Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2018, 12:10 PM

3,975 posts, read 4,269,733 times

Advertisements

I still send cards, but buy them at Dollar Tree or Family Dollar. Whenever I go into a chain drugstore and see how much the Hallmark or American Greetings cards, cost, I can't believe they have the nerve to charge that much for a piece of paper with some glitter on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2018, 12:45 PM

34,080 posts, read 17,134,198 times
Cards are mostly obsolete. A small % send them and that is fine, but reduced sales make manufacturing plants used to producing 20x as many cards cost prohibitive to maintain.

Old 07-14-2018, 01:03 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,798,324 times
I once got a "Whimsical" birthday card from my sister year ago. I found out it was $8 and I was stunned at the price, but so loved it I still have it in my briefcase.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMFaFxL6bzw

But lately I have found a wider selection at dollar tree stores and understand that some industries just cannot stand the increase of costs when demand is small.

Just like it is with gas jockeys, Oregon is now the only state that still has them.....

Old 07-14-2018, 01:03 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,129,369 times
I went to a wedding about 2 years ago. There was a stack of greeting cards. Each time somebody entered the door, they had a card or gift with a card attached.

Whenever a co-worker had a baby, we would buy a Congratulations card. It didn't matter if it was a guy or a girl. We would all sign the card and give money to the boss to keep for safety. We had 3 babies born in a year. This is not a girly group. It's mostly men in finance.

I wonder if that's a regional thing. This was in Texas.

Old 07-14-2018, 01:51 PM

10,614 posts, read 12,149,758 times
Quote:
Just like it is with gas jockeys, Oregon is now the only state that still has them.....
You mean gas station attendant, right?

Actually, New Jersey has them also....the state banned self-serve stations decades and decades ago. (1949)

Oregon DOES allow self-serve gas stations where customers can pump their own gas. Last year Oregon state lawmakers passed a law allowing counties with 40-thousand residents or less to allow people to pump their own gas from 6pm to 6am.The law was effective this past January.

Old 07-15-2018, 09:34 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,798,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
You mean gas station attendant, right?

Actually, New Jersey has them also....the state banned self-serve stations decades and decades ago. (1949)

Oregon DOES allow self-serve gas stations where customers can pump their own gas. Last year Oregon state lawmakers passed a law allowing counties with 40-thousand residents or less to allow people to pump their own gas from 6pm to 6am.The law was effective this past January.
Same thing, different terms. Yes you are right about that, could have sworn NJ repealed that. Oregon has had "Self serve" but that was at the "Contract" gas station (Corp fill ups only) I debate if they'll ever change...

Old 07-15-2018, 10:27 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,129,369 times
What is the purpose from banning people from pumping their own gas? Is there a gas attendant union pressuring politicians to save their job, or they won't get their votes and political donations?

Old 07-15-2018, 10:45 AM

51,655 posts, read 25,873,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
I went to a wedding about 2 years ago. There was a stack of greeting cards. Each time somebody entered the door, they had a card or gift with a card attached.

Whenever a co-worker had a baby, we would buy a Congratulations card. It didn't matter if it was a guy or a girl. We would all sign the card and give money to the boss to keep for safety. We had 3 babies born in a year. This is not a girly group. It's mostly men in finance.

I wonder if that's a regional thing. This was in Texas.
The racks of greeting cards at stores don't seem to be diminishing. I would think if nobody was buying cards, the racks would disappear.

Perhaps fewer are sending holiday cards, but I think birthday, wedding, baby, thank you, ... cards are still rolling along.

I cannot imagine getting an e-sympathy card.

Old 07-15-2018, 11:09 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,930,436 times
From my understanding this is a union plant that is closing and the operation moving to another state with non-union workers.

Old 07-16-2018, 01:02 PM

1,939 posts, read 2,165,924 times
Card use for major occasions is still in play, but the drop a note in the mail type of card is greatly declined. My daughter makes specialty cards, blank on the inside, that are sold in a local gift shop. Many people who still send handwritten notes are shopping for them in places other than the grocery, looking for something more unique.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment