Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 06:41 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,542,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
Yes, I struggled. Overall, I'm doing ok, but it hasn't been easy. Had I gotten a BS in Engineering, my salary trajectory would have been better than my non-STEM undergrad + MBA.
Had you won the lotto your salary wouldn't matter... There are all the if onlys in the world but you didn't do those unless you got a time machine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2018, 07:31 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,460,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
Had you won the lotto your salary wouldn't matter... There are all the if onlys in the world but you didn't do those unless you got a time machine
Isn't the whole point of this thread to examine the onlys? Should someone have bothered to get their Bachelor's/Master's/PhD's or instead stopped after high school or gone to a trade school?

I am a big advocate of trade school. I think more men should go to trade school instead of university. It would be better for the individual men, and possibly the economy at large. For women, trade schools like medical assisting and dental hygienist school are better bets than a women's studies/art history/most liberal arts degrees at universities.

Old 05-23-2018, 06:00 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,644,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganGreg View Post
On the other hand, my next door neighbor became a multi-millionaire by owning and selling bars. He has virtually no reasoning skills, and can't hold a sentence together with epoxy- but sure knows liquor and people. That's a talent.

From observation, it's clearly the person that creates success...not just the knowledge.
College degrees make you look better to others and feel better to yourself, but I've always "blamed" everything on personality, not education. Will an engineer with a master's fail at owning an engineering consulting business since they don't have a business or accounting degree? Of course not. There are so many subjects that involve owning a business: accounting, marketing, sales, operations, administration, purchasing, supply chain, customer service. No one can possibly get college degrees in all of these. Most everyone just has a degree in 1-2 subjects and use their personality (i.e., their best judgment) to run it, yet there are so many successful businesses out there. So to have a successful business, it takes their personality more than their education.

Old 05-25-2018, 01:32 PM

5,342 posts, read 14,140,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by izannimda View Post
This isn't meant to judge people who didn't attend college. It's not for everyone, and you shouldn't attend if it doesn't fit into your future plans. Nevertheless, this never ending topic on City Data Forum questioning the value of a college degree gets old.Was college worth it? Yes it was, and that's the end of the story. It's my own personal experience that the majority of the naysayers fall into the below categories.

1. You never attended.
2. You attended, but you never finished.
3. You graduated, but you did nothing meaningful personally or professionally with your life, and you really did waste your time.
^^^^ this! +1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment