Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2018, 02:10 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,954,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
Its preaching from the purport
Preaching from the purport?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2018, 02:32 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,044,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Actually, I think there may be a valid point about him doing this on company property. Company property should be for work only, not other activities. Of course, if they allow company property to be used for non work activities, then it is what it is. If he's distracting people from doing their jobs, then maybe it needs to go somewhere else on the job site where it's not going to disturb people.

And the employer better inform their insurance company because of the increased liability of allowing non work activities on the property.

For instance, if one of those non work employees suffered some sort of injury while on the premises, would they qualify for workman's comp?

Let's say one of them trips on the stairs on the way to the restroom and breaks their back......all while participating in a non work but employer sanctioned activity.

Seems to me the employer's insurance liability premium would have to go up to cover the extra risk exposure.

Old 06-10-2018, 02:40 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,452,873 times
If the gathering is on company property . The establishment decides.
Ours didn't allow informal gatherings since they could be liable if anything happened while inside the building while not on the clock.

Slip and fall getting your ice water from the cooler.

Keep in mind anytime two or more gather it's a meeting...either sanctioned by the company or scheduled by owners.

Practice your music,religion , crafts elsewhere. Your religion can be conducted by being respectful of the policy.

Old 06-10-2018, 02:54 PM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
I don't like it. I work in a very conservative area with a lot of conservative Baptists and Pentecostals. I work for a large, nonreligious employer, and the CEO will frequently reference God in emails to the entire enterprise. I think it's tacky.

Old 06-10-2018, 04:11 PM

7,777 posts, read 6,385,415 times
An old friends golden rule: "I don't preach to you, you don't preach to me".

Old 06-10-2018, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
And the employer better inform their insurance company because of the increased liability of allowing non work activities on the property.

For instance, if one of those non work employees suffered some sort of injury while on the premises, would they qualify for workman's comp?

Let's say one of them trips on the stairs on the way to the restroom and breaks their back......all while participating in a non work but employer sanctioned activity.

Seems to me the employer's insurance liability premium would have to go up to cover the extra risk exposure.
Yeah, I tend to think it's not a good idea to allow this stuff on the premises, not because it's religion, but because of liability and other issues, as you point out.

Old 06-10-2018, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I don't like it. I work in a very conservative area with a lot of conservative Baptists and Pentecostals. I work for a large, nonreligious employer, and the CEO will frequently reference God in emails to the entire enterprise. I think it's tacky.
I'm religious/spiritual and I agree it's tacky.

Old 06-10-2018, 05:29 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,226,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Actually, I think there may be a valid point about him doing this on company property. Company property should be for work only, not other activities.
The company allows this to occur as long as it is not on company time. They provided a location, a gathering place and the only person complaining is the OP.

Quote:
Of course, if they allow company property to be used for non work activities, then it is what it is. If he's distracting people from doing their jobs, then maybe it needs to go somewhere else on the job site where it's not going to disturb people.
If that person is disturbing others, those affected have a right to complain to HR/management and deal with it. But it seems that the only person complaining is the OP and not because it disturbs his work, but because of the content.

Old 06-10-2018, 05:35 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,226,802 times
Quote:
no its not opinion its fire and brimstone. its not discussion, Its preaching from the purport
The issue you're having is that this is his religion - i.e. his opinion. It is the content of what he's talking about. If it wasn't fire and brimstone, but an atheist's meeting (content you approve of), this thread would never have been posted.

Quote:
im sorry, Im too stupid to know what the question is
http://www.city-data.com/forum/52151581-post4.html

This is not about religion at all. I saw two different issues: 1) workaholism and 2) he's counting lunch as work time

Quote:
he has gotten where he wont work sunday, he wont work nights, my company is 24/7.
Hold on. Are you saying that your company requires everyone to work 24 hours 7 days a week without any rest, breaks, or anything?

Sounds like a workaholic company.

Not working Sunday is a legitimate thing, so I don't see a problem with it. In fact, many states have one day rest in seven laws on the books.

Quote:
he bellieve that since he back from lunch and working at noon, he should get paid for lunch everyday, an extra 2 1/2 hours overtime.
I'm doubting this is legitimate, so what does the boss say about this? is this the only "time" he "screws out of the company"?

Old 06-10-2018, 07:23 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,681,555 times
Quote:
he has them before he clocks in, but

its on company property and there are other people working at those times, so ten feet away, somebody on the clock doing a report or paperwork has to listen to fire and brimstone.

I just feel religion and work should be separated, we do have some Muslim in the bldg. why should they have to listen to that. I feel once you enter the work property, its work time

i know there are some companies that are religion based, and that fine. Mine is not and it not a company sponsored event, but to be political correct and not offend his religion beliefs, well they do offend me, my beliefs, and since we cant offend blacks, or the gay trans group, cant offend women, cant offend fat people, cant offend ugly people, I want one that you cant offend the non-religions group. I want to have my coffee and cookie without being told Im going to hell.

I feel religion should be a personal, private matter at your home or place of worship being a church and not my computer space desk.

so everybody claims, let him preach, he has the right to religion. well using that argument, I have the right of non religion, it wasnt a agreement on my employment.

it something he started two weeks ago
You have the right to your opinion. If someone brings up religion, point out that it is superstitious nonsense. There is no invisible sky guy who is going to solve their problems. If anyone objects, you are not the one who brought the subject up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment