Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2018, 03:14 PM

4,418 posts, read 2,944,112 times

Advertisements

It does happen, but A good manager can see through that because promotions are decided by evaluating your performance over years, not a few months. A good employee can identify who is trying to throw them under the bus and protect or stand up for themselves. 90% of the managers I know deserved their promotions. At the end of the day promoting someone who isn't good at their position hurts the company and the manager who promoted them because their performance will suck.

Last edited by Berteau; 05-05-2018 at 03:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2018, 05:20 AM

370 posts, read 504,912 times
I work with a mess who is close to 70. She has thrown her higher up's right under the bus in meetings. It's so disgusting that we secretly pray her threats of retirement are true. She has spoken bad about our CEO and every director to me daily. I guess I will never understand because she is so close to retirement that she still has her claws out. I think it's in people's nature to behave like that.

Old 05-06-2018, 11:45 AM

1,063 posts, read 696,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieLand09 View Post
I guess I will never understand because she is so close to retirement that she still has her claws out. I think it's in people's nature to behave like that.
Yes and don't let anyone else tell you differently.

Unless proven wrong assume that most people are naturally capricious, cantankerous and unhinged. Your sanity will be much better for it.

Old 05-06-2018, 04:08 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,557,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Throwing people under the bus is rarely effective.
now u know thats a lie lol

to add people take credit for other peoples work ALL the time

Old 05-07-2018, 01:15 AM

2,074 posts, read 1,644,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Back View Post
When politicians run for office- they discredit their competition. Attack ads have shown to be the most effective way to win elections. Winning politicians make up lies about the competition, they mislead the public by taking things their competitors said out of context to make them look bad, and make complex issues seem easy to solve- which makes honest people look bad because they ask voters to look at issues intellectually.

I have seen lots of my coworkers in corporate America do the same thing and move ahead. Here is an example:

I worked at an organization that was growing fast. The Manager told the team that a new supervisor role was going to be created and one of us would be selected. He went on to say that he would be watching each of us carefully in the next few months to see which person was management material. Who worked the hardest, solved problems, did things that were above and beyond, etc?

So, instead of showing the boss that they were great employees and had management potential, each employee did their best to make the other people on the team look bad- so they would look good. They discredited their coworkers, made up lies, criticized their thoughtful approach on projects in meetings, tried to dig up dirt about things in their background, etc.

You know what happened? In the end, the most conniving office politician who made everyone look like idiots was selected for the promotion. I have seen this many times in my 30 years in corporate America.

Can you relate?
Yes. I have seen that many times. But you know the old saying "What goes around comes around..." The same politician who destroys others can wind up in an unexpected "Corporate shift" where management changes, team structures change, and hierarchies change. When that happens, the "political leverage machine" gets hazy and mistakes can be made by the political corporate ladder climber. I've seen those types of team leads get laid off, fired unexpectedly, demoted, etc. It doesn't happen overnight, but it often does at some point - "What goes around comes around..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnJzct7h3Dk

So, the manager who gives harsh performance reviews in biting detail needs to be careful. The "Karma" is often just around the corner in the near future. I was at one corporation that had harsh layoffs multiple times in Colorado. Today, it doesn't even exist anymore. The industry collapsed in the early 2000s.

Old 05-07-2018, 06:59 AM

7,977 posts, read 4,988,690 times
It doesn’t take long for people to figure out that in most places the ONLY reward for hard work and going above and beyond is just......more work thrown on you

Meanwhile, you will stuck in the same position forever. While those who spend their days avoiding work and schmoozing and playing politicians continue to gets you moved up the chain
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment