193...st-rising-data
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2018, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Also I don't have a problem with teachers getting a pay increase IF they deserve it. Many do. A lot don't.

If you know of a fair, equitable replacement as a way to achieve this I'm sure many would be willing to listen.

Old 03-16-2018, 08:29 PM

Quote:

Stop playing the woe is me. Teachers have it really good.
Is this still specific to LI teachers, or the profession as a whole?

Old 03-16-2018, 08:31 PM

Quote:
No but they do get 3 months in the summer... while teachers are laying on the beach with a margarita the rest of America is WORKING.

So, to clarify...does, "They knew what they were signing up for" apply to this statement or does it not?

Old 03-16-2018, 10:23 PM

24,636 posts, read 9,464,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
That's a horrible answer. Why? Because if every teacher took that advice, who would be left to teach our children?
Not really. Every public teacher in America could quit right now and there would be a line full of foreign teacher signing up to fill their spot just to live in America.

Teachers have the same internet access as everyone else and knew very well their salary before they went into that field of study.

My heart goes out to teachers, one of many backbones to any society, they deal with so much crap from bad students. But paying them more means more property taxes for everyone else. No thanks. They chose their career.

Old 03-17-2018, 12:00 AM

5,888 posts, read 3,226,677 times
But that doesn't really seem that low to me. I know AZ has a low cost of living compared to most states.

And isn't the national household income less than twice what she makes? If not pretty close....

So while I do think teachers are often underpaid..the numbers don't look that odd except for her district paying less than the state average..but as someone pointed out she teaches in an affluent mostly white school so the job is much easier than the state average also, I'd imagine...with far fewer problem kids and problem parents.

Old 03-17-2018, 12:15 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,843,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
I agree. I don't understand the "Teachers know what they sign up for" sentiment.

Of course teachers never expect to get rich, but they don't expect their pay to go down either. Health, retirement and other benefits traditionally helped to offset lower salaries and those benefits are eroding. Combined with frozen scales or minimal market scale adjustments it can result in a reduction in take-home pay. Nobody "signs up" for that.

https://www.vox.com/2018/3/16/171193...st-rising-data
And in the private sector do you know of a lot of jobs that come with those guarantees of lifetime employment, full benefits and regular raises?

Old 03-17-2018, 01:34 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,619,738 times
Quote:
Teachers do work @ home after work hours, everyone knows that.

But other professions do as well. I work a full day @ work then I go home and answer client calls and emails and things like that from my west coast clients and clients around the world.

teachers expect to be paid for the time they spend working at home and after hours. The difference is business people work outside of work hours too. We don't get paid for that or expect to.

Mmmmm. No. Teachers get paid a salary based on the 40 hour work week. There is no additional pay that comes with working more than 40 hours.

And someone mentioned college professors getting paid well. That's a crock of bull. Only at elite institutions do professors see six figure salaries.

My professors all had PhD's. I ran across an old salary schedule while working on campus. Was shocked to see that most of them were making salaries in the $50k - $60k range.

The only place you'll be well paid in education is internationally (middle east/parts of asia) or at elite institutions.

America doesn't value educators as much as we would like to believe. Teachers are at the bottom of the totem pole when it comes to overall respect.

Old 03-17-2018, 04:34 AM

5,907 posts, read 4,432,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post
Mmmmm. No. Teachers get paid a salary based on the 40 hour work week. There is no additional pay that comes with working more than 40 hours.

And someone mentioned college professors getting paid well. That's a crock of bull. Only at elite institutions do professors see six figure salaries.

My professors all had PhD's. I ran across an old salary schedule while working on campus. Was shocked to see that most of them were making salaries in the $50k - $60k range.

The only place you'll be well paid in education is internationally (middle east/parts of asia) or at elite institutions.

America doesn't value educators as much as we would like to believe. Teachers are at the bottom of the totem pole when it comes to overall respect.
College professor salaries are reported on a 9 month contract with a median 2018 salary of $83,000, Which puts HALF of the people in the profession in the top 15.3 percent of wage earners in the United States.

https://www.payscale.com/research/US...ucation/Salary

Old 03-17-2018, 05:52 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,381,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
Is this still specific to LI teachers, or the profession as a whole?
Profession as a whole.

Teachers have job security, pensions, summers off. It’s far from a bad gig. Money isn’t everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment