Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2018, 03:35 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,764,474 times

Advertisements

It all depends on the degree. If you are a petroleum engineer, you can start at 6 figures. If you get a degree in gender studies, I read the other day you are lucky to get $13,000 per year which is less than minimum wage.

The amount of income will always depend on how many jobs are being created, in relation to the number of graduates in that field, and where the job is located.

Here is a tool, to find what the salary range is between occupations, and state differences in pay, along with adjusting for the differences in the value of that income adjusting for each state after cost of living adjustments are made. Often the highest paying state, may be the least value as to what you can do with the money.

Select the occupation, then type in 5 states, and find what you can expect to earn, and what you can do with the money.

Salary by State: Where Can You Really Earn the Most?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2018, 03:48 PM

6,191 posts, read 7,356,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Hell no. $60k is wayyy too much for an entry level "kid" right out of college.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Yeah but that's with a masters/JD.

I think the OP is talking about people with just bachelors.

There are plenty of health care BS degrees that start 55K+. And even over 60K.

Old 04-07-2018, 05:37 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,548,631 times
It depends on what major completed and how in-demand your skill-set is. If anyone can do anything, your value will decrease. Ideally, the salary for a corporate position out of college would be $50k+, enough to pay your debts, live in a comfortable place, and save for either a down payment or retirement.

I have friends who are pharmacists who make $120k right out of college because they are desirable, the same with specialty engineers. I made around a $110k with my first 'real' job out of college due to being in a niche profession that doesn't often hire and requires a lot of pre-employment testing. Doing what everyone else does will not always yield results.

Old 04-07-2018, 06:49 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,962,597 times
Learn to sell and your income can be zero to whatever. No college degree required. Amount of income largely depends on you.

Old 04-07-2018, 09:06 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,483,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
Learn to sell and your income can be zero to whatever. No college degree required. Amount of income largely depends on you.

If you CAN sell. But as you said "0 to whatever"..

Old 04-08-2018, 12:30 AM

265 posts, read 155,637 times
You don't need a college degree for that kind of job as most I've worked with do not have one. They are usually not high paying jobs either; not very hard either; or involve more than 2 weeks of training.

Old 04-08-2018, 12:45 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,618,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post

I have friends who are pharmacists who make $120k right out of college because they are desirable, the same with specialty engineers. I made around a $110k with my first 'real' job out of college due to being in a niche profession that doesn't often hire and requires a lot of pre-employment testing. Doing what everyone else does will not always yield results.

I've read that pharmacy is a saturated field and that the opportunities aren't as plentiful as they use to be.

Someone mentioned focusing on STEM jobs. I agree. However I would be very careful about investing a lot of time and energy in in the S (science). Especially as it relates to biology, chemistry, etc. I know Chemistry Ph.D's that are having a hard time finding regular work.

Any area that requires an advanced knowledge of mathematics (calculus and above) is going to be a good choice to go into as a career.

Last edited by usamathman; 04-08-2018 at 12:57 AM..

Old 04-08-2018, 04:45 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,242,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanna4k View Post
To be specific. A 21 year old starting their first corporate job at a large company. Purchasing, supply chain, stock buying, inventory management. Large metropolitan areas like Chicago and surrounding subirbs. I’ve noticed a trend of older experienced employees being passed up for young adults with no experience and I wonder if it’s salary based. I’m told you can start kids right out of school at 35K but I know some that demand 60K right off the bat. I make 46K and I’ve been in the corporate world for a long time.
Sounds like you should be making more especially if you have a degree. I would advise you to check around at other companies.

Companies want the energy and new ideas of recent graduates so I'm surprised they're not paying more. My son was a Computer Engineering graduate from a good university and started out at $85K for a famous Seattle area company.

Ultimately, everyone needs to work at developing a skillset that employers need but are in short supply.

Old 04-08-2018, 05:51 AM

5,155 posts, read 4,621,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
It all depends on the degree. If you are a petroleum engineer, you can start at 6 figures. If you get a degree in gender studies, I read the other day you are lucky to get $13,000 per year which is less than minimum wage.

The amount of income will always depend on how many jobs are being created, in relation to the number of graduates in that field, and where the job is located.

Here is a tool, to find what the salary range is between occupations, and state differences in pay, along with adjusting for the differences in the value of that income adjusting for each state after cost of living adjustments are made. Often the highest paying state, may be the least value as to what you can do with the money.

Select the occupation, then type in 5 states, and find what you can expect to earn, and what you can do with the money.

Salary by State: Where Can You Really Earn the Most?
According to this, I should be making $50,000/year as a writer in Pennsylvania. I wish! I can't find writing jobs in Philadelphia and stuck at a call centre making $30,000/year, $21,000/year after taxes and deductions. $5,000/year at a library (part-time).

Old 04-08-2018, 06:15 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,923,078 times
What a lot of people fail to realize is that there is an entry level salary, mid career salary. and the salary you're earning near retirement. It seems college grads are expecting to get the mid or ending career salary. That $12-14 an hour entry level wage is about right unless you majored in something that leads to high entry level salaries like computer science.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment