Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 07:27 PM

1,887 posts, read 7,938,703 times

Advertisements

We had a new hire at our company. She was a young woman, about 23 years old. I had been asked to 'mentor' her for the next 3 months. From day one, she complained. Complained about how the directors looked at her, complained about her workload, complained about mileage reimbursement...She always had an attitude (not even sure why).

I would meet with her at least 3x per week to process the day and answer questions she would have. These sessions turned into venting. I warned her a few times to tone it down. Our colleagues were picking up on it. Each time this one particular director would cross her path- this employee would roll her eyes or just have some sort of immature response.

Well today took the cake. I was in another part of the building for supervision and when I returned to her office- she was gone and so was all of her stuff. Before I could ask what happened, I checked my email and saw the announcement "Effective today- Ms. Smith is no longer with the company. We wish her well in her future endeavors". I was told that due to a 'personality clash', the directors decided to fire her a55. The official statement was that she wasn't the "right fit" for the company.

No surprise but it's still sad, regardless. The job market is rough and I know she had been struggling to make ends meet since graduating from school last year.

But here's the real lesson: this poor child (bless her soul- as some would say) came into the job with a major entitlement issue. What are they teaching in college nowadays?? I have a good few years on this young woman and there's no way I could have entered my first professional job with the attitude she had. I understand people want to be respected at work but respect goes both ways. I think alot of younger and inexperienced job seekers should keep that in mind. I can't say for sure she learned her lesson but what a hard lesson to learn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 07:32 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,843,505 times
No, I save all of my complaining for when I get home in the afternoon and when I post here

Old 03-07-2012, 07:37 PM

2,615 posts, read 5,399,082 times
Ah, don't feel bad. It's tough out there though and people are much more stressed than they used to be. Still, it sounds like her attitude was way off, but maybe there were other external factors influencing her behaviour? It's tough out there right now. A lot of unhappy people unfortunately. You did your best though and tried to work with her.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:51 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,965,821 times
Think of the bright side, OP. If her attitude was horrific, this was a train wreck waiting to happen. Perhaps, by happening so fast, it will wake her up. If not, she will get used to getting fired.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:01 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,843,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Think of the bright side, OP. If her attitude was horrific, this was a train wreck waiting to happen. Perhaps, by happening so fast, it will wake her up. If not, she will get used to getting fired.
She's young. A lot of people make stupid, immature decisions in their youth (I know I have). Getting fired was probably the best thing that has happened to her. She will get unemployment since the official reason was that she was just a bad fit.

If she has any brains, she will learn from the experience and never make that mistake again. Unfortunately she had to learn the hard way.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:13 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,901,259 times
The company did the right thing. I hope all workers (young and old) take her experience to heart!

Old 03-07-2012, 08:25 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,630,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
She's young. A lot of people make stupid, immature decisions in their youth (I know I have). Getting fired was probably the best thing that has happened to her. She will get unemployment since the official reason was that she was just a bad fit.

If she has any brains, she will learn from the experience and never make that mistake again. Unfortunately she had to learn the hard way.
She's in FL, they will fight the unemployment and win. It is a state that is 30 yrs behind most of the country when it comes to workers rights. FL also pays out one of the lowest claims in the nation, and the new Gov is tying to make unemployment end after 12 weeks.

Besides I don't think you can get UE benefits after only a month of employment.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:27 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,833,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prettygyrl777 View Post
We had a new hire at our company. She was a young woman, about 23 years old. I had been asked to 'mentor' her for the next 3 months. From day one, she complained. Complained about how the directors looked at her, complained about her workload, complained about mileage reimbursement...She always had an attitude (not even sure why).

I would meet with her at least 3x per week to process the day and answer questions she would have. These sessions turned into venting. I warned her a few times to tone it down. Our colleagues were picking up on it. Each time this one particular director would cross her path- this employee would roll her eyes or just have some sort of immature response.

Well today took the cake. I was in another part of the building for supervision and when I returned to her office- she was gone and so was all of her stuff. Before I could ask what happened, I checked my email and saw the announcement "Effective today- Ms. Smith is no longer with the company. We wish her well in her future endeavors". I was told that due to a 'personality clash', the directors decided to fire her a55. The official statement was that she wasn't the "right fit" for the company.

No surprise but it's still sad, regardless. The job market is rough and I know she had been struggling to make ends meet since graduating from school last year.

But here's the real lesson: this poor child (bless her soul- as some would say) came into the job with a major entitlement issue. What are they teaching in college nowadays?? I have a good few years on this young woman and there's no way I could have entered my first professional job with the attitude she had. I understand people want to be respected at work but respect goes both ways. I think alot of younger and inexperienced job seekers should keep that in mind. I can't say for sure she learned her lesson but what a hard lesson to learn.
Sounds to me like she was nto very well vetted to start with missig that attitude lreally.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:29 PM

73 posts, read 420,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
She will get unemployment since the official reason was that she was just a bad fit.
If she was still under the probation period, typically 90 days (more, or less) then she will not qualify for unemployment. C'est la vie though, with an attitude like that, she doesn't deserve it! JMO...

Old 03-07-2012, 09:48 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,025,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prettygyrl777 View Post
'
I have no idea. We experienced something similar with a new graduate. She was a prima donna. She thought she had the same standing in the company as the President. She constantly commented on the hours he kept and how many days he took off. She felt she could do the same. A few people tried to talk to her about it, but she didn't stop. One day she called off sick and stayed out of the office for 3 weeks without calling in again. When she returned, she was fired. She still didn't get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment