Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 12:00 PM

116 posts, read 436,861 times

Advertisements

I work for one of Americas best places to work according to the website Human Resources page of the company. I was just told that due to the terrible economy the most we can expect for a merit increase (if we stay in the same job) is 2%. Senior Management has decided we have to cut down on our salary increases to conserve cash during the economic recession. Most people are angry but resigned due to the fact that there are few good jobs available anymore and other places are cutting out raises entirely. One manager said that in today's economy we are lucky to have jobs. How about your company?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2008, 12:07 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,353,293 times
That is about right for nowadays. H has not gotten over a 3% raise per annum over the last 5 years. 2 years - 1%, one year NO raises at all entire company... almost no one's income (in U.S.) is keeping pace with inflation.

Yep - same old - your lucky to have a job - blah blah blah - we could hire overseas workers for about 30% less because we don't have to pay benefits - blah blah blah...

All the corps are the same.

Old 03-25-2008, 04:23 PM

5,120 posts, read 16,599,761 times
Government job for me. The highest merit (in the past 9 years) anyone here has been considered for is 3%.....and that only goes to people who are below midpoint. I don't understand why my employer still calls it a merit increase when it has no long has anything to do with job performance.

Old 03-25-2008, 07:19 PM

555 posts, read 2,212,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by politically_correct View Post
I work for one of Americas best places to work according to the website Human Resources page of the company. I was just told that due to the terrible economy the most we can expect for a merit increase (if we stay in the same job) is 2%. Senior Management has decided we have to cut down on our salary increases to conserve cash during the economic recession. Most people are angry but resigned due to the fact that there are few good jobs available anymore and other places are cutting out raises entirely. One manager said that in today's economy we are lucky to have jobs. How about your company?
Wow! You are actually getting a raise? Where I work, no one has seen a raise in 2 years except a few privedged few. We are hoping to not get a pink slips. Raises are the last thing on my mind. I just need my job.

Old 03-26-2008, 09:52 AM
b75

950 posts, read 3,463,842 times
And yet the COL keeps on rising....

Old 03-26-2008, 10:14 AM

622 posts, read 3,113,157 times
That is why people job hop when a better, higher paying job comes along. I don't blame them. Take care of your employees, and they'll take care of you by staying put.

Old 03-26-2008, 11:15 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,171,483 times
I'm so sorry... My merit increase last year was 16%. This year I'm looking at something between 20-25% increase in pay.

Old 03-26-2008, 11:24 AM

845 posts, read 2,744,005 times
Wow thats great. What do you do?
Im a job hopper because that is the only way I can increase my salary. I graduated 4 years ago and have had 6 jobs. I hope to be able to settle down at a job one day but I havent found a company worthy of that. But if I had kept my first job all these years I would not be making nearly as much money today.

Old 03-26-2008, 11:29 AM

1,703 posts, read 3,871,095 times
At my previous company, I got an average of 5% each year. The company I work for now is smaller and takes care of their people so I would expect at least that.

Old 03-26-2008, 12:41 PM
b75

950 posts, read 3,463,842 times
That is great - Your situation is atypical unless of course you are a high level executive who sets the budget. It is the worker bees that are making less - not the upper echelon who are doing better then ever. Truly separates the "haves" from the "have nots," as we work our way towards eliminating the middle class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post
I'm so sorry... My merit increase last year was 16%. This year I'm looking at something between 20-25% increase in pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment