Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2018, 05:11 PM

5,907 posts, read 4,432,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
How much thought do you put into how you come across in an interview compared to the skills you show? Did you attempt to show any humility when answering questions?

I agree emotions are hard to control, though. Pride being one that is difficult for younger people to control, and one that comes out as arrogance in interviews.
I’m guessing there was no humility. And the first question they would have internally is “can I put this person out at a client in front of cfo or manager?”. Aka a person who knows nothing displaying rampant arrogance is going to be put in front of professionals with a decade+ of actual experience.

It’s funny because you don’t think you come across as arrogant but I literally remembered you from probably a year or more ago the last time you brought this up. I’m sure you make a great impression lmao when talking about yourself in person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2018, 05:20 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,186,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
I’m guessing there was no humility. And the first question they would have internally is “can I put this person out at a client in front of cfo or manager?”. Aka a person who knows nothing displaying rampant arrogance is going to be put in front of professionals with a decade+ of actual experience.

It’s funny because you don’t think you come across as arrogant but I literally remembered you from probably a year or more ago the last time you brought this up. I’m sure you make a great impression lmao when talking about yourself in person.
I already had experience in engineering consulting and was successful. I had already worked with CEOs, executives etc.....

And if you want to start making it personal, go ahead, really, I have been through the wringer and I am still here. I can take it, keep laughing.

Old 05-16-2018, 05:24 PM

Quote:
How much thought do you put into how you come across in an interview compared to the skills you show? Did you attempt to show any humility when answering questions?

I agree emotions are hard to control, though. Pride being one that is difficult for younger people to control, and one that comes out as arrogance in interviews.
I wasn't that young. I guess if someone was 60-70 years old they would think I was, lol.

I participated in MANY mock interviews over a three year period, worked with lots of coaches. Never came up.

Lets remember, I have worked before, interviewed lots, lots of offers, never had issues getting hired before etc....

Old 05-16-2018, 05:26 PM

5,985 posts, read 2,918,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
I wasn't that young. I guess if someone was 60-70 years old they would think I was, lol.

I participated in MANY mock interviews over a three year period, worked with lots of coaches. Never came up.

Lets remember, I have worked before, interviewed lots, lots of offers, never had issues getting hired before etc....
You didn't answer my questions.

Old 05-16-2018, 05:28 PM

Quote:
You didn't answer my questions.

I do.

I always try to look at it from the companies perspective and answer questions from what I can do for them.

Old 05-16-2018, 05:33 PM

5,985 posts, read 2,918,690 times
Quote:
I do.

I always try to look at it from the companies perspective and answer questions from what I can do for them.
How do you think it comes across to say you can easily pass the CPA when you have put no time into it yet? Do you think about how you come across from a personal perspective, not just from the company's?

Quote:
I was in an interview and was asked if I had started taking the CPA exam yet. I wasn't even finished with school yet at the time.

I told the lady, not yet, but I definitely will do it and it won't be a problem. I'll pass it easily. Of course I didn't say those exact words, but that was the point.
Quote:
They already knew I had a 4.0 gpa and I had just been given an award and scholarship that the faculty grants to the number one student in the senior class. They also knew I already had an engineering degree, 6 years experience in engineering etc....
Was this interview while you were in school, or six years after getting a degree? Or was this interview while you were in grad school after working full time as an engineer for six years?

Old 05-16-2018, 05:40 PM

5,907 posts, read 4,432,537 times
So uhh mr. Engineer. I have to wonder why a great talent such as yourself who was a valued consultant working with CEO’s choose to slog it out with an easy major and an easy liscensing exam where you would be making less money at entry level? Why bother switching careers? That’s a lot of time to dedicate to something you think so lowly of. Surely, the recruiters were all over your great mind in the engineering field?

I’m going to guess that you never got that big four accounting job and broke into the field, which explains the massive axe to grind.

Last edited by Thatsright19; 05-16-2018 at 06:12 PM..

Old 05-16-2018, 06:15 PM

Quote:
How do you think it comes across to say you can easily pass the CPA when you have put no time into it yet? Do you think about how you come across from a personal perspective, not just from the company's?

Was this interview while you were in school, or six years after getting a degree? Or was this interview while you were in grad school after working full time as an engineer for six years?
I first went to school and got a degree in engineering, then worked 6 years, then stopped and watched my kid for 6 years (born with medical issues), tried to get back into engineering for one year, no hire, went back to school for accounting etc........

Old 05-16-2018, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
So uhh mr. Engineer. I have to wonder why a great talent such as yourself who was a valued consultant working with CEO’s choose to slog it out with an easy major and an easy liscensing exam where you would be making less money at entry level? Why bother switching careers? That’s a lot of time to dedicate to something you think so lowly of. Surely, the recruiters were all over your great mind in the engineering field?

I’m going to guess that you never got that big four accounting job and broke into the field, which explains the massive axe to grind.
I stopped to watch my kid full time. After the years off I couldn't get back into engineering. Went back to school, was starting over in a new field/career etc.... I don't think lowly of it. I just found it easy to learn because it is very straight forward. I picked accounting because I enjoy it, I could get through it in two years, and I never expected to land a big 4 job. Any public accounting job or anything that would qualify for my CPA licensure was fine with me. I wasn't picky. I was pretty realistic about that.

Last edited by High Altitude; 05-16-2018 at 06:36 PM..

Old 05-16-2018, 06:23 PM

Quote:

If I was interviewing, I would want to hire someone who was confident they would pass the exam. You don't want to hire people who can't pass the exam. I never said easily in the interview. I wouldn't want to hire someone who talked about just trying their best, we will see what happens, but its so hard I am not so sure......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment