Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2018, 08:13 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,150,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
What’s even more sad is your willingness to roll over and let yourself be kicked in the nads on a continuous basis. Stand up for yourself and take charge of your life! This person needs to be reported to everyone you can think of.
Amen to that.

WTH is "workplace mobbing?" I've been in business 28 years and never seen anything like that, even with some poindexter pinhead types. All that went out with 9th Grade in high school. Nerds usually make interesting company anyway, I've always found, being a bit that way myself despite being an ogre and motorcycle maniac most of my adult life.

Be that as it may, obviously the first and last step is to document, document, document: 1) when occurred 2) where 3) what was said 4) witnesses 5) outcomes. Preferably, violations of laws in your opinion too, though that last is optional I suspect.

Without some, most, or all of the above, doesn't mean anything and it's paranoid nebbish behavior, no more or less. I'm assuming OP has all this prepared, so s/he needs to share an episode or two, please, with those details...?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2018, 08:26 PM

811 posts, read 622,545 times
I think this may be the first thread I’ve seen where the OP self bumps AND infers that he/she is physically attractive.

Grow a pair and stand up to that mean poopy-head.

Old 05-27-2018, 08:29 PM

5,182 posts, read 5,253,359 times
Bullying by adults in a work setting???? Huh? I mean, it's bad enough when 12-year-olds do it in the school yard, rip off your lunch money and such, but adults? I can't believe that any employer whose goal is to make a profit would tolerate this nonsense from employees. That type of behavior has got to affect efficiency and productivity and the employer's bottom line.

Old 05-27-2018, 09:26 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Most people are bullied and don't realize it and more so, if they think they are, they don't hear anyone else say they are too or see everyone else. Why, it is the "tough guise" that both men and women have to project to protect themselves from signs of weakness. My mother was bullied by a sexist boss who did everything they could that it wasn't gender-based harassment. I'm sure she wasn't the only one, but you rarely talk about it to know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
What’s even more sad is your willingness to roll over and let yourself be kicked in the nads on a continuous basis. Stand up for yourself and take charge of your life! This person needs to be reported to everyone you can think of.
If it is a co-worker that isn't a supervisor, maybe you can step up. A supervisor though has you by the balls unless you ask for a transfer or walkaway from the company. You can't say "up your's" because that is insubordination. Also HR don't look out for the employees, just protecting the shield.

Old 05-27-2018, 09:50 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,467,226 times
There needs to be a term identifying this behavior as something other than "bullying" because that leaves people with images of the schoolyard. But employers call it that to get out of being sued. It's really harassment...but calling it that would open up a can of worms that nobody wants.

Old 05-27-2018, 10:53 PM

635 posts, read 784,539 times
Grow a pair! speak up if it is that bad.

Old 05-27-2018, 11:09 PM

5,714 posts, read 4,291,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
There needs to be a term identifying this behavior as something other than "bullying" because that leaves people with images of the schoolyard. But employers call it that to get out of being sued. It's really harassment...but calling it that would open up a can of worms that nobody wants.

The term harassment is already taken

Old 05-27-2018, 11:27 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,467,226 times
It's taken and hard to prove. But if you labeled this behavior (which is harassment) appropriately, it would allow more people to seek redress against their employers. That would be bad for the employers and legal system, because this behavior is tolerated in many organizations.

Old 05-28-2018, 12:20 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
I apologize about being negative, this is rather truthful and this truth by nature is on the negative side.
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
It's taken and hard to prove. But if you labeled this behavior (which is harassment) appropriately, it would allow more people to seek redress against their employers. That would be bad for the employers and legal system, because this behavior is tolerated in many organizations.
The issue is unless you can prove it, is it worth going down that route? As I mentioned in my previous post on the topic, HR isn't there for you, they are there to cover the business' ass. If you were to report potential harassment claims to HR, unless you have damning proof (a wire, cell phone video, security cameras, witnesses, etc.) you are likely to be let go and not the harassing party. If you want to bring it up to HR you have two choices, just find somewhere else and don't say anything or lawyer up in case of retaliatory firing. Now of course, the company will say you were terminated for "performance", "business contraction", "closing the department", or whatever excuse they may use, but it is convenient that they only do it AFTER you make a complaint to HR about being bullied, harassed or whatever you wanna call it. Also, if you plan to make a complaint to HR, I would document it with an e-mail to the person you talked to within that day so they can't say "oh no formal complaint was made about Joe Smith." You don't want to go legal even if you have your ducks in a row, because often things like these will go public record and it could tarnish your brand reputation. Plain and simple, in many ways our corporate and even public masters have us over a barrel. Maybe those who go into business for themselves have it right, sadly most good entrepreneurial enterprises require money we don't have lying around.

I haven't had this issue myself, but rather this is what I read all the time on here. This could be because the school district I work for tries to be as "safe" bullying wise as possible whether you talk student or faculty.

Old 05-28-2018, 06:31 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,394,892 times
my boss was a bully, a crooked under the table bully, owner thought he was perfect, when the help quit paying him any attention, he could not handle it and finally took his own life. a totally control freak
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment