Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2018, 11:12 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,883,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechaMan View Post
As Bobsell said. In a truly good labor market almost everyone qualified that wants to be employed should be employed.
Bobsell has no qualifications to speak as an expert on current our current job market or US employment statistics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2018, 01:37 AM

1,063 posts, read 697,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
"Should" speaks to entitlement. Also, qualified by whose standards?

As I said before, full employment doesn't mean that everyone has a job. The system is built around a certain amount of unemployment.
This doesn't make sense.

Why would someone or a state entity make a system around ANY unemployment? There is no practical reason to leave jobs unfilled. If there is unemployment and a high ratio of open roles to available people (the status right now), either the employer the local government or both should be committed to bridging that gap.

Right now all the weight of that is thrust upon the candidate to bridge that gap which is why productivity has stalled in the USA because of these nonsensical notions.

Old 07-07-2018, 07:17 AM

3,657 posts, read 3,289,214 times
The source of this is Fox, as in Fox News. Ah, no reason to read any further.

Old 07-07-2018, 11:34 AM

127 posts, read 109,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liar_Liar View Post
This week, something truly remarkable (in my world) happened.

I am definitely going to try to get a job that pay 15 - 20% higher next year and ask my employer to match their offer!
20% is nothing in NYC even if you make $100,000 a year. If you have couple years of Big Four accounting firm experience and a CPA license, you can easily make $250,000 in NYC by working in a big corporation. Very few people have this kind of experience with license. You virtually have very few competitors vs low skill wage jobs.

My friend makes over $300,000 now working for a big corporation. He worked for a BIG Four and have a CPA. He started seven years ago.

Old 07-07-2018, 11:47 AM

801 posts, read 547,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmun View Post
20% is nothing in NYC even if you make $100,000 a year. If you have couple years of Big Four accounting firm experience and a CPA license, you can easily make $250,000 in NYC by working in a big corporation. Very few people have this kind of experience with license. You virtually have very few competitors vs low skill wage jobs.

My friend makes over $300,000 now working for a big corporation. He worked for a BIG Four and have a CPA. He started seven years ago.
I live and work in NJ. I would HATE to live NYC. It's over crowded, driving & parking is hell, rent and EVERYTHING else is over priced.

If you're single with no kids and make $100K, you can live like a king in NJ.

How many hours per week you friend work, I wonder.......

Last edited by Liar_Liar; 07-07-2018 at 12:24 PM..

Old 07-07-2018, 12:05 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times
It's not about how much you make. It's how much you get to keep and what values that matters to you.

You can make $200k+ in NYC but you maybe forced to live in expensive areas. I don't know anyone that makes over $200k and lives in cheap areas of NYC. Those expensive areas basically are high tax and high cost areas. Daycare costs over $1500/month per kid.

You can make $100k in certain states and have minimal low stress commute and still have high quality neighborhoods and a house that only costs $300k which in NYC areas you need $750k for an equivalent quality home.

Someone making $200k in NYC has to pay $5000/month in mortgage while someone in another state in a well to do area only has to pay $1500/month for a large home.

Basically your pay scales with your location.

Old 07-07-2018, 05:58 PM

850 posts, read 902,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
Exactly. That's why you should question these lists. I'm sure the statistic is correct, but what metric are they using?

Also, Minneapols is a good city for jobs if you're a member of a certain demographic or if you want a low wage job. Note to any black professionals considering relocating to the Twin Cities for a job: don't, unless you want your career to suffer or are content being viewed as a diversity hire (as opposed to the skills you bring). Minneapolis ranks poorly in almost all metrics for African-Americans. The high quality of life that's advertised is NOT for you. Check out the statistics yourself if you think I'm being negative. If yo decide to make the move, do so with your eyes wide open. Don't make the mistake I made. I only wish someone would have given me a dose of reality before I made the move. Don't say you weren't warned.
I thought the states up north and the Midwest were suppose to be progressive places and that’s where all the African American profressionals were moving to. When I accepted my position back in West Virginia for a 500 fortune pharmaceuticals company I felt like I was just a diversity hire the whole time I was there. I was the only black R&D employee in the whole facility. The only other black employee worked in manufacturing. I was never invited out to lunch with coworkers and was never given additional responsibilities once I proven I mastered my current responsibilities. I kept getting reminded how lucky I was to have the job and like I was privileged to make a whopping $50k a year with bonus.

When the company started downsizing I left and now work for a small pharmaceuticals company in TN and got a 20% raise. There are 6 other black employees in the department and we all get treated fairly compared to our other non-black coworkers. I thought the south would have the same kind of behavior as the other company but it seems midwestern and northern states have the most resentment of black professionals.

Hope you find a company that appreciates you treemoni.

Old 07-07-2018, 06:03 PM

850 posts, read 902,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
And most of those are very expensive areas to live. The quality of the job has to be considered as well
Agreed. My salary would have to jump 30-40% to have the same quality of life that I do in Northeast TN in those listed cities.

Old 07-07-2018, 06:42 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,467,226 times
Thanks for the well wishes. It really means a lot.

There is a saying that's something to the effect of: In the South, you (as a black person) can get close, but not too high. In the North, you can go high, but don't get too close. I've never lived in the South so I can't speak to that experience. I didn't experience the kind of racism in my home state of Illinois. To me, the Twin Cities is where Chicago and other places were in the 50s and 60s with two major differences: the percentage of blacks is much lower, and the whites are more cowardly. It's hidden aggression, which is the most dangerous kind because if you aren't perceptive, you don't see it coming. There is not a critical mass of black people in Minneapolis, so the natives can still live a comfortable life without feeling threatened. I've never felt so much racism in my life. Illinois, as far as race relations go, is closer to the South. It was basically a slave state...just not in name. I'd much rather deal with bigoted Southerners. They stand in who they are, and I can respect that. Nothing worse than a racist who has all the traits but intellectualizes their behavior and basically lives in denial. The only thing progressive about MN is its economics. They think they're liberal because they vote for social programs. It's just another way for them to pretend they're something they're not. But I don't want to derail the thread.

Southerners are used to coexisting with blacks. It's embedded in the culture. In certain northern places...you're just a guest, and that's what you'll always be. I don't wish ruin on anyone, but the mask of MN civility will fall off as soon as things get bad and its people are forced to go into survival mode. That's when you REALLY see people's true colors. It's easy to be "tolerant" when you are in a superior position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poor Chemist View Post
I thought the states up north and the Midwest were suppose to be progressive places and that’s where all the African American profressionals were moving to. When I accepted my position back in West Virginia for a 500 fortune pharmaceuticals company I felt like I was just a diversity hire the whole time I was there. I was the only black R&D employee in the whole facility. The only other black employee worked in manufacturing. I was never invited out to lunch with coworkers and was never given additional responsibilities once I proven I mastered my current responsibilities. I kept getting reminded how lucky I was to have the job and like I was privileged to make a whopping $50k a year with bonus.

When the company started downsizing I left and now work for a small pharmaceuticals company in TN and got a 20% raise. There are 6 other black employees in the department and we all get treated fairly compared to our other non-black coworkers. I thought the south would have the same kind of behavior as the other company but it seems midwestern and northern states have the most resentment of black professionals.

Hope you find a company that appreciates you treemoni.

Old 07-07-2018, 07:38 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,477,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
It's not about how much you make. It's how much you get to keep and what values that matters to you.

You can make $200k+ in NYC but you maybe forced to live in expensive areas. I don't know anyone that makes over $200k and lives in cheap areas of NYC. Those expensive areas basically are high tax and high cost areas. Daycare costs over $1500/month per kid.

You can make $100k in certain states and have minimal low stress commute and still have high quality neighborhoods and a house that only costs $300k which in NYC areas you need $750k for an equivalent quality home.

Someone making $200k in NYC has to pay $5000/month in mortgage while someone in another state in a well to do area only has to pay $1500/month for a large home.

Basically your pay scales with your location.
Someone I used to work with has friends in Mountain View, CA who work for Google. They have 2 kids, and pay that much as well per kid. If they have a 3rd child, it just makes more sense for one of them to quit their jobs to look after the kids themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment