Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2018, 08:45 AM

3 posts, read 1,127 times

Advertisements

I signed an "at-will" employment offer letter with an L.L.C. back in late January for a position (a 2 year professional development program) with a start date sometime in July. During that time, the recruiter emailed me saying she would reach out shortly to begin the background/drug test. To this day, I have yet to receive anything about a test, so I emailed the recruiter yesterday regarding the said test but have not received a reply.
It just happens to be that the college career fair is Thursday and the company will be present at the fair.

So, I have a couple questions.

1. Should I be concerned if I haven't received anything regarding the tests yet, or is it still considered too early to perform the tests because there's still plenty of time before my start date?

2. Should I go to the career fair and approach the recruiter (if not the same specific recruiter, then whoever is at the table) and kindly ask on the status of my hiring?

3. Is it normal to not know my start date at this time?
Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2018, 08:51 AM

2,241 posts, read 1,478,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beekay114 View Post
I signed an "at-will" employment offer letter with an L.L.C. back in late January for a position (a 2 year professional development program) with a start date sometime in July. During that time, the recruiter emailed me saying she would reach out shortly to begin the background/drug test. To this day, I have yet to receive anything about a test, so I emailed the recruiter yesterday regarding the said test but have not received a reply.
It just happens to be that the college career fair is Thursday and the company will be present at the fair.

So, I have a couple questions.

1. Should I be concerned if I haven't received anything regarding the tests yet, or is it still considered too early to perform the tests because there's still plenty of time before my start date?

2. Should I go to the career fair and approach the recruiter (if not the same specific recruiter, then whoever is at the table) and kindly ask on the status of my hiring?

3. Is it normal to not know my start date at this time?
Thanks in advance!
1) Your start date is still a few months out, so you are probably low on the priority list. I would say that you did the right thing by following up with HR, and I'd just leave it at that for now.

2) If this is the same HR recruiter that you already reached out to via email, I would not necessarily seek them out in person at the job fair. Give them a day or two to respond to you. If you don't hear something in a week, I'd follow up with a phone call and just let them know that you're checking on status and planning things out for the summer. They should understand.

3) Unusual? Maybe. I'm not familiar with such programs where you start months after you interview. Sounds like some sort of internship or entry level job. Is that accurate? The fact that you are still relatively far out from the starting month would indicate to me that you're okay. Follow up with HR, as you've done, and respect the process. Recruiting at many companies is not the most efficient process. And since you aren't supposed to start for another few months anyway, you're low on their priority list.

Old 04-18-2018, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left-handed View Post
1) Your start date is still a few months out, so you are probably low on the priority list. I would say that you did the right thing by following up with HR, and I'd just leave it at that for now.

2) If this is the same HR recruiter that you already reached out to via email, I would not necessarily seek them out in person at the job fair. Give them a day or two to respond to you. If you don't hear something in a week, I'd follow up with a phone call and just let them know that you're checking on status and planning things out for the summer. They should understand.

3) Unusual? Maybe. I'm not familiar with such programs where you start months after you interview. Sounds like some sort of internship or entry level job. Is that accurate? The fact that you are still relatively far out from the starting month would indicate to me that you're okay. Follow up with HR, as you've done, and respect the process. Recruiting at many companies is not the most efficient process. And since you aren't supposed to start for another few months anyway, you're low on their priority list.
Thank you for the guidance, I feel more at ease.

In the case that I do not get a pick up from calling the recruiter or a response back within a week from the voice mail I left, what should I do?

This entry level job is a 2 year rotational program in which I rotate every 6 months between different departments and end the program with a full time position in a set department.

In the case that I don't recieve a response by June, should I be a little more proactive in reaching out? I did work at this company last summer as an intern and have a few contacts (mentors/talent acquisition employees) that I can reach out to.

Old 04-18-2018, 11:23 AM

2,241 posts, read 1,478,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beekay114 View Post
Thank you for the guidance, I feel more at ease.

In the case that I do not get a pick up from calling the recruiter or a response back within a week from the voice mail I left, what should I do?

This entry level job is a 2 year rotational program in which I rotate every 6 months between different departments and end the program with a full time position in a set department.

In the case that I don't recieve a response by June, should I be a little more proactive in reaching out? I did work at this company last summer as an intern and have a few contacts (mentors/talent acquisition employees) that I can reach out to.
Were there any other contacts provided for this particular position's recruitment? If so, reach out to them next week if you don't receive a response.

If not, then call the company directly and ask to speak to someone in HR about a position that you were waiting to hear back on. Your recruiter may be out of office or perhaps even on leave, and may have not thought to reach out to you beforehand. While I don't think that is necessarily the case, it could be possible.

Old 04-18-2018, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left-handed View Post
Were there any other contacts provided for this particular position's recruitment? If so, reach out to them next week if you don't receive a response.

If not, then call the company directly and ask to speak to someone in HR about a position that you were waiting to hear back on. Your recruiter may be out of office or perhaps even on leave, and may have not thought to reach out to you beforehand. While I don't think that is necessarily the case, it could be possible.
I was not provided any other contact, but your approach makes sense.
Thank you very much for your responses, I greatly appreciate it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment