Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2018, 07:38 PM

5,900 posts, read 3,900,192 times

Advertisements

How do unpaid internships generally work when it comes to being listed on a job application, as well as during background checks? Is it best to mention it on your resume, even if from several years ago to cover up a gap, and exclude it from listing it on an actual job application?

I did an unpaid internship for a few months during school a few years back in addition to my regular job at the time. None of the managers are still there and wouldn't even remember me if they saw me. I doubt the place has any records as I never signed any forms or clocked in/out, etc. I pretty much flew under the radar and could come and go as I pleased. Best to just have this on the resume and skip it on the job app?

Last edited by sandsthetime; 04-23-2018 at 07:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2018, 07:49 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,047,890 times
Include it on both if you think it will help you get the job. Leave it off both if you don’t think it will help you.

Putting it on one but not the other looks sloppy.

Old 04-24-2018, 06:42 AM

602 posts, read 505,129 times
Does the application specify to include internships? If so, you should put it down (since in that case they're asking about it, and leaving it off could be considered an omission).

Otherwise, it's best to have the application match your résumé.

Old 04-27-2018, 02:34 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,705,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Include it on both if you think it will help you get the job. Leave it off both if you don’t think it will help you. Putting it on one but not the other looks sloppy.
This.

Even with paid positions, it isn't clear to me that you are obligated to share information you don't wish to share. It is not only permitted but is actually standard practice to share only relevant job experience going back no more than twenty years, now, regardless of what other employment you've had. I am coming to realize that my co-workers who interviewed me were led to believe, by my youthful perspective and energetic disposition, that I was ten years younger than I actually am. If the omission of the first ten years of my professional work experience helped overcome age discrimination I might have been subjected to, then that's a good thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment