Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 06:43 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,740,574 times

Advertisements

Word through the grape vine is that those who are good at sales can make at or near 100,000 in their first year alone. Yet, if that's the case why aren't more people lining up to take these positions. Is medical equipment sales really all it's cracked up to be as a long-term career?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2018, 09:29 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,228,935 times
Who told you that medical equipment sales is lucrative?

After the ACA's medical device tax, sales went into the tank. You can imagine the effect on salespeoples' commission checks.

Old 06-13-2018, 05:32 AM

1,073 posts, read 622,852 times
The sales sub on reddit is all about how good technical sales is—- whether it’s medical equipment or software. It’s hard to know what’s true and what is BS though. I will say they make plenty of mention of how stressful the career is though.

On a similar note I’ve been intrigued by sales for years now but have never made the jump. I work in software engineering and do well, but it is interesting to see how other professions are doing. I know there are a lot of people who do sales as a profession— frankly I was never aware of this until 10 years ago or so. My dad was a math teacher and math was installed in me at a young age. He would always look at sales people like the used car salesmen stereotype.

Old 06-14-2018, 04:20 PM

3,285 posts, read 2,663,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeminoleTom View Post
On a similar note I’ve been intrigued by sales for years now but have never made the jump. I work in software engineering and do well, but it is interesting to see how other professions are doing. I know there are a lot of people who do sales as a profession— frankly I was never aware of this until 10 years ago or so. My dad was a math teacher and math was installed in me at a young age. He would always look at sales people like the used car salesmen stereotype.
Look at spots as a solutions architect... it's "salesy" in that you carry a number and have to do things like entertain customers, present, etc. But it's still a technical role, and you can easily position yourself as a trusted advisor instead of a used-car salesman.

Old 06-18-2018, 09:56 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,640,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by santafe400 View Post
Word through the grape vine is that those who are good at sales can make at or near 100,000 in their first year alone. Yet, if that's the case why aren't more people lining up to take these positions. Is medical equipment sales really all it's cracked up to be as a long-term career?
I worked in that field for about 20 years, or close to it. I was more on the research lab side but sometimes would sell into clinics, hospitals, etc. Depending on the type of product, your territory potential and how you work it, six figures is not a problem at all. It was rather typical in fact. Getting into mid six figures was rare, usually because of large, once-in-a-lifetime orders; anything above that was exceedingly rare and more of a fluke.

Leverage what you know. If you worked in molecular biology labs, look for companies selling sequencers, etc. My work in the lab was in light and electron microscopy and some immunocytochemistry. At various times I sold products related to all of those fields.

Old 02-22-2019, 04:23 PM

607 posts, read 978,713 times
Quote:
If you are good you can earn that type of income, but it isn't likely going to be sustained year after year. A lot has to do with what is in your territory. Rural areas will make it nearly impossible to earn that level of income.

Even though $100k sounds like a lot of money, it isn't.

Old 02-22-2019, 07:54 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,911,642 times
If you're good at sales, might as well go into something with good commissions. Beats the hell out of Multi Level Marketing, anyway!

Old 02-24-2019, 04:38 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,887,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
Who told you that medical equipment sales is lucrative?

After the ACA's medical device tax, sales went into the tank. You can imagine the effect on salespeoples' commission checks.
Guess that's why I'm getting all these medical device spam calls now.

Old 02-24-2019, 08:39 PM

17,581 posts, read 13,362,412 times
It was great for me in the 80s and 90s then the business tanked because all of the profitable dealers were being bought up by the mega million dollar companies and wholesalers who wont give salesmen the time a of day

Old 03-03-2019, 08:11 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
Quote:
Someone who went to school with our daughter she keeps in touch with
He is in early 40s—has science degree from TX A&M College Station—more prestigious than a satellite—
Out of college he got job with company doing remediation for gas/chemical spills at DFW airport—where we live
That was not great—he had friend working in medical sales in-house who got him job in that company—
Has been in medical equipment sales for past 14 yrs or so—changed companies at least once—
now working for Stryker I think
He can work from home when he is not traveling—but he travels a good bit
There is lot of stress to make quota and raise it
Lot of stress but yes I do think he makes good money—
He is good at his job—personable/charismatic type of personality so he has that bent naturally—
but still demanding

And from post that I read somewhere—there is certain degree of market saturation in some of these jobs because if you are good and have filled orders with so many of the possible targets in your area you have to move to new ground—so you have to transfer periodically whether you want to or not

I don’t know about that aspect except this guy did go to FL to take a promotion and then went back to DFW area because his wife wanted to be closer to family
When he was in FL his company decided he was living in area that was outside his service zone—meaning he had to use an airport that wasn’t the best for his travel—more travel costs to the company
They didn’t want to relocate in FL so either took job with new company in DFW or internal transfer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment