Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 12:44 PM

4,972 posts, read 2,712,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolovefromANFIELD View Post
Most of you are looking at this wrong. Uncertainty is here to stay, and will only increase. You can whine about it, moralize it until the end of days, but it won't change.

If you start looking at uncertainty not as a detriment, but as a fact of life, you'll adapt, and not only survive, but thrive.
So we should just shut up and try to put a fig leaf over these problems? This site is all about discussion and and attempts to try to find solutions. More uncertainty means less success and less survival no matter how one can try to adapt. Also, discussing these issues can help with adapting to situations that are salvageable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2018, 01:03 PM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,907 posts, read 2,069,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
So we should just shut up and try to put a fig leaf over these problems? This site is all about discussion and and attempts to try to find solutions. More uncertainty means less success and less survival no matter how one can try to adapt. Also, discussing these issues can help with adapting to situations that are salvageable.
Who told you to shut up? You want to solve a problem? Start doing things that work, and stop doing things that don't. Externalizing problems doesn't solve anything. Blaming the society doesn't solve anything. Society doesn't care about you.

More uncertainty to ME means more opportunity. And, that's all I care about. And, btw that is how we improve the overall society. Law of unintended consequences. We don't improve society by trying to social engineer that society, but rather by improving the one thing that we can control--ourselves.

Old 05-22-2018, 02:03 PM

1,063 posts, read 696,886 times
Quote:
Who told you to shut up? You want to solve a problem? Start doing things that work, and stop doing things that don't. Externalizing problems doesn't solve anything. Blaming the society doesn't solve anything. Society doesn't care about you.

More uncertainty to ME means more opportunity. And, that's all I care about. And, btw that is how we improve the overall society. Law of unintended consequences. We don't improve society by trying to social engineer that society, but rather by improving the one thing that we can control--ourselves.
Your utilities require payment every month
Your grocer does not operate on an IOU system
This is not a barter society where you can trade a skill in the case you don't have spare currency
Uncertainty doesn't work - Capitalism cannot operate in environments where there isn't a certain degree of guaranteed or consistent income or funds either from the government or from the production of the proletariat

There are ~30 day cycles for everything
- Pay
- Shipments
- Crops
- Estrus/Hormone levels
- Weather patterns/climate

Human civilization doesn't exist without cycles, dependency on consistent flow and levels of commerce based on available commodities and value added services.

To say that uncertainty = opportunity is false.

Economic uncertainty up until 1940's almost certainly led to starvation and death.

Old 05-22-2018, 02:12 PM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechaMan View Post
This is not a barter society where you can trade a skill in the case you don't have spare currency
Uncertainty doesn't work - Capitalism cannot operate in environments where there isn't a certain degree of guaranteed income or funds either from the government or from the production of the proletariat

- Pay
- Shipments
- Crops
- Estrus/Hormone levels

Human civilization doesn't exist without cycles, dependency on consistent flow and levels of commerce based on available commodities and value added services.

Economic uncertainty up until 1940's almost certainly led to starvation and death.
Listen, can we have a conversation without all the hyperbolas and doom's day scenarios?

World didn't start to exist with the advent of the Industrial Revolution or when the true population growth explosion started with the advent of the Agricultural Revolution 10,000 years ago.

We are a lot more resilient than we give ourselves credit for. All the comforts we have today have made us weak. But, that's not even the point of my argument. My point is that uncertainty will happen whether or not I, or you, or anyone else wants it. As societies move out of the depths of poverty and join the global market place, their services become much more attractive. Asia is coming of age now, Africa will be next.

You can deny reality all you want, or you can do something about it.

Old 05-22-2018, 02:35 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,961,640 times
That's the problem. Working as a salaried employee for a single company does not equal certainty. Doesn't mean you will have a job in a year from now. Whole towns have hit the skids when the big employer leaves town. I'm not sure that working as a contractor is any riskier than working for a company as a salaried employee.

There is no certainty any more, no cradle to grave security except from the government in the forms of unemployment insurance, Medicaid, Welfare, SS, Medicare. The implied contract between employers and employees died about the same time CEO's started downsizing, shipping jobs oversees or giving them to contractors and putting the savings in their own pockets in the form of multimillion dollar salaries, stock options and bonuses. One company I spent 27 years at and retired from gave the employees an average raise of 2-1/2 % at the same time that the CEO awarded himself a $66 million bonus. The bonus was justified with cost savings from downsizing department personnel, hiring contractors to do work previously done by company employees, and eliminating pensions for new emplyees. This was back in the 1990's.

It is every man for himself and has been for quite some time. I always told myself and people I knew that to your boss you are just a piece of furniture like a desk or chair. If a leg on a chair or desk is broken, they don't repair the desk or chair, they discard it. You are only as good as what you can do for your boss, and it better be a multiple of what you are being paid.

Human civilization has always been unpredictable, dangerous and often brutal. The phenomena of the corporate employee with lifetime employment followed by a good pension was probably an anomaly that lasted about 50 years starting in the 50's and started to vanish by the 90's. The first thing to go was decent raises, then employer paid pensions, then the influence of unions in protecting jobs. But it's still difficult for an employer to find a good employee. Like stocks and bonds and houses, employees now have a market value and employers are going to try to get the most value for the least they can spend. Work is just another commodity. No one is going to put the genie back in the bottle. Placing profits as their most important priority by CEO's is not only expected, many CEO's claim it is legally required of them. Like they say, if you can't beat them, join them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechaMan View Post
Uncertainty doesn't work - Capitalism cannot operate in environments where there isn't a certain degree of guaranteed income or funds either from the government or from the production of the proletariat

- Pay
- Shipments
- Crops
- Estrus/Hormone levels

Last edited by bobspez; 05-22-2018 at 02:48 PM..

Old 05-22-2018, 11:03 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,038,208 times
I work a gig job and it pays pennies. Most of the others I know who do this work the gigs on top of a regular job. Why? Because the regular job doesn't pay enough to live on. Not even a basic existence for 1 person.

Old 05-23-2018, 01:55 AM

4,972 posts, read 2,712,589 times
Quote:

Simply discussing problems doesn't mean you are blaming society. You are trying to find solutions. Some problems simply cannot be solved. We do control ourselves but sometimes that is not enough to solve the problem. It is not simply a black or white solution, but compromises through shades of gray.

I am speaking about the problems that I have discussed from a theoretical perspective anyway because I do not have to deal with it anymore. I have already solved the problem for me because I have retired and no longer have to work for a living.

So who is blaming society? Who is externalizing problems?

Old 05-23-2018, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
Simply discussing problems doesn't mean you are blaming society. You are trying to find solutions. Some problems simply cannot be solved. We do control ourselves but sometimes that is not enough to solve the problem. It is not simply a black or white solution, but compromises through shades of gray.

I am speaking about the problems that I have discussed from a theoretical perspective anyway because I do not have to deal with it anymore. I have already solved the problem for me because I have retired and no longer have to work for a living.

So who is blaming society? Who is externalizing problems?
Again, when I say you, I don't mean specifically you, but people who agree with you. A segment of population.

Reminiscing about some "better times" in the past and trying to hold on to that isn't a realistic discussion. My argument isn't about morality, but rather effectiveness.

Companies, individuals and governments who understand trends and adapt, do better than their counterparts who don't.

Progress doesn't comprise.

Old 05-23-2018, 08:59 AM

11,582 posts, read 6,736,853 times
Just a guess, but I think more people are focusing on school and getting a degree so they need a "GIG" job instead of a full time job.

Old 05-23-2018, 10:11 AM

779 posts, read 472,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
Just a guess, but I think more people are focusing on school and getting a degree so they need a "GIG" job instead of a full time job.
Then why are all my uber drivers seem to be 30 plus, working on top of an addition, FT job?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment