Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 05:51 AM

88,544 posts, read 84,719,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Coming in late is a negative. Routinely overpaying for overhyped Starbucks would be another in my book (although not as bad). I'm so glad I don't give them any money. Making coffee myself saves me lots of money each year (money for me, not stupid Starbucks).
Plus I bet your coffee is actually GOOD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2018, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Maybe they also stay late, or work through part of their lunch hour or other break.

I don't really see what Starbucks has to do with it. Would you feel better if they came in with Dunkin Donuts?
I know. Took a couple of posts. I thought at first the OP worked at Starbucks.

Old 03-21-2018, 06:22 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,009,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Plus I bet your coffee is actually GOOD.
I agree..anything is better than Starbucks..I just can't drink their coffee. I've tried...just can't do it.

Old 03-21-2018, 06:27 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,169,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
Why is it interesting? What value do you expect to derive from the answers?

The fact that this is so "interesting" to you is what's interesting. I don't have all kinds of spare energy and time to be uselessly mulling over what other people do. Why do you think you do? Are you at the absolute apex of your career, family, interests, etc. and have absolutely nothing left to learn or do that you can expend cycles worrying about someone else coming in 15 minutes late with Starbucks?
But it was interesting enough topic for you to take some of your valuable time to put someone else down......Interesting.......

Old 03-21-2018, 07:15 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,590,913 times
Some people try to get promoted to management. Other people decide to just start acting like managers because they're that much better than everybody else.

Old 03-21-2018, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
I agree..anything is better than Starbucks..I just can't drink their coffee. I've tried...just can't do it.
A local coffee bean store owner explained it to me. Normally coffee is roasted for 14 minutes at X temperature, but Starbucks roasts theirs for only 8 minutes at a higher temperature to get that burnt taste.

I think the culture of trendiness and a place to hang out makes it popular with the youngsters who don't really know what good coffee is supposed to taste like, and they also tend to be the ones who add all these flavored cream things and sugars that mask the taste. I have wondered if that's why Starbucks produces the burnt coffee--if they make their real bank on all the crap they sell to cover the taste.

It's a brilliant marketing strategy if you think of it, but kind of sad that so many people fall for it and eagerly give their money away for an inferior product.

Old 03-21-2018, 08:52 AM

6,855 posts, read 2,844,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian75 View Post
Really? Should I have just said store bought coffee???? Honestly.
And no she doesn’t stay late according to my friend.

Heard it from a friend who...heard it from a friend who...heard it from a friend, etc.

If you kept your focus your own life, you wouldn't have time to worry what someone else is doing when it doesn't affect you.

Old 03-21-2018, 09:01 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,697,300 times
As a manager, if someone:

• is coming in a little late
  • performing very well
  • minor tardiness is not affecting the group
I could overlook the lateness. If they are staying the extra 15 minutes, there'd be very little to consider. There are some industries where that would be frowned upon - like shift work at a hospital where one shift hands off to another. Then there'd be a gap. But, if that doesn't apply - who cares?

A happy employee tends to be a productive employee. If some other employees decide to do the same thing, but aren't productive? Then there'd be an issue with them.

Old 03-21-2018, 09:17 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,964,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian75 View Post
I’m not asking for the cliche answer of “it’s none of your business”
This is more of wondering if people know better or they just don’t care, or is it not a problem nowadays?
If your hours are 8 to 5. Salary but we are supposed to be here at 8. Wouldn’t someone have the common sense to not walk in 15 minutes late most days with Starbucks? 20 years ago I never encountered anything like I do these days.
I was just talking to a business owner the other day and he said the same thing. In general people have become so privileged, they just sort of coast through. He tries to hire older people around 40 or older for the most part as they seem to be more apt to show up early. It is kind of odd, but the self centered privilege that is now the norm is the way it is and will continue to get worse probably, until we hit bad times. Then you will see the lousy employees get fired because business will be slower. We used to call it shaking the tree to get rid of the bad apples.

Old 03-21-2018, 10:00 AM

9,382 posts, read 8,351,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
But it was interesting enough topic for you to take some of your valuable time to put someone else down......Interesting.......
LOL, soooooo true. I love the holier than thous who come on here and state "who cares! mind your own business!" and have 25,000 posts of nothing but their unsolicited "advice" to complete strangers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment