Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 09:58 AM
miu miu started this thread

17,769 posts, read 40,163,673 times

Advertisements

What a train wreck in slow motion...

Alright, so one of the best employees had his cousin applying for a job. And to protect his identity, for this thread, I will call the good employee Manny, and his loser cousin Juan. Manny has worked about five years at my job. He's very quiet and drama free. He's strong, got a good physique, looks good in his waiter uniform, decorates the buffets well, and my gay GM thinks that he's awesome. Manny is from the Dominican Republic. And in all the years he has worked, Manny has never said anything about his family. But a few weeks ago, one of his cousins was looking for work, and my company hired him as a part time waiter. Nothing was said about Juan being Manny's cousin, but from the beginning, I noticed that they both had shaved heads. Juan was a shorter, slight of build and with crooked teeth. He also talked and walked very ghetto, and in an effort to be cool, he liked to truncate any long words. Jokingly, I told some of my co-workers that Juan was like a "Mini-Me" version of Manny, and this was before I knew that they were cousins.

After a few shifts, Juan became very outgoing and confident acting. When it came out that he was Manny's cousin, he would tell stories about their family and say that he was better than his cousin at everything. He also would show off his iPhone to everyone he met and boast how it was "jailbroken". He also said that he had gone to school to become a medical assistant, but so far, hadn't been able to find a job in that field. Juan is 25 years old, a fact that he doesn't like to reveal. I asked him once and he ignored my question. Someone else told me his age. I suppose when one can't get a girlfriend, it's embarrassing to be a 25 year old Hispanic male with no "game".

As a waiter, Juan was very sloppy in how he set the tables up with tablecloths and silverware, and when I would correct him, he would accuse me of being OCD. Then I would remind him that our style of service was very formal and so it was necessary that the tables be set perfectly and to look all the same. Anyway, after a few shifts as a waiter, he was scheduled to be mostly the person setting up the various meeting rooms with tables and chairs. He was not very good at this job either. And it was worrisome as our place is small, so for any given shift, there is only one furniture moving guy on duty. It's not a team effort. But the job isn't rocket science, so everyone figured that eventually he'd get proficient enough to go solo doing it.

And Juan was a chatty guy and tried to be friendly with everyone. Eventually, he started crossing the line. First was the talk about where everyone went for nightlife. He loved talking about clubbing. But mixed in with that chatting was his acute desire to have a girlfriend. First, he really offended an Asian co-worker who is engaged to a black man. She is a very petite woman. So he asked her if she would ever consider dating an Hispanic man. She said no, never. Keep in mind that she is engaged to her longtime boyfriend who is also her high school sweetheart, so she has no desire to ever date another man, no matter what his culture or race. Juan was very offensive and got defensive and replied that it was a good thing that she didn't because "he would really tear her up". There was another waitress there, and they were both shocked and grossed out at what he said. She ended up talking to Manny in private about Juan's inappropriate words. And BTW while Manny is very professional at work, he's the one that drives to work in his girlfriend's car while having a suspended drivers license, and he also cheats on his girlfriend. And that doesn't make for good boyfriend material.

And after a week on the job, he started trying to hook up with the college girls that work part time with us. With one girl, he asked for her phone number to put in his iPhone. And girl #1 replied that she had a boyfriend, in fact she lived with him, but she was willing to be his friend. And one night, when she invited another co-worker to go out so she could buy him a birthday beer, Juan invited himself along to the bar. Well things got awkward after the birthday boy left. She was stuck with Juan, who invited himself over to her place to hang out. She wasn't worried about him making the moves on her as her boyfriend was home with his buddies, but she really didn't think that he was friend material. So Juan went to her place, and they all hungout together while he got drunk on their booze. He apparently doesn't hold his liquor well. After that night, girl #1 kept her distance from him at work. Then there was girl #2 that complained to the rest of the waitresses that Juan was calling her up constantly, so she stopped answering his calls. After hearing this, all the women at work made an effort to stay away from him, and to talk to him only professionally.

Well finally there was girl #3 that is a pretty bartender. She was new to the staff last week, so not aware of Juan's reputation. We had a group this last Saturday that had their reception in one room, but their dinner in another one. She was set up with her bar in the reception room. After the group went next door for dinner, she was alone in her room for about an hour and a half. And Juan kept walking through her room all night. At one point, he asked her out on a date. Very politely, she said that she'd need to think about it for a minute. Finally, she turned him down, telling him that it wasn't professional to date a co-worker. He replied that he felt that they were both adults, and so could handle the situation maturely. She still refused. On another trip through the room, he told her that he felt "really shaken up that she refused him". Annoyed, she told another waiter what happened and said "just shoot me now". Later on, she told the rest of us that she felt "very insulted" that he tried to ask her out. When the shift ended, there was an informal party in the office as the week had been really busy. The managers were clustered in one area of the office, the waiters in another. Juan wasn't welcome in our area because at this point, we were aware of how he had hit on at least three of the waitresses and it was unanimous that this guy was creepy. After we'd each had one drink, we all left to go home. The managers were still going strong after we left.

And the next day, Juan self destructed. Apparently, he stayed at the party until the end. He was drinking whiskey out of a champagne glass and got so drunk that the managers called him a cab to get home. My guess is that he can't say no to free alcohol. But while at work the next day, he seemed to be functioning fine. But at one point, when he was walking around, he had a really sour face one. When one manager was puzzled at his cranky attitude, someone mentioned that girl #3 had turned him down for a date. This manager had heard some rumours about his trying to ask out the waitresses, so she said that she would talk to him about it. But this manager is a real sweetheart of a woman, so all she would have given him is a gentle verbal warning to stop. Trouble came when Juan took his lunch break. The meal didn't agree with his stomach. So first, he was lying on his back under the carpet of the dining table with his eyes closed. I think that he was hoping for attention, because later on, he repositioned himself on the carpet in order to block access to a storage closet. This caused other people to have to ask him what was wrong, and also to move out of the way. Girl #2 actually had to get into this storage closet. So she asked him what was wrong, and her reply was if the food didn't feel right to eat, why did he go ahead and finish his plate? Well later on, Juan was standing in the kitchen. The assistant head manager saw him and asked him to help her move some chairs. And Juan refused, saying that he thought he was going to throw up. And her reply was to tell him to get out of the kitchen. Honestly, he should have just gone into the men's employee locker room and thrown up. It was also closer to the lunch room than the kitchen. Well I don't know exactly what happened after that, but shortly afterwards, Juan was terminated.

Meanwhile, Manny seemed relieved that his cousin was fired. I'm guessing that he really didn't want his cousin at his job, he was only doing a favour for a family member. And Manny told him that he had tried to tell Juan to stop asking his co-workers out.

So Juan's main mistakes:

1. Hitting on all the young waitresses. That's sexual harassment. While no one was actually afraid of him, it was annoying, inappropriate and totally creepy. And since he was hitting on most of them and before he really got to know any of all of them, no one felt special or took it as a compliment to be asked out by him. He reeked of desperation. We all felt that all he wanted was sex, not real friendship or love. He could have gotten away with asking out one girl, but to ask out at least three of them and within ten days was plain out of control... just like being leg humped by a horny dog.
2. After only a few shifts, he felt equal to everyone. When you are new at a workplace, show some respect to the workers who have been there longer. Don't try to be a smartass. When someone tries to show you the right way to do things, don't tell them that they have OCD.
3. Don't get drunk at the employee party in front of the managers when you are a new hire. Free booze isn't worth it.

And now that I know the kind of person he is, I am not surprised that he hasn't gotten a job as a medical assistant yet. He would offend all the female patients he encountered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2010, 10:01 AM

3,849 posts, read 9,422,703 times
Are you sure Juan's name wasn't "TV..."?

Old 06-08-2010, 12:18 PM
miu miu started this thread

17,769 posts, read 40,163,673 times
Hmmm.... Juan actually being TVandSportsGuy? He didn't seem to care about sports. But they could be related. They certainly could gripe together about how women send mixed signals and do them wrong.

It's sad because, if he had focused on just trying to be a good worker, he could have been a slightly sub-average quality worker and been offered a full time union position with health benefits because of his cousin's good standing. Instead, he placed his priorities on getting a girlfriend over having a decent job.

Meanwhile, he'll blame his loss of job on us stuck up college b*tches. He probably even thinks us racist against Hispanics for not wanting to sleep with him... when actually it was his ghetto attitude, not the colour of his skin.

We suspect that his IQ is at the borderline retarded level based on how he kept repeating the same mistakes both in his social interactions and in his work.

Old 06-08-2010, 12:21 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,425,008 times
Did you get Juan's number?

Old 06-08-2010, 12:30 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,778,598 times
He sounds more like an immature idiot kid than creepy. Chances are he doesn't have all that much experience in the workplace, and was never taught proper etiquette, what constitutes acceptable behavior and what is considered harassment. Probably didn't have much of a proper upbringing either. If he's still acting this way well into his 30's then creepy would definitely apply. Right now, even at 25, I'd say he's still having some growing pains and he's a slow learner. Lot's of misplaced hormones and not entirely clear on limits and boundaries. At this age, there is still hope for him to turn around one day. If he was doing this at 40, I'd say he's a total loser.

Old 06-08-2010, 12:32 PM

4,320 posts, read 5,136,926 times
Crikey, that's one of the longest posts I've seen on City Data amounting to nothing. You should tell one of your friends this over a drink and don't waste our time... not a good use of a public forum.

And if there was any value to this it would have been in the Employment section.

Old 06-08-2010, 12:38 PM

4,533 posts, read 8,339,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtheBanker View Post
Are you sure Juan's name wasn't "TV..."?
Didn't you read the part where she said, "He hit on all the waitresses"?

Old 06-08-2010, 12:45 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,673,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Crikey, that's one of the longest posts I've seen on City Data amounting to nothing. You should tell one of your friends this over a drink and don't waste our time... not a good use of a public forum.

And if there was any value to this it would have been in the Employment section.
Amen and please pass the potatoes.

And here's to hoping my CD membership is revoked should I ever make a long , rambling post about such an amazingly dull event in my life.

Old 06-08-2010, 12:47 PM

6,777 posts, read 13,551,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
Amen and please pass the potatoes.

And here's to hoping my CD membership is revoked should I ever make a long , rambling post about such an amazingly dull event in my life.
LMAO!

I think it's time for someone to start a blog.

Old 06-08-2010, 12:51 PM

2,013 posts, read 3,547,040 times
*Yawn*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment