Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2018, 03:53 PM

1,140 posts, read 2,139,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonHB View Post
There are more effective ways to be honest and stand up for yourself than to backtalk a superior in front of a group. Whether she was in the right or not, she handled it poorly; just about begged to be fired.
Can you tell us what are those ways?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2018, 04:04 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,585,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Person in Charge View Post
At my last job, there was a lady who was fired and the reason was that she "had a bad attitude." I sat across from her and she was always very friendly towards me and would help me when I asked. I thought she was very professional.

Well, there was one manager who was very difficult to work with and had a habit of talking to subordinates like they were children. For some reason, she especially had it out for the lady I'm talking about. The manager was just very nasty to her, and I'm sure the lady was defense as anyone would be who is attacked on a regular basis.

One day, we had a regular meeting, and the nasty manager told us that "we all need to treat each other with respect." The lady who was fired responded with "you need to treat us with respect as well." Of course, the manager then sent it up the flagpole and the lady was fired for "having a bad attitude."

If you ever brought her name up, she was a "bad employee" and "couldn't get along with anybody." Another manager even accused her of stealing people's lunches from the refrigerator, which I kind of doubt. I never had anything but positive interactions with her, but then again I'm a nice guy and I know people tend to react well when you are nice to them.

I just don't think she really had a bad attitude. She was fired for standing up for herself.
Yeah. After working for many years, I've seen some of that. Employees (incl me) getting blamed for the boss's mistakes, speaking up for yourself equaling "being difficult," etc.

I hope she finds another job that appreciates her frankness. Some people can get away w/being frank. Generally, they have to be really really good at their jobs...almost irreplaceable.

But really, if you embarrass the boss in a meeting, your days are numbered. You have to know what to say, and when to say it.

Old 04-14-2018, 04:29 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyking View Post
Can you tell us what are those ways?
I would have made my "suggestion/comment/reminder" to the speaker privately after the meeting either face to face or by memo/email.

Old 04-14-2018, 04:30 PM

29 posts, read 22,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Person in Charge View Post
At my last job, there was a lady who was fired and the reason was that she "had a bad attitude." I sat across from her and she was always very friendly towards me and would help me when I asked. I thought she was very professional.

Well, there was one manager who was very difficult to work with and had a habit of talking to subordinates like they were children. For some reason, she especially had it out for the lady I'm talking about. The manager was just very nasty to her, and I'm sure the lady was defense as anyone would be who is attacked on a regular basis.

One day, we had a regular meeting, and the nasty manager told us that "we all need to treat each other with respect." The lady who was fired responded with "you need to treat us with respect as well." Of course, the manager then sent it up the flagpole and the lady was fired for "having a bad attitude."

If you ever brought her name up, she was a "bad employee" and "couldn't get along with anybody." Another manager even accused her of stealing people's lunches from the refrigerator, which I kind of doubt. I never had anything but positive interactions with her, but then again I'm a nice guy and I know people tend to react well when you are nice to them.

I just don't think she really had a bad attitude. She was fired for standing up for herself.
I witnessed a situation like that. Except the employee quit. She told everyone she was going to quit and then she did. Then the "boss" lied and told us he fired her for having a bad attitude. lol. Whatta freak. We all knew what really happened.

Old 04-14-2018, 04:36 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,465,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonHB View Post
I would have made my "suggestion/comment/reminder" to the speaker privately after the meeting either face to face or by memo/email.
Ha! There is no reasoning with the type of manager described in the OP. It's their way or the highway.

"Sally is difficult" translated in brat speech is: "Wah wah wah! Sally isn't behaving the way I want and must be punished!" A manager who can't take being challenged is a tyrant who should be stripped of his or her duties.

Old 04-14-2018, 04:44 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,455,196 times
OP: I'm impressed that you have a good sense of opinions on character traits. Sounds like this Co worker chose her opportunity in addressing the elephant in the room. Such are rare gems. I would have backed her up
No she wasn't begging to be fired or put on blinders for 35 years. She had a voice and used it. I was fired and mainly for addressing an unspoken truth. Some bosses cannot accept they are human. Their throne doesn't compute that.
Consider this the age of twisting truths.

Old 04-14-2018, 05:21 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,587,643 times
I have noticed this, as well. There ARE people who have a poor attitude at work, but often, when management constantly talks about the importance of having a "good attitude," what they really expect is employees who won't say **** when they have been asked to swallow a mouthful of it.

Old 04-14-2018, 06:16 PM

1,140 posts, read 2,139,153 times
The problem with workplaces is there no real rights for an employee, I mean they have HR depts and employee handbooks which espouse treating employees with respect etc. They ensure legally compliant - but peer below the fasade of all workplaces and there is all sorts of shady practices.

Managers say all sorts of things behind closed doors, it’s a hush hush, no proof of accusations it’s also based on biased opinions, nepotism, some of its agenda driven. Much of the time they don’t even get involved with their subordinates day to day work, they base their opinions on verbal reports by other line managers, this is a perfect environment for manipulation, lies and political games.

There is no fair and independent arbitration sitting in the middle policing management or malicious coworkers - the hierarchy is always trusted. Accusations, opinions and gossip are accepted as truth without investigation or proof.

So in the average corporate job you have little control or real rights, and your mostly at the mercy of management - that’s why so many people suck up to their boss. If you think that logic, justice, hard work, skill or decency will prevail your going to be very disappointed for rest of your career - the only thing that matters in a corporate environment is your direct bosses opinion of you.

Imagine running a business without any sort of legal system to back you up, where’s people can slander you, break contracts for just not liking you, fail to deliver parts of Job without consequences, not providing promised resources, change you’re duties at the drop of a hat, etc - that’s what being a corporate employee is like in 2018.

Last edited by mikeyking; 04-14-2018 at 06:51 PM..

Old 04-14-2018, 06:30 PM

29 posts, read 22,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyking View Post
The problem with workplaces is there no real rights for an employee, I mean they have HR depts and employee handbooks which espouse treating employees with respect etc.

Managers say all sorts of things behind closed doors, it’s a hush hush, no proof of accusations it’s also based on biased opinions, nepotism, some of its agenda driven. Much of the time they don’t even get involved with their subordinates day to day work, they base their opinions on verbal reports by other line managers, this is a perfect environment for manipulation, lies and political games.

There is no fair and independent arbitration sitting in the middle policing management - the hierarchy is always trusted.

So in the average corporate job you have little control or real rights, and your mostly at the mercy of management - that’s why so many people suck up to their boss. If you think that logic, justice or decency will prevail your going to be very disappointed for rest of your career - the only that matters in a corporate environment is your direct bosses opinion of you.

Imagine running a business without any sort of legal system to back you up - that’s what being a corporate employee is like in 2018.
Smart people know to treat their employees good so they don't run off and yelp them out and stuff after they leave. Because stuff like that is bad for business.

Old 04-14-2018, 06:40 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,465,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Shine State View Post
Smart people know to treat their employees good so they don't run off and yelp them out and stuff after they leave. Because stuff like that is bad for business.
Yep. Especially if you're hiding dirty laundry. Nobody wants to be on trial in the Court of Public Opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment