Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2018, 10:29 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,736,853 times

Advertisements

I live in NW Indiana and had an interview this week for a Marketing Rep position for a very large medical lab facility in Illinois. I met with the owner of the facility (some are franchised owned and some are corporate owned) and the Office Manager. During the interview, out of no where the owner asks me if I'm religious? I was taken back by the question as I know you're not supposed to ask that. I look over at the Office Manager and you can tell she was shocked too. I said, "Well aren't most people to some degree"? And he said "No" and then proceeded to ask about my skills, etc. About 10 minutes later he asks "Did you go to church this past Sunday?" And I said "No", because I actually did not. It's then that I notice he had a cross on the wall in his office as well. Soon after he says I should ask my husband how he feels about me working there. I asked "Why"? and he said "Well you're married right? Do you also have kids? Your husband might need to approve you working". I'm sure after that I had a shocked looked on my face! He then says they'll call me when they are done with interviews if I qualify for a second interview.

Again, I'm more than qualified for this position. I found it strange how it all happened and I'm sure my interview was cut short due to my answers from his religious type questions. I feel if I don't get this position that I was discriminated some how. I am in my mid 40's, but don't look like it, more like mid 30's and Caucasian, blond and fair skinned.

What do you think and how would you proceed? I'm not one of those people who talks about suing and getting lawyers, etc., but this behavior was really beyond anything I've ever experienced before in an interview! I'm really bummed about it too because it paid extremely well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2018, 11:07 PM

5,713 posts, read 4,289,046 times
Well you cant do anything until they don't hire you, and since they arent going to hire you it will be pretty hard to prove damages and pretty hard to prove discrimination. I'm not terribly knowledgeable on the elements of claim for religious discrimination, but I suspect that not hiring you because you aren't religious enough is not grounds for a claim. I think probably not. Generally, I believe, you must be discriminated against for your actual religion. You apparently didn't even tell him your religion.

But it sounds like you dodged a bullet. Would you really want to work there? I'd report them to EEOC and keep looking

Old 08-04-2018, 12:01 AM

3,657 posts, read 3,288,516 times
This sounds bad, very bad. I wouldn't pursue a job with this company and you can update their entry on Glassdoor and warn others. You might consider contacting the Dept of Labor and see if they can advise you.

How to handle it? Well, you could have handled it a number of ways, but the real problem is them asking you those questions to begin with. So your answers don't matter. I think if someone asked me those questions during an interview, I would end the interview by saying I don't think I'm a match for this company and leave. But considering they were upfront about their disturbing environment to begin with, it saved you the trouble of accepting a job there and then being given the cold-shoulder because you don't do and believe as they do. But at least if you put this in Glassdoor, you will warn others.

Old 08-04-2018, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
Well you cant do anything until they don't hire you, and since they arent going to hire you it will be pretty hard to prove damages and pretty hard to prove discrimination. I'm not terribly knowledgeable on the elements of claim for religious discrimination, but I suspect that not hiring you because you aren't religious enough is not grounds for a claim. I think probably not. Generally, I believe, you must be discriminated against for your actual religion. You apparently didn't even tell him your religion.

But it sounds like you dodged a bullet. Would you really want to work there? I'd report them to EEOC and keep looking
Quote:
Religious Discrimination And Employment Policies/Practices
An employee cannot be forced to participate (or not participate) in a religious activity as a condition of employment
Discrimination for your religion or your choice of no religion is still discrimination.

I suggested the Dept of Labor, but you might right, the EEOC might be better. Or try both.

Old 08-04-2018, 12:17 AM

5,985 posts, read 2,917,886 times
That is illegal, so you could try and do something. I would have told him to his face that that isn't a question he can ask, and ended the interview there.

I'd probably post reviews of the company online, but IMO it's not worth the effort to formally report or bring legal action against them.

Old 08-04-2018, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
Discrimination for your religion or your choice of no religion is still discrimination.

Its not that simple. There are certain criteria that have to be met in order to have a claim.

Quote:

I suggested the Dept of Labor, but you might right, the EEOC might be better. Or try both.

They were not forcing or trying to force anyone to do anything. They asked what most of us would consider wildly innappropriate questions, but I don't think that in itself is illegal. Its a red flag though.

Old 08-04-2018, 12:28 AM

5,985 posts, read 2,917,886 times
Quote:
They were not forcing or trying to force anyone to do anything. They asked what most of us would consider wildly innappropriate questions, but I don't think that in itself is illegal. Its a red flag though.
Technically, it's not illegal to ask if someone goes to church in a job interview. It is illegal to hire or not hire them based on the answer to that question.

Old 08-04-2018, 12:41 AM

Quote:

We aren't experts. It's best for the OP to contact Dept of Labor and EEOC and see what they have to say, and warn people on Glassdoor about the place.

Old 08-04-2018, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
Technically, it's not illegal to ask if someone goes to church in a job interview. It is illegal to hire or not hire them based on the answer to that question.

Maybe.

Old 08-04-2018, 04:02 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
I honestly think you should be happy you learned all of this weird stuff.....so you can decline the job and find a better fit elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment