Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2018, 01:19 PM

12,847 posts, read 9,060,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
You're probably right. I definitely expect my job prospects to dry up by 40. But at this point I can sustain myself without a job. My goal is to be able to sustain myself for the next 15-20 years without a job.
Spouse? Kids? I've known a couple who where you are. They were also single. Responsibility for someone other than yourself is the biggest thing preventing most people from doing what you suggest.

Old 06-06-2018, 01:26 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,590,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Spouse? Kids? I've known a couple who where you are. They were also single. Responsibility for someone other than yourself is the biggest thing preventing most people from doing what you suggest.

I won't get married or have kids unless I have several millions in the bank. Marriage is a huge cost. And I prefer to raise kids after I'm fiscally independent. Spouse and kids aren't necessities. We think of them as such in our society. But they aren't. They're more luxuries that you should be able to afford. I'm holding off on all of that until my fiscal situation is completely ironed out. Divorces are expensive. And if I had kids I want to be able to put them in private school without worrying about rubbing 2 pennies together. I understand many people are in the grind of families and spouses, and will have a much harder time pivoting. But at some point in everyone's life, you have to learn to scale back. When I decided to commit myself to scaling back my lifestyle about 8 years ago, I've found myself never hurting for anything. Now I'm 38, great job, and 100% debt free.

Old 06-06-2018, 01:28 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,097,759 times
What would you do with your time if you were retired by 50?

Old 06-06-2018, 01:34 PM

1,104 posts, read 919,788 times
Quote:
I've seen 30 year olds happily retired, and I've seen 50 year olds who can't even see the promised land of retirement. And the differences between them is minimalism. The reality is, the winning strategy in the market is minimalism, and heavy investment.
What the hell is your problem? You are in your late thirties and you're not a millionaire yet. Well newflash, most people aren't. You're in a solid profession and have 25 years to build a pension which you can then spend the next 25 years spending. You'll be able to retire earlier than most as well. What a whiner. Grow up!

Old 06-06-2018, 01:35 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,626,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
What would you do with your time if you were retired by 50?
watch TV all day like I do now !

Old 06-06-2018, 01:40 PM

24,636 posts, read 9,464,279 times
Quote:
I won't get married or have kids unless I have several millions in the bank. Marriage is a huge cost. And I prefer to raise kids after I'm fiscally independent. Spouse and kids aren't necessities. We think of them as such in our society. But they aren't. They're more luxuries that you should be able to afford.
Spouses and kids are neither necessities nor luxuries, they’re privileges. Whether you can afford the privilege is subjective to each person.

Old 06-06-2018, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
watch TV all day like I do now !
If people want to sit on their azz for more time of the day, then the solution is to get an easier, part time job.

Old 06-06-2018, 01:47 PM

Quote:
I won't get married or have kids unless I have several millions in the bank. Marriage is a huge cost. And I prefer to raise kids after I'm fiscally independent. Spouse and kids aren't necessities. We think of them as such in our society. But they aren't. They're more luxuries that you should be able to afford. I'm holding off on all of that until my fiscal situation is completely ironed out. Divorces are expensive. And if I had kids I want to be able to put them in private school without worrying about rubbing 2 pennies together. I understand many people are in the grind of families and spouses, and will have a much harder time pivoting. But at some point in everyone's life, you have to learn to scale back. When I decided to commit myself to scaling back my lifestyle about 8 years ago, I've found myself never hurting for anything. Now I'm 38, great job, and 100% debt free.
Assuming you marry somebody who makes a similar amount to you and will not be sucking you for alimony, then marriage will speed your retirement.

Double income towards a mortgage that you would otherwise have to pay off alone. Reduced costs in terms of food, vacation hotel rooms, gas for trips, utilities, etc.

Old 06-06-2018, 02:06 PM

3,515 posts, read 7,784,031 times
Quote:
I find it kind of sad that there are so many people who are now 50+, still deep in the trenches of corporate America and high stress work life.
I just turned 50 and I'm earning the more $ than I ever earned earlier in life. I've pushed my 401k saving to $1,400 a month, I should come close to hitting the cap this year. I do not feel threatened by competition from younger, less experienced workers yet. Maybe that's something I'll worry about when I hit 60, but I'm confident I can get another job tomorrow if I were to get laid off or left my company. Being deep in the trenches at 50 is fine, but one thing your right about, your saving / retirement accounts. In theory, you should have 4 times you yearly salary saved by age 50, few of us can claim to be on target. personally I'm off by about half that amount.

Old 06-06-2018, 02:08 PM

4,972 posts, read 2,714,147 times
You are doing what you can. Unfortunately, as you say, at 38 you are getting too old to be a software engineer. Too expensive, that is. You should be prepared to transition into a less youth oriented career.

At least you are concerned for your future. Others just keep mindlessly working and when the bottom falls out for them, don't know what to do and are caught like a deer in the headlights of a car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment