Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 11:45 AM

5,281 posts, read 6,588,923 times

Advertisements

Have you ever worked for a sinking ship? When did you make your exit plan? Have you dealth with a sinking ship more than once in your career? Did you go down with the ship or did you bail? Please share your stories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2018, 11:54 AM

2,241 posts, read 1,476,198 times
I knew about a month after I started, and they did a major re-org which included the termination of my manager. I figured I'd give them a year to figure things out. But it's been one disaster after another in our department. I've since had six management changes in two years. The job I was hired for has essentially devolved mostly into an administrative role after inheriting admin tasks from outgoing hourly staff that were never replaced. And though I've brought this up with every new manager time and time again, little has been done about it. I'm an analyst making around $70k/yr for some perspective and background.

I've been diligently putting an exit plan together and into affect over the past six months. As far as I'm concerned, they've had 24 months to rectify this situation, and they continue to drop the ball. It's not my problem anymore. I need to be somewhere I can grow my career in a semi-stable environment under a tenured manager/director.

Old 04-18-2018, 11:59 AM

7,977 posts, read 4,986,308 times
Working at one right now since new executive level management took over. It’s been a daily nightmare of mismanagement and disorganization and constant reorganizing and loss of customers and layoffs. And decisions made that make NO sense from a common sense standpoint. . When all they had to do was just leave everything alone to begin with. If ain’t broke why fix it?

Naturally, there’s no accountability placed on the people who screwed it all up even though it’s glaringly obvious who the offenders were.

I would have been gone 1-2 years ago if there were equal or better options. Unfortunately, it’s not easy like it used to be to find a good career

Lack of accountability is a huge problem in corporate America

Old 04-18-2018, 12:09 PM

35,072 posts, read 31,293,790 times
Yes. I took a temp job to get back to my hometown several years ago. I knew the company had financial problems, but I was just using it as a stopover job to get to Nashville or Charlotte. That didn't happen, the company had more problems, and they let me go. Shortly after, IT was eliminated and office has since closed down.

Old 04-18-2018, 12:11 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,588,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left-handed View Post
I knew about a month after I started, and they did a major re-org which included the termination of my manager. I figured I'd give them a year to figure things out. But it's been one disaster after another in our department. I've since had six management changes in two years. The job I was hired for has essentially devolved mostly into an administrative role after inheriting admin tasks from outgoing hourly staff that were never replaced. And though I've brought this up with every new manager time and time again, little has been done about it. I'm an analyst making around $70k/yr for some perspective and background.

I've been diligently putting an exit plan together and into affect over the past six months. As far as I'm concerned, they've had 24 months to rectify this situation, and they continue to drop the ball. It's not my problem anymore. I need to be somewhere I can grow my career in a semi-stable environment under a tenured manager/director.

I'm actually in one right now, and it's the 2nd one I've dealt with in my career. My last day is Friday, as I found another job that's better pay, better career opportunities, seems to have a much better staff, and seems to have better senior management. I actually worked for this company previous, albeit with a different team in a totally different division. And I think I had left the company prematurely as I enjoyed my first tenor there a lot.

A lot of people have been leaving. I went through 4 managers in my time with the company (I've also a little over 2 years with my job). My original manager also announced his resignation, and his last day is May 3. My manager now may be on the chopping block.

We had a product that were were going to sell. We've been in development hell forever and haven't delivered any sort of product to the market. We had some new and young management who was aggressive and really wanted to do the right things, and run us more like a startup. But eventually all of the "big guns" started pouring in from other parts of the company, and that is exactly when the chaos started. The "big gun" management started the old blame game BS. And they started coming in firing and bullying everyone. They completely poisoned the product, and now it's not anything I can see a customer buying.

I'm glad to be leaving. I'm officially checked out, and I don't have to care. I am looking out or my coworkers by training them, but it's nice to know that I'll be leaving this dumpster fire. I talked to my coworker earlier, and he kind of hinted that others on the team are already preparing their exit plans.

Old 04-18-2018, 12:36 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times
oh boy have I ever. I was promised the moon when I got my interview and my papers and guess what ? not one of them ever came to be . So after three years of never getting what was promised including a couple of raises every 6 months , I took the plunge and looked for another job where the pay was good and better than what I had and the work load less , I said goodbye to the sinking and stinking ship and then after I left I heard they were saying things behind my back . I told one of the people that I was still in contact with that if I heard again they were talking and bad mouthing me I would file a deformation suit against them the likes of which they would never forget . Funny how all that seemed to stop when it went around that I had gotten wind of what they were saying about me . Do yourself a favor and look for another job if you are unhappy or feel you are being taken advantage of . Life is too short to stay in a crap job .

Old 04-18-2018, 12:47 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,785,830 times
I knew things were heading down after reading a synopsis by the company manager who bemoaned the high cost of labor in the USA. But I waited till I was laid off as I got a good package of benefits and pay for a few months.

They continued on with 85% of the company as temp and then in 2008 they finally shut the facility down.

Old 04-18-2018, 01:31 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,368,360 times
Yup. C level employees were milking the company out of all the startup money, and spending on things that we did not need. had multiple sites, ALL in amazing buildings...but only 1 site was customer facing.

Seriously, we were a bunch of coders, you could have rented a storage locker for us, not a high end office with marble floors etc...that cost more per month then the purchase price of my home.

And when someone leaked that the top 5 C-level folks were making millions each? Yeah. We only had 200 employees. when the top 5 make more then the rest of us combined and we saw the burn rate of our cash most people could do the math that we were doomed.

Old 04-18-2018, 01:54 PM

2,241 posts, read 1,476,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
I'm actually in one right now, and it's the 2nd one I've dealt with in my career. My last day is Friday, as I found another job that's better pay, better career opportunities, seems to have a much better staff, and seems to have better senior management. I actually worked for this company previous, albeit with a different team in a totally different division. And I think I had left the company prematurely as I enjoyed my first tenor there a lot.

A lot of people have been leaving. I went through 4 managers in my time with the company (I've also a little over 2 years with my job). My original manager also announced his resignation, and his last day is May 3. My manager now may be on the chopping block.

We had a product that were were going to sell. We've been in development hell forever and haven't delivered any sort of product to the market. We had some new and young management who was aggressive and really wanted to do the right things, and run us more like a startup. But eventually all of the "big guns" started pouring in from other parts of the company, and that is exactly when the chaos started. The "big gun" management started the old blame game BS. And they started coming in firing and bullying everyone. They completely poisoned the product, and now it's not anything I can see a customer buying.

I'm glad to be leaving. I'm officially checked out, and I don't have to care. I am looking out or my coworkers by training them, but it's nice to know that I'll be leaving this dumpster fire. I talked to my coworker earlier, and he kind of hinted that others on the team are already preparing their exit plans.
Are we the same people? Lol, you described my situation to a T.

Best of luck going forward! I hope to be close behind.

Old 04-18-2018, 04:01 PM

2,802 posts, read 3,189,891 times
I stuck around at a pizza restaurant where I was a low level manager. It was sinking slowly but surely. I stuck around because of the people I worked with, the tips on deliveries I made, and the free'ish food. After I left, everybody else left shortly after. Turns out I was the glue that held the place and people together. I was offered to buy the restaurant. I loved working there but didn't love it enough to make it my second residence. My way out of there was the trucking industry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment