Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 08:24 AM

4,485 posts, read 3,861,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dltordj View Post
It would be nice if people could get clear info during an interview. if there is a lot of overtime say so, be specific about the schedule so that we know if it is going to work, or not. One of my bosses tells interviewees its a 12hr work day when the reality is, there are days when you might have a 16-17 hour day-People need to know that. As for some of the other stuff like needing time off, I wouldn't mention it unless I got an offer. If it bothers you that someone is being considerate in advance I wouldn't want to work for you anyway. People aren't robots we have obligations outside of work.
I am very clear during the interview about the hours that are required. Then people start arguing with me about the hours. "Well I don't want to work after 5 or on weekends or get emails after hours." OK, then go find another job!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2018, 08:25 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,265,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
I am very clear during the interview about the hours that are required. Then people start arguing with me about the hours. "Well I don't want to work after 5 or on weekends or get emails after hours." OK, then go find another job!

During the interview or after an offer? I guess if I was conducting the interview I'd be sure they understand there is no wiggle room/flexibility. If I covered all my bases I wouldnt even respond.

Old 05-10-2018, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dltordj View Post
During the interview or after an offer?
During the interview.

Old 05-10-2018, 08:30 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,308,249 times
Quote:
As someone who does a lot of hiring for a living, I am continually amazed at the horrible interview skills I see every day. Even from people who have had solid jobs (career paths) and are highly educated with several advanced degrees.

Here's some tips on what NOT to say or do during a preliminary job interview. Ever.

1. Showing up late to the interview. Dealbreaker. In my company, if you are not 15 minutes early, you are late. If you are 15 minutes late (I see this a lot), you are a waste of my time because there's no way you are getting hired.
Don't be a jerk about this. I've arrived at interviews with less than 15 minutes to spare due to circumstances way beyond my control. One time, I was almost late because a guy on a motorcycle hit a truck and I had to sit in traffic while paramedics and the fire department scraped what was left of his brain off the road. Good thing I decided to leave much earlier than I'd planned to; otherwise, I'd have been late.

Quote:
2. Saying you want a 9-5 job. No full-time job is ever 9-5 in my company.
It's not unreasonable to expect your teammates and your leadership to strive for as little overtime as possible. If you have to work overtime constantly you're understaffed, your processes suck, or your infrastructure sucks (or any combination of those).

If you have individuals or teams consistently working 10+ hours of overtime per week, you're looking at a serious problem. If you have a team of four production DBAs and they're averaging 60 hours per week per head, you don't have enough DBAs. Period. DBAs can find a better job somewhere else. Nut up and staff up.

Quote:
3. Saying you need to be able to take your kids to school, pick up your kids from school, and take them to after-school activities every work day. Sorry, this is what nannies are for.
Good lord. Yeah, lemme just go pick some money off the tree and hire a nanny. I don't know anyone who has a nanny and I know some pretty damn rich people.

Quote:
4. Saying you need a month off every year for your annual family vacation to XYZ country.
I actually agree with this. I get tired of my colleagues from a particular nation (*cough*India*cough*) taking 4-5 weeks off in a row and "working" remotely for part of that. I've seen American colleagues ask for the same consideration for a family vacation and never getting approval for it.

Quote:
5. Checking your text messages on your phone during the interview.

6. Saying that that only reason you applied for the job is so you can get health insurance.

7. Showing up to the interview with an unsightly appearance.

8. Talking about politics during the interview and how much you "would really like to leave the country due to Donald Trump."

9. Saying you are getting married and will need a month off for your wedding and honeymoon right after you start.

10. Saying the only reason you applied for this job is so you can work from home.
Sounds like you're attracting some pretty low-quality applicants...I guess you're not offering enough money, especially for them to hire those nannies you think they should have.

Old 05-10-2018, 08:38 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,295,082 times
Quote:
As someone who does a lot of hiring for a living, I am continually amazed at the horrible interview skills I see every day. Even from people who have had solid jobs (career paths) and are highly educated with several advanced degrees.

Here's some tips on what NOT to say or do during a preliminary job interview. Ever.

1. Showing up late to the interview. Dealbreaker. In my company, if you are not 15 minutes early, you are late. If you are 15 minutes late (I see this a lot), you are a waste of my time because there's no way you are getting hired.

2. Saying you want a 9-5 job. No full-time job is ever 9-5 in my company.

3. Saying you need to be able to take your kids to school, pick up your kids from school, and take them to after-school activities every work day. Sorry, this is what nannies are for.

4. Saying you need a month off every year for your annual family vacation to XYZ country.

5. Checking your text messages on your phone during the interview.

6. Saying that that only reason you applied for the job is so you can get health insurance.

7. Showing up to the interview with an unsightly appearance.

8. Talking about politics during the interview and how much you "would really like to leave the country due to Donald Trump."

9. Saying you are getting married and will need a month off for your wedding and honeymoon right after you start.

10. Saying the only reason you applied for this job is so you can work from home.

Get over yourself. yes - you raise a few good points here but no - work is not my entire life, it never has been, and it never will be.

Old 05-10-2018, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Don't be a jerk about this. I've arrived at interviews with less than 15 minutes to spare due to circumstances way beyond my control. One time, I was almost late because a guy on a motorcycle hit a truck and I had to sit in traffic while paramedics and the fire department scraped what was left of his brain off the road. Good thing I decided to leave much earlier than I'd planned to; otherwise, I'd have been late.

It's not unreasonable to expect your teammates and your leadership to strive for as little overtime as possible. If you have to work overtime constantly you're understaffed, your processes suck, or your infrastructure sucks (or any combination of those).

If you have individuals or teams consistently working 10+ hours of overtime per week, you're looking at a serious problem. If you have a team of four production DBAs and they're averaging 60 hours per week per head, you don't have enough DBAs. Period. DBAs can find a better job somewhere else. Nut up and staff up.

Good lord. Yeah, lemme just go pick some money off the tree and hire a nanny. I don't know anyone who has a nanny and I know some pretty damn rich people.

I actually agree with this. I get tired of my colleagues from a particular nation (*cough*India*cough*) taking 4-5 weeks off in a row and "working" remotely for part of that. I've seen American colleagues ask for the same consideration for a family vacation and never getting approval for it.

Sounds like you're attracting some pretty low-quality applicants...I guess you're not offering enough money, especially for them to hire those nannies you think they should have.

LOL!!!!!!!!!! Hey was that you who starting bad-mouthing Trump! Guess what? YOU ARE NOT HIRED!

Old 05-10-2018, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
why does it matter if it is an interview... who says i am forced to accept the job offer even if they give one? who says i wont leave in three months before the vacation?

a job is conditioned on both parties, the interview goes both ways. if i dont like the people there, there are more companies out there. its easier to find a new job than it is to find a good employee and companies know it
Winner.

Old 05-10-2018, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Get over yourself. yes - you raise a few good points here but no - work is not my entire life, it never has been, and it never will be.
That's great! Work is not my entire life either!

Old 05-10-2018, 08:42 AM

Quote:
That's great! Work is not my entire life either!
But you say that nobody works 9 to 5 at your company. That means that you apparently require night or weekend work or off the clock work or whatever. So apparently work does run your life and you expect it to run your employees lives as well.

Old 05-10-2018, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
But you say that nobody works 9 to 5 at your company. That means that you apparently require night or weekend work or off the clock work or whatever. So apparently work does run your life and you expect it to run your employees lives as well.
My company requires some night and weekend travel, yes, every few months. Going to trade shows. But all of that time is credited back in the form of PTO.

Also since people work from home, they are free to do whatever they want during the day. As long as the work gets done. If they wanna take Tuesday and Thursday off and spend both days at a spa, and do the work during the weekend, that's their choice. There is no monitoring people's hours, nor do people have to clock in or out.

I am the kind of person who checks work email after hours, but that is also not required. But I will be impressed if you reply to my emails at 7 p.m.

My boss emails me on weekends. Sometimes I reply, sometimes I don't. There is no pressure or requirement to do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment