Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2018, 03:06 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,852,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
This is worth a link.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Executive_Order_10988

Donald Trump's best quality is that he never worked for any branch of government in any capacity before becoming president. He is unique among the presidents in this.
Well, he didn't have to be hired for it, he was elected into it. The skills and qualifications necessary to vote are pretty minimal, in contrast to job candidate performance requirements.

Last edited by Parnassia; 05-27-2018 at 03:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2018, 03:22 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,852,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
I've only worked in the private sector where people actually, you know, contribute to GDP, far away from Federal employment centers, where the Federal government and its employees are unimportant at best, or a nuisance at worst.
Okaaay, I suspect the communities that depend on revenue generated by federal employees working and living there would disagree with you. National parks, national forests, recreation areas, federally funded utilities, reservoirs, water conservation districts, VA and other military services, just to name a few. I've lived and worked in small communities where the largest or only employer was a federal office. Guess who generates the tax revenues that pays for public services all benefit from?

Last edited by Parnassia; 05-27-2018 at 03:30 PM..

Old 05-27-2018, 03:34 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,898,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
I disagree.

If someone is doing good work, they should be allowed to earn a living for as long as they are doing good work. That part should be guaranteed.

There are no such guarantees in the private sector. Someone can do good work and still lose their jobs.
Good point. I've heard too many horror stories from friends and acquaintances of mine who have worked in state/federal jobs about people who do little/nothing and do not lose their jobs because it was pretty much impossible to discipline let alone fire them for poor job performance.

Not doing your job in the private sector or being incompetent at it pretty much guarantees that you won't have the job very long!

Completely true that good workers can still lose their jobs in the private sector. Nepotism, general downturns in business, and so on. Numerous reasons why.

It should be no different in government jobs. If someone is being lazy then it should be "at will" like it is in most states so they can get someone in there who WILL do the job and be grateful for it.

Old 05-27-2018, 03:51 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,467,226 times
The oligarchs have done a great job making working people their own worst enemy. Pretty sad when you think about it.

Old 05-27-2018, 04:19 PM

5,900 posts, read 3,901,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
The oligarchs have done a great job making working people their own worst enemy. Pretty sad when you think about it.
I prefer the term "kleptocrat" because it brings in the ideas of criminality and looting. As we've seen in the past, kleptocracy is both a system and a class phenomenon. In class terms, it is comprised of the ruling rich and a servant class made up of the elites. These two classes compete with and loot each other if they can, but primarily predate on the rest of us in the 99%. In terms of a system, kleptocracy takes over control of all public institutions: Wall Street, the government (executive, legislature, judiciary, regulatory bodies, etc.), academia, and the media.

Old 05-27-2018, 04:37 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,738,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post
A federal job to many is like winning the lottery. Its 30 to 50 percent higher than private sector with retirement benefits for the stars.
Exactly and it seems almost impossible to get fired! Just look at people who work at the DMV? Now I know it’s not everywhere because when we moved to Indiana these people were fast and friendly, but ANY DMV facility in Illinois has the laziest slowest employees EVER!!!

Old 05-27-2018, 04:49 PM

7,241 posts, read 4,552,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
Exactly and it seems almost impossible to get fired! Just look at people who work at the DMV? Now I know it’s not everywhere because when we moved to Indiana these people were fast and friendly, but ANY DMV facility in Illinois has the laziest slowest employees EVER!!!
Err DMV is State Government.

Old 05-27-2018, 05:06 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,876,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
I don't know that it's like hitting the lottery. It depends on the profession. For middle class type positions, it is probably great. For healthcare professionals, consultants, CPAs, lawyers from top law schools, they can almost all make a good amount more in private sector. I had the opportunity for a federal position after my fellowship and I was tempted (I'm in healthcare), but I got a significantly higher offer at an academic institution. Although, the federal govt retirement benefits are probably a little better than what I'm getting, so long-term the difference may not be that much.

For high income professions, you can't get rich working for the federal government, where as the opportunity for very high income can exist in the private sector if you are in certain professions and have lots of experience (and are good at your job). Plus, federal employees have to deal with the stress and embarrassment (of feeling helpless and like a pawn) of government shutdowns every few months, which isn't exactly the best quality of life.

Bottom line, federal jobs are solid and good for many, but for some professions I wouldn't really consider landing a federal job "hitting the lottery."

Old 05-27-2018, 05:16 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,988,690 times
Well government shutdowns technically don't last long anyways. I mean its nowhere near as painful with the constant stress of private sector layoffs incessant downsizing and constantly have to look for work. I mean, you can be potentially looking for a job for a YEAR or more in the private sector. Would you rather deal with government shutdowns or months (if not years) of private sector layoffs.

Agreed, high end positions you're better off in the private sector. But not everyone can be a lawyer, CPA, etc. If you're just a middle class individual, government is the ONLY way to go these days.

Its better to be at the mercy of the government than some greedy corporate execs for most people any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Chances of retirement in the public sector? Far better than chances of retirement in the private sector these days too.

Even moving for private sector employment is a gamble since there is no guarantee you will even keep the job. You could end up moving just to face MORE Layoffs.

If you get the opportunity to work a federal position, not sure why anyone would choose private sector over that.

Old 05-27-2018, 05:18 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,228,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
I don't know the mechanics of the enforcement of an executive order. Is it more than a sort of press release?
An executive order becomes a regulation that is enforced by the agency as any other regulation.

It is not law - it is a regulation - an interpretation of the law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment