Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2018, 12:02 AM

23,306 posts, read 18,852,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
People who aren't good enough to actually earn their keep, but who can't come to terms with the fact they simply aren't good at what they do end up lying and/or cheating. They then rationalize it by saying "well other people do it too". I mean, it's either that or work harder.

I know people often don't get what they have coming, but I hope this catches up to you and bites you hard. I mean that sincerely.
I happen to be someone who cares about the wake left behind. For some obscure reason the idea that I managed to get through an adult life without cheating or deceiving others just to get what I want matters to me. Maybe getting some grand payout due to dishonesty never happened, but somehow I've muddled through all right. Some of you more mercenary types probably think I am one of those unimaginative, predictable, repressed, or constrained people who pay attention to ethics guidelines and learn moral lessons. I find it hard to understand those who don't.

If you wish to justify lying with the idea that "everyone else does it too", well, that reminds me of the age-old question about other people, cliffs and jumping off them.

Last edited by Parnassia; 04-10-2018 at 12:51 AM..

Old 04-10-2018, 01:59 AM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC1024 View Post
The only "lie" I've ever told is a previous firm I worked for went out of business, when I reality I was fired. It was not the most recent job, nor the second most recent, listed on my resume, and it was a job I had 8 years prior.
I worked for a place with three owners, all scribbled their signatures on our paychecks, and no one knew their last names. Yeah, it went out of business. And when it did I made up last names. There was no way to check.

Who would believe you didn’t know your three bosses last names?

Old 04-10-2018, 06:04 AM

4,418 posts, read 2,945,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
They'll figure it right out if you apply at any time in the future. The exact number of weeks and checks will be on the computer and will come off your future benefit.
Nope. Didn't get caught. The employer doesn't give them your exact weeks. They only report quarters.

Old 04-10-2018, 06:33 AM

9,403 posts, read 8,369,560 times
Someone on my wife's side of the family once continued to receive UE benefits/checks well after he found new employment and I believe it was for an extended period of time (unlike your scenario). He was caught and faced jail time and extremely heavy fines on top of having to pay all that money back.

He committed suicide last year.

Old 04-10-2018, 07:34 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,318,759 times
"Oh what a web we weave, when first we practice to deceive".

Old 04-10-2018, 09:22 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,585,698 times
And you’re proud of this? Wow. I have never lied on a job application or in an interview because karma does eventually strike. A minor lie on a resume alone can be a reason for termination even years later.

Old 04-10-2018, 09:55 AM

5,900 posts, read 3,901,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana123 View Post
A minor lie on a resume alone can be a reason for termination even years later.
It depends. If they like you, then it won't.

Old 04-10-2018, 10:01 AM

4,418 posts, read 2,945,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana123 View Post
And you’re proud of this? Wow. I have never lied on a job application or in an interview because karma does eventually strike. A minor lie on a resume alone can be a reason for termination even years later.
I don't believe in karma. I got away with it. It was a calculated risk and its too late to get caught now. I tried for YEARS to be honest and I could not get my foot in the door or get even an interview. I have no need to lie anymore now that I have the experience.

Old 04-10-2018, 10:08 AM

4,633 posts, read 3,467,226 times
There are things I put on my resume that I was hesitant to because I felt I didn't have enough experience, but that was disproved when I got an opportunity to showcase my skill in that particular area. And it was usually a situation where I was backed against the wall. I've been surprised about how accurate my resume is. Not because I've lied, but because there are things on it I believe I haven't "earned" the right to put on there. There are a lot of things I leave off that I should probably put there because I tend to downplay my experience. I generally don't play the fluffing game.

Old 04-10-2018, 11:08 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,432,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
WOW!!!!!!! How can you look yourself in the ace when you shave?

What a terrible list of offences.

One of these days, you are going to really get caught and who knows what the fallout will be.
After all the BS, abuses, and impoliteness I've encountered, especially in my profession in the job market, I would not hesitate to lie to get a job if I felt the need. However it is a risk and it is always wise to minimize risk exposure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment