Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 07:56 PM

1,607 posts, read 1,945,301 times

Advertisements

Got my B.A. and M.A. in Administration of Justice. I later got my J.D. The G.I. Bill payed for 90%. I did 40 years in law enforcement. I use my law degree performing pro bono legal aid. I have a B1 state contractors license, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2018, 07:57 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,186,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrolman View Post
Got my B.A. and M.A. in Administration of Justice. I later got my J.D. The G.I. Bill payed for 90%. I did 40 years in law enforcement. I use my law degree performing pro bono legal aid. I have a B1 state contractors license, too.

Very cool.

Old 05-15-2018, 08:14 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,652,717 times
I have a couple and neither one was necessary or did a thing for my employment.

Higher education is a huge scam.

Old 05-15-2018, 08:15 PM

4,972 posts, read 2,712,589 times
B.S. Geography

B.S. Health Care Administration

M.B.A. in Information Systems

M.A. in Organizational Leadership

My last IT employer paid for my last three degrees. Looking back, it was worth it. It gave me enhanced credibility and the satisfaction of accomplishing something.

Old 05-15-2018, 08:33 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,736,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFSGood View Post
I hear so much today about college grads leaving school with a boatload of loan debt ending up as barristers.

So I'm wondering, how is your degree serving you? What was your major? Are you in your chosen field?

Importantly, do you believe you'd have been better off learning a trade and becoming a journeyman in those years it took to get your degree (and your debt load)?
Oceanography. Can't work as an oceanographer with out one, so yes its working out great.

I wanted to be a scientist, can't be one without a degree. WRT to my graduate degree, I use that information everyday.

My daughter is also an oceanographer but in a very different discipline, she graduated with just under $40K in debt. She is going to grad school with a grant, so that will be paid for. She will likely get a post doc in her field around $60k, not very high for a PhD but enough for those who are passionate about what they do.

Old 05-15-2018, 08:38 PM

989 posts, read 1,877,530 times
This isn't meant to judge people who didn't attend college. It's not for everyone, and you shouldn't attend if it doesn't fit into your future plans. Nevertheless, this never ending topic on City Data Forum questioning the value of a college degree gets old.Was college worth it? Yes it was, and that's the end of the story. It's my own personal experience that the majority of the naysayers fall into the below categories.

1. You never attended.
2. You attended, but you never finished.
3. You graduated, but you did nothing meaningful personally or professionally with your life, and you really did waste your time.

Old 05-15-2018, 08:50 PM

12,847 posts, read 9,060,155 times
BS in Physics; MS Aerospace. Plus enough courses to equal a couple more if they were actually in a defined program. My job pays for advanced training, so I'm happy to take whatever they offer.

Career wise, I'm doing what I wanted to do on some very cool projects that I would never have been able to do if I didn't have the degree I had. It was what I wanted to do since being a kid in the 60s, so I'm living the dream. My "debt" was paid in exchange with my Uncle. Sam told me where to go and I went.

My daughter just graduated this past week with her degree in physics as well. Looks like she will start grad school this fall. She has about $60K in debt. My son cut the same deal with Uncle I did.

Old 05-15-2018, 10:10 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,542,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Its not the degree.
Some people think it only takes a degree to be successful

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
Yes, it was the degree.

You could take the poorest of the poor, get them a college degree and bam, instant middle class. Why? Because of the degree they where hired on the spot into good paying jobs.

Old 05-15-2018, 11:11 PM

335 posts, read 356,693 times
I graduated college from a small state school in 2006 and was $20k in debt. Quickly paid off the debt by living at home for a few months and working side gigs, temp jobs, etc.. Couldn't find a real job until 2008.

Now make well over six figures and get to travel to a bunch of cool cities for my job. I dont think the college degree really did much except prove that I could stick with something for 4-years.

Old 05-15-2018, 11:39 PM

8 posts, read 3,053 times
My situation is really odd

Failed/dropped out of high school
Later in my early 20s, came back and got a HS diploma
Went to college, got bored (passed all classes) dropped out
Ended up in the exact field I was studying anyway without the actual college degree. Was promoted up the ladder like everyone else due to my work ethic and real world knowledge and book smarts. Now I still don't have a degree but I'm certified in whatever got me in the door of the big companies and I've been here ever since

The difference for me degree vs cert is basically with a certification in something specific you learn what you're supposed to about that topic, project etc...

Degrees are great for management stuff imo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment