Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 09:24 PM

354 posts, read 385,669 times

Advertisements

Remote workers who make $80k/year and above-
What is your title and what do you like about your job??

Give me a run down.

I am also very interested to hear from those in B2B sales and project management/ construction/ engineering or a technical field
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2018, 10:58 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,150,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by divagotstyle07 View Post

Give me a run down.

I am also very interested to hear from those in B2B sales and project management/ construction/ engineering or a technical field
What run down, double question mark?

Delivery Manager, IT, soon to be Sr. Delivery Manager. Was Engagement Manager, which is co-equal with Principal Consultant or Principal PgM in IT. More than double what you mention, plus bonus and benefits making it closer than not to $200K total comp.

Historically: manage programs $3-4M, indirects and directs (span of control) to 25 people, reporting to Director, Sr. Director, or GM. GM title seems to be growing rare in IT.

Past year: reported to office in Seattle, then moved under a national-based org. Boss in SoCal, peers literally in all corners of the U.S. with a couple in India. On assignment in-turn to another international Fortune 500 for a year, managing multi-mil$ program to largest company in the world by-revenue for at least a year PM'ing mergers and acquisitions Azure components, moderate sized team.

I figure I'm dead to the Seattle office anymore, making me truly remote. Doesn't matter where I am physically in the US at this point, interestingly enough. I'm staying, though, as jobs come and go but Seattle remains a hub for employment plus I like living here for the quality of life.

What do I like? At the moment, the travel which is frequent. That will settle to a week a month again, soon. Jamming miles on my AmX Platinum and being a member of National's Emerald Club, Marriott Gold, Delta Silver and striving for Gold and beyond. Etc.

I also like the autonomy, of course. Staying visible and in the revenue stream is my responsibility. Being in a cost center has never suited my purposes, as one becomes a target. Only exception being CorpSec; I'm always amused when some idiot exec decides to cut security though thankfully I don't see much of that in the past ten years or so. They are a reluctantly necessary cost center.

Old 04-20-2018, 07:08 AM

4,630 posts, read 4,898,966 times
Used to be.
Architect. I love it, but I like working in an office where there are printers, plotters, and no home distractions.

Old 04-20-2018, 07:13 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
I only work remotely on occasion, as a non-tech manager, but most of our tech people do regularly. In fact, they have cut their office space in half by doubling up since people are here so rarely. That includes people making over $100k such as server managers, network engineering managers, business case managers, and down at the $80k range such positions as database engineers and telecommunications infrastructure engineers.

Old 04-20-2018, 07:45 AM

4,972 posts, read 2,714,147 times
Default A Matter of Trust

I was a remote worker for the last 2 years of my IT career (2014 - 2016). I made much more than $80K per year. I was a software developer who did stints in new software development and maintenance and support.

It was very convenient working remote. I no longer had a commute of one hour one way. Two hours of commute time, gas, and wear and tear on the cars was saved per day when I went remote. Now I could roll out of bed in the morning and get to work immediately.

Unfortunately for my colleagues who are still working for this employer, this company is phasing remote workers out. No more working from home. The company no longer trusts its workers to work from home, no matter the workload or how well employees meet their deadlines or how productive they are.

Also in addition to that, they are shedding virtually all of their workers because they "make too much money" and are replacing them with workers earning about a third. Nice.

I have also heard that many companies who had initially embraced remote work are now maneuvering their employees back into the office. They say the reason is increased "collaboration". Hmm... Perhaps so. But perhaps it is also because those companies also don't trust their workers to work from home anymore. Who is to say if even top performers don't raid the refrigerator too many times, watch TV, play computer games, even take a nap now and then. Can the company be sure that a remote worker is working every single hour that they should be? Probably not.

Old 04-20-2018, 08:21 AM

4,972 posts, read 2,714,147 times
Default Anger, Rage and Money

By the way, my title was Programmer Analyst. I was proud of my profession and proud to tell people what I did. I enjoyed working in the whole software development life cycle. Client meetings, analysis, specifications, coding, testing, documentation, maintenance, and support (this one not so much, especially after hours).

However, due to my management's unrealistic expectations, impossible deadlines, metrics, aggressive stand on working very many overtime hours just for their own sake, and basic meanness, anger, and needless rage against its employees, I really cannot say that I enjoyed anything about my job. Management prevented me from doing so. I stuck it out there for 28 years. I did it for the money.

Old 04-20-2018, 08:50 AM

5,281 posts, read 6,590,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by divagotstyle07 View Post

Give me a run down.

Today is my last day at a remote job I had for 2 years. I made north of 6 figures. I've also had other remote positions where I made 6 figures.

I'm a senior software engineer in each one of these roles. I'm not the lead software engineer, but I'm typically right under the lead in most of my roles. I'm more of the "ideas" guy on team, meant to kind of mentor lesser experienced members, maintain coding standards, making our lives easier, and of course solve some of the "harder' problems that we deal with as a team.

I do like remote work, but I've gained 70 lbs since working remote. The remote work is very demanding and high stress. I work 12-14 hours a day. And I basically never turn my computer off. Only in the last 2 months I've started to balance my work hours, and now I'm starting to make it out to the gym more. But I think I'm better served going in the office.

Also because you are remote, a lot of managers feel this gives them a good excuse to micromanage. Being micromanaged as a remote worker is 10x worse being micromanaged when on site. I have little tolerance for micromanagers. If you can find a cool team with a decent manager, then go for it.

Old 04-20-2018, 09:26 AM

11,582 posts, read 6,738,871 times
Insurance sales, Auto, Home, Life, Commercial. I work remotely 2-3 days a week and in the office 1-2 days. Very laid back, easy work. I am an independent agent, meaning I can write for several companies.

My DH is a Mechanical Engineer and can work remotely if he wants to; however, he usually only does a few days a week. He travels a lot for his position as well to his companies plant locations within the U.S. and internationally. He makes well over 6 figures.

Last edited by CGab; 04-20-2018 at 09:38 AM..

Old 04-20-2018, 09:36 AM

1,781 posts, read 1,208,401 times
My employer has been firing all the remote employees over the last couple of years. Not sure I would recommend it as safe. Some were offered the option to come to an office, some were just cut.

Old 04-20-2018, 09:48 AM

5,281 posts, read 6,590,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatetodust View Post
My employer has been firing all the remote employees over the last couple of years. Not sure I would recommend it as safe. Some were offered the option to come to an office, some were just cut.
I've seen a lot of businesses move away from remote work. And I think it's for several reasons. For one, remote workers are likely to "moonlight". Like double up and work 2 remote positions (I've admittedly done this). Secondly people have abused these privileges and probably don't work as much either.

I don't think remote work is preferable for all forms of work. I've found it's better when the remote work is based more around project deadlines. And is less about "how many hours you're putting in a day". That's the main issue I've seen with remote work. Managers need to "prove you're doing 8 hours of work". When in reality if work is more project based the goal should be more about meeting your deadline. Which you can do with a remote job.

I think remote work is for the first time practical and very viable. And I think this is the first generation of workforce that can work remotely. Unfortunately old attitudes from management have to die, and employees have to also learn how not to abuse remote jobs. There are going to be some growing pains, but I do think that this is where the workforce is going sooner or later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment