Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2018, 03:03 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,504,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
It doesn't matter what the minimum wage is, employers are forced to pay more to get people to apply for jobs whether you like it or not. I was in SF today, here's a photo I took of a help wanted sign on an In-n-Out on Fisherman's wharf offering a starting wage of $16 an hour

[IMG][/IMG]
They pay $16 because they want the best workers and expect more and have the business to support it .

I’m fine with businesses paying above min wage , not fine with politicians with no business experience or sense forcing businesses to pay $15 or some arbitrary number.

In n out is unique in the restaurant world , not everyone can be in n out .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2018, 04:54 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,591,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
I am not sure where to start on this one.

What is the correct number of degree holders? Is there a benefit to society as a whole, or to individuals, in having uneducated people? At what point is education a bad thing?

Well, not saying being uneducated is a good thing (it's not,especially when voting!) , but let's paraphrase Syndrome from The Incredibles "If everyone has a Bachelors, then it means no more than a high school diploma used to." (He actually said "Everybody will be super. And when everyone is super, no one will be.")

I am alarmed about the need to get degrees that never used to be needed and are now only required to weed people out (even though they have little to nothing to do with the job itself as they were NOT needed in the past) to the point where now you have to spend thousands and thousands more to get an even fancier degree just to stand out because the previous "good" level is so saturated that now it's EXPECTED as a MINIMUM.

It might benefit the colleges and the employers, but certainly not the workers/students.

Old 06-03-2018, 05:14 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,239,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
I am alarmed about the need to get degrees that never used to be needed and are now only required to weed people out (even though they have little to nothing to do with the job itself as they were NOT needed in the past) to the point where now you have to spend thousands and thousands more to get an even fancier degree just to stand out because the previous "good" level is so saturated that now it's EXPECTED as a MINIMUM.
I totally agree.

We see employers telling the colleges and universities to teach the students [INSERT SKILL] - OK, they do so. Then when people graduate, then the employers are saying [INSERT OTHER SKILL] is now needed.

When I went to grad school, employers were pumping the "ability to work on a team" concept, so did my grad school for assignments. Now the employers are pumping the "learning to code" aspect. Now we see job ads for people who normally don't code asking for coding skills. Project managers with coding skills in a role that doesn't require coding. Business Analysts with coding skills in a role that doesn't require coding. QA Analysts with coding skills but the role is a manual role.

When everyone's a coder, nobody's a coder.

Old 06-03-2018, 07:40 PM

2,562 posts, read 2,226,062 times
If you have the desire to be a truck driver, the nation seems to be perpetually short of that particular skill. Most young folks today seem to steer clear of that particular field.

Old 06-03-2018, 08:25 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,406,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
If you have the desire to be a truck driver, the nation seems to be perpetually short of that particular skill. Most young folks today seem to steer clear of that particular field.
What about these self-driving trucks that will be coming out soon? Or is that still 10-15 years away?

Old 06-04-2018, 01:15 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,504,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
What about these self-driving trucks that will be coming out soon? Or is that still 10-15 years away?

Uber is testing them now

Uber self-driving trucks are now hauling freight

Old 06-04-2018, 09:03 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,405,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
In 2009, I paid almost $1500 for just one quarter at Olympic Community College (I took 17 units that year). Since then, Olympic has changed their classes from 3 unit classes to 5 unit classes. And the price per unit has gone up since 2009.

I'm just a couple classes short of my first 2 years of a 4 year university degree. At least that's what I've been told. Some of the classes I took as requirements, though, are almost 30 years old. I have no idea if they'd even be allowed to count towards any degree today. I can test out of math and English, but who knows if I'd have to retake history classes, science classes, or language classes again. If I did have to take them all over again, it would be like starting all over. And to what end?

The reason why I personally can't attend college is because I'm currently living in subsidized housing and no one living here can attend college full time - I'm not even sure we could attend part time. It has something to do with the funding this place receives. However stupid that may be, if I am found to be attending full time classes, I'll be given a 10 day vacate notice.

Now I'm planning on moving out at the end of July. I'd love to take one or two classes just for myself. But I'm 61 years old and on disability. I'm not sure I can even sit for a whole hour without being in pain. Even if I were in the best of health, getting hired at my age would be difficult, not to mention starting a career would be unrealistic.

Because in 2008, I lost my job. In 2011 I lost my car and my housing. The local banks wanted $10+ per month to have a checking account and I sure couldn't afford that. So for the past ten years, I've been on a cash only basis. I went to check my credit this spring and it's not that I don't have bad credit - I literally have no credit at all. Zip. Zero. Zilch.

I'll be working with my bank to get a card that basically lets me put an amount of money on it, use that money, and then pay it back over a period of a couple years. The paying back part is what will build my credit again, but it's going to take a while. Right now I'm buying land and until I find out exactly how much everything will cost - the purchase price, title transfer fees, pro-rated HOA fees and pro-rated taxes - I'm reluctant to tie any money up in case I need it.

I'm buying the land with the back pay from my disability. If I were younger, I'd definitely put that back pay into schooling. But with as old as I am and with my disability, it makes more sense now to put the money into getting a permanent place to live instead. C'est la vie!
How do you buy things like plane tickets without having a debit or credit card?

Old 06-04-2018, 09:06 AM

32,968 posts, read 36,464,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Driving won't be phased out for quite a few years. The trucks are expensive.

Old 06-04-2018, 09:36 AM

3,285 posts, read 2,670,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
What is the correct number of degree holders?
Only the free market knows.

Quote:
Is there a benefit to society as a whole, or to individuals, in having uneducated people?
"Uneducated"? Now you're making not having a degree sound like some terrible failing. Why does everyone need a degree? What's wrong with the trades? I have no degree and am doing far better than most college grads. My wife has four degrees, and not only are they not doing much for her career-wise, she still has around $40K in student loans worth of drag. My non-degreed salary is paying down her degree loans!

Quote:
At what point is education a bad thing?
At the point where people are crying, "This job is below me, I deserve so much more, why should I lift a finger until I'm given the job I know I deserve!" There can only be so many doctors, lawyers, engineers, etc. Having more than that number clamoring for those spots just drags us all down. Telling everyone they're unique and special and should be at the top is not a recipe for success.

Quote:
I really don’t see why, in an increasingly complex, technological world, anybody would want to ration or minimize education.
Not the concept. But every time something like cost of living comes up, and someone suggests letting the free market work things out, we always hear the moans of, "But who will do your gardening and flip your burgers?" If everyone has an advanced education, who would want to do those things? Society needs a number of people to accept mopping toilets or moving boxes around.

Quote:
That isn’t to say we should not have an evenue for people in the trades. They are valuable and worthwhile, but trades are more complex than ever before as well.
What's wrong with simply knowing how to do your job, doing it well, and living well and happily from that? Why does someone also have to have a sheepskin hanging on the wall and spend years or decades paying that sheepskin off? Especially if the work that went into that sheepskin simply does not apply to the job, or how that person lives?

Individually, I always recommend education... having it is better than not. But on a macro scale, it's literally insane to suggest that everyone should have a degree.

Old 06-04-2018, 10:27 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,405,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
Too many people are getting college degrees. Often times, these degrees are in worthless liberal arts topics. It's better to go to trade school than get a Bachelor's in certain areas.
Liberal arts degrees are better than no degree at all. In the long run, the person with the degree will have more jobs available to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment