Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What women wants: Take care of children or Work?
Take care of children 62 45.93%
Work/career 73 54.07%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2018, 10:35 AM

7,457 posts, read 4,695,683 times

Advertisements

As a guy, the money she would bring certainly helps a lot but I wonder if that's what women really want?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2018, 10:37 AM

387 posts, read 638,527 times
Deep inside, would you ever ask a man the same question? And if not, why would you ask the same of women?

Old 05-25-2018, 10:40 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,104,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALStafford View Post
Deep inside, would you ever ask a man the same question? And if not, why would you ask the same of women?
I think deep down inside, most MEN would prefer sitting at home and taking care of the children (let alone women).

I know I sure I would.

But social stigma dictates that having a woman go to work and support you is major taboo. That is pretty much 80% of the reason men would not entertain this idea more often.

Though my brother in law has no problem with it.

19,815 posts, read 9,381,719 times
It depends ENTIRELY on the woman. Some women would love to not work and just stay home and take care of the kids, but that would drive other women crazy.

7,457 posts, read 4,695,683 times
@ALStafford, I think men are expected to work. Isn't that a given?

Old 05-25-2018, 10:47 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,104,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yippeekayay View Post
It's not good to have one person sit at home in 2018.

It creates a built in in-equity.

Unless the sole breadwinner either really, really loves their job (like point guard in the NBA) or has that "I'm a male alpha dog and I have to provide."

Old 05-25-2018, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yippeekayay View Post
I believe that everyone should contribute to society whether that be working in the home caring for children, or working outside the home, contributing to society in ways that better that society. The gender of the people doing either is irrelevant. It is questions like this that perpetuate the societal norm that men should work and women should stay home. It is a false equivalency.

Men should be expected to contribute to society in a way that best utilizes their skills. If they are skilled at nurturing, organizing, teaching, perhaps they would be best served by contributing to home needs.

Women should be expected to contribute to society in a way that best utilizes their skills. If their skills are visual-spatial relationships, and calculating scientific information, perhaps they should work as an engineer.

So, it doesn't matter WHO should prefer what, and the question alone is demonstrative of deeply sexist and outmoded, and, frankly, dangerous thinking. You should consider joining the current century.

Old 05-25-2018, 10:55 AM

669 posts, read 583,125 times
It would be better if the married couple were on the same page in their family goals.....the women stay home to raise and nurture children ( not day care) and the man provides for the family. Raise decent and moral children and perhaps there would not be such damaged kids later in their life. I believe school shooters are screwed up from a messed up upbringing.

Women...you cannot “have it all”. Pick one. Career( work) or raise good people. And I have felt this way for over 40 years even during the feminist rants in the 70’s.

There should not be a scorecard (equality?) Get the job done.

Go ahead and rip me now. ...I can take it.

Old 05-25-2018, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLgaltoo View Post
I
Women...you cannot “have it all”. Pick one. Career( work) or raise good people. .
So fathers have no responsibility for raising their children? And, if they do, why can they "have it all" and women cannot? If your believe that a father's involvement is critical in raising a good person, then they have equal responsibilities as the mother of the child to that child, and would be asking to "have it all" as well. So, which is it? Should there be an involved father or not?

If a woman as a degree in chemical engineering, making $185,000/yr, falls in love with and marries an auto mechanic making $52,000/year, you think she should quit her job and care for any subsequent children and the husband should provide on his salary alone? That is, without question, patently ridiculous, and you know it.

And, if your argument is then that women either do not, or should not marry someone who has such a differing career, that is social engineering at its worst. One cannot dictate whom another chooses to partner with. Unless you are creating a society where all people are assigned jobs and partners, women and men from differing economic backgrounds will continue coupling and creating families.

Last edited by ALStafford; 05-25-2018 at 11:11 AM.. Reason: spelling/grammar

Old 05-25-2018, 11:13 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,547,409 times
It's not a one size fits all thing. It varies on the individual woman just as it would on an individual man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment