Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 02:52 AM

3,884 posts, read 4,534,690 times

Advertisements

My husband may have the opportunity at his tech company to work remote which could get us out of our high rent area. He's a valued employee, but I worry about rocking the boat.

Any feedback from those who work remotely for a company? (Not self employed)

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2018, 03:32 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,700,286 times
In a word: Yes, it reduces job security.

However: It is true in every case that every remote employee loses their job in short-order? No.

Old 04-09-2018, 06:08 AM

35,056 posts, read 31,258,424 times
No idea what "high rent area" you're in, but don't move somewhere with only a remote job. It's still important to be somewhere that you can find a job down the line if the remote opportunity doesn't work out.

Old 04-09-2018, 06:46 AM

5,281 posts, read 6,585,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
My husband may have the opportunity at his tech company to work remote which could get us out of our high rent area. He's a valued employee, but I worry about rocking the boat.

Any feedback from those who work remotely for a company? (Not self employed)

Thanks!

Job security is an illusion. But from my experience, remote jobs seem more secure to me. You're costing the company less because they don't need to supply you a desk. Less employees in offices means less electricity bills, and less leases for the company as well. The main issue is that a lot of companies don't have a strong remote workforce, or have management that is terrible as managing remote employees. So silly and artificial metrics to prove that you're "Working" happens a lot. That is generally because a manager or the company has little to no experience managing remote employees. Generally companies that have the experience, you usually don't have much to worry about.

But again, job security is a myth these days. You stay long enough to get your experience and become more attractive to a new employer that is paying more money.

Old 04-09-2018, 07:21 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,734,689 times
I have been remote for over 10 years, it does not reduce your job security. It's the way of the future for many, many companies. There is no need to pay the overhead of an office building when an employee can work from home.

Old 04-09-2018, 07:36 AM

7,977 posts, read 4,983,013 times
There isn’t much in the way of job security in today’s private sector unless you have high up connections. Once you become too expensive your days are numbered today regardless if you work remotely or on-site . So you may as well hit up the remote job chances if the opportunity presents itself.

Old 04-09-2018, 07:38 AM

35,056 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
I have been remote for over 10 years, it does not reduce your job security. It's the way of the future for many, many companies. There is no need to pay the overhead of an office building when an employee can work from home.
It doesn't matter. Many employers are still big on "butt in seat" time. Telecommuting was supposed to ease strain on expensive, urban areas, but that largely didn't happen. If anything, it's important to be in a major metro today than at any time in the recent past. A relative few telecommuting opportunities are not going to change this.

Old 04-09-2018, 07:47 AM

1,454 posts, read 1,942,356 times
i wouldn't say it reduces job security (IMO), but there can be an issue with being "forgotten" when it comes time for promotions. If you're not visible and networking - you could end up in the same job for a long time. I would also say to always stay near a job center, just in case things don't work out, there's the option for other jobs around.

Old 04-09-2018, 07:57 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,473,858 times
I have worked remotely for many years for several different companies.

First off, there is no such thing as job security for ANY job. Always remember this and ensure that skills are kept up-to-date as much as possible. This might mean that you try to get assigned to projects with technologies that will build your resume over time. You track the outside job boards to see what's growing and what's dwindling, so that you try to get experience in things that are growing.

The #1 biggest issues with working remotely is knowing that, if your current job ends, that you have Plan B on how to get your next job. Because if you want to stay a remote worker, there are fewer jobs availble that are remote. If you moved to an area that has fewer jobs in your field, you might be forced to move for a new job OR find another remote job. Plan ahead of time for this(a job loss) because no job is secure, even on-site jobs aren't secure.

If you want to stay in your location(let's say it's a rural area and far from companies that have good jobs) after losing your remote job, getting another remote job might be your only option. You should keep track of companies that allow remote workers and keep a list of web sites that have job searches for this. So that if/when it's time to change jobs you can move quickly and efficiently at getting another remote job.

Sometimes you turn down great opportunities which aren't remote, to wait for the remote job. It's not for the faint of heart to turn down good jobs that require on-site. But if remote is important, then you focus on your end goal.

PS: I would take that remote opportunity immediately. It's awesome. If you are good at your job you will get respected regardless if remote or on-site. That has been my experience. Besides, IT people often work with people in other locations. Even if they are on-site at a specific office, a good percentage of the other people they work with aren't in the same office. So they don't know or care if you are remote.

Last edited by sware2cod; 04-09-2018 at 08:22 AM..

Old 04-09-2018, 08:42 AM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,907 posts, read 2,067,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
It doesn't matter. Many employers are still big on "butt in seat" time. Telecommuting was supposed to ease strain on expensive, urban areas, but that largely didn't happen. If anything, it's important to be in a major metro today than at any time in the recent past. A relative few telecommuting opportunities are not going to change this.
There's a bit of irony. Companies which developed technologies allowing telecommuting are the most fervent supporters of being in the office.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment