Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2018, 10:54 AM

1,684 posts, read 3,954,922 times

Advertisements

HAHAHAHAHA Security..... non-existent here except for the guns most of the shop employees have in their cars..... Loved when I worked for a food manufacturing company - due to FDA (the in-house inspectors) and Food safety regulations we had a guard gate. NO ONE got thru that gate.... they weren't armed (thank god) - but they wouldn't open that gate for anyone - even employees if they forgot their pass. They'd have to wait for HR to okay their entrance. They even held the Owner one morning - just on principle. He couldn't get angry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2018, 11:06 AM

5,281 posts, read 6,588,923 times
I work from home, so of course I can't say how the physical security is. But for the most part on terms of their system security, it is mostly pretty bad. They sometimes have us take mandatory training, and it's all bound to so God awful version of Internet Explorer (like IE 8 or something stupid like that). On top of that, the VPN gives you nothing. It only allows you to access certain portals for the company which you don't need outside mandatory trainings (which are all bound to IE 8, which is insecure). Most people don't use the corporate VPN for anything. So everyone just create whitelist for themselves inside of AWS. And there is no real way of deprovisioning someone. So someone could theoretically have access to the systems months after they leave the company.

They also run a lot of their backoffice apps on Windows servers. Some of them are on Windows 2003. Now to any person who understands security, you already know Windows isn't the most secure operating system. But running things on Windows 2003 is an even worse idea. Considering that it's no longer supported, and has many known security exploits.

One of the great things about the lack of security though. I don't use the companies laptop, which is some huge windows laptop that weighs a ton. I can port just about everything to my Macbook. so when I decide to work from a starbucks, I don't have to be weighed down by my company issued laptop that weights 1 billion pounds. And the Macbook is a far more pleasant experience as a developer. Though admittedly when docked at home, the company laptop feels much better.

Old 03-26-2018, 12:08 PM

1,290 posts, read 2,569,268 times
Qualified, able, and willing. Armed with AR-15 rifles, .40 cal handguns, and other things I will not mention. My only beef is that they train to the test, and imo lack some imagination by presuming the way an attack would come.

Old 03-26-2018, 12:31 PM

17,308 posts, read 12,245,675 times
I work from home so pretty secure. But at the office? Just some key cards and a receptionist.

Old 03-26-2018, 02:03 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,872,184 times
My husband works at a corporate HQ doing security. They have multiple armed guards on duty around the clock, the guards all wear bulletproof vests, they've had training in active shooter response on computer simulations and in their own buildings, the guards are certified in first aid and respond to medical emergencies. Other companies send their security managers to look at the setup so they can try to get something similar going in their own companies.

Old 03-26-2018, 05:36 PM

50,772 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
I worked for a temp agency (In conjunction with HP) and one night we had a fire alarm go off. "Where is security?" many asked. I knew that security left at 11pm or 10 pm depending on when it came in. In short, the building was "Unprotected" from 11 pm till 6 am.

The building did have "Card Key" entrance 24hrs, but we had had 2 homeless people get in and find sleeping places for a short while. (They entered with others at the same time, even though signs said not to permit this)

If someone broke a window, started a fire or shot someone, it depended on someone calling for help to get a response.

I have worked other jobs (Once for Federal Reserve stacking coin sacks and the security there was deep and total). I never worried someone would come in and shoot the place up, but thought that was a cheap way to operate.
I work in nursing homes, they don't generally have security. If a fire breaks out, the fire department is alerted automagically when the alarms go off (happened to me once, and it was not fun trying to evacuate the affected wings).

Old 03-26-2018, 06:57 PM

5,907 posts, read 4,430,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electron View Post
Qualified, able, and willing. Armed with AR-15 rifles, .40 cal handguns, and other things I will not mention. My only beef is that they train to the test, and imo lack some imagination by presuming the way an attack would come.
Wait, so is this a kindergarten classroom or something in trump’s world??

Old 03-26-2018, 07:24 PM

6,590 posts, read 11,286,252 times
Aside from government facilities, most places I've worked had no real security. It's just your typical office building - not a multi-tenant hi-rise where you may have a bunch of different companies and a guard desk in the lobby. But we own the entire building - so the front desk is usually a receptionist as opposed to a guard. The physical security is then via badge access. The datacenter may have additional security (mantraps or palm scanners).

In the private sector, I've personally never worked in a building where you had actual security guards. Then again, most of the locations I've been in were out in suburbia, not downtown. I have visited client sites where they had security guards, etc.

Ironically - I did some contracting for the US HHS. And the main building in downtown D.C. is super relaxed - you walk in and flash your badge and they wave you in. Where a small OpDiv outside of D.C. was like going through TSA. Bags through the xray machine, metal detector, and badge swipe through the gate. The building was within business park located within a fairly high-end neighborhood.

Old 03-26-2018, 07:47 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,937,226 times
I work at a public library, so by its very nature, anyone can enter the building (and stay as long as you're following the basic rules). Even our staff entrance is open until 5:15pm, when we lock it for the evening workers - mostly because there are fewer of us working after 6, so there might not be anyone in back to notice a stranger walking in. We actually had a "rogue pooper" for a time, who'd pop in and use our staff restroom then leave. That's one of the reasons we started locking that door, lol.

As for emergencies, we're all technically required and trained to assist with various situations... we even had an "active shooter" training once, which was surprisingly helpful. We also happen to be next door to the local Police Dept, so they can show up quickly if/when needed. That's about it, though!

Old 03-27-2018, 04:06 AM

1,290 posts, read 2,569,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
Wait, so is this a kindergarten classroom or something in trump’s world??
Part daycare, part rest home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment