Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2018, 07:42 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,741,887 times

Advertisements

Perhaps I'm just in a rut, but my coworker is pretty much beating me in numbers, even though my delivery and pitch according to the managers (any my opinion) is head over heels above my coworker. Granted my coworker is an attractive 20-something year old female, and I'm a 34 year old man. I try to stay on top of my sales game by constantly reading up on sales tactics and learning from others but no matter what I do I just can't compete with my attractive coworker lol. Seems like sales is more luck than anything else anyway.

I suppose it's more frustrating than anything else, because I am putting so much hard work and dedication to be successful at my position.

Last edited by santafe400; 07-24-2018 at 07:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2018, 09:25 PM

335 posts, read 357,052 times
I’m 35 and I’m with you. I’ve been in sales for 10+ years. It really wares on you after awhile. Don’t use the “she’s a cute female” excuse. Truth is, a lot of sales is just pure luck no matter how good your spiel is.

Old 07-25-2018, 10:06 AM

740 posts, read 457,542 times
There is nothing more I hate than a sales presentation. I'm the type of person that wants to get to the freaking point as quickly as possible. Anytime a salesperson walks into my office, I tell them to throw out their presentation or I'll throw them out of my office.

I just want to know if they know what my problem is and if they have solutions to my problem and how much it will cost me. That's it.

So when I offer my services to clients, I get to the point. No mumbo-jumbo BS. I ask the necessary questions to find what their issue is and I just give them several solutions to solve their issue, within their budget.

Old 07-25-2018, 10:28 AM

1,073 posts, read 623,368 times
While you can’t use looks as an excuse you would be blind to think a smoking hot sales rep doesn’t have an advantage.

I try to avoid sales jobs.

Old 07-25-2018, 10:45 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,793,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by santafe400 View Post
Perhaps I'm just in a rut, but my coworker is pretty much beating me in numbers, even though my delivery and pitch according to the managers (any my opinion) is head over heels above my coworker. Granted my coworker is an attractive 20-something year old female, and I'm a 34 year old man. I try to stay on top of my sales game by constantly reading up on sales tactics and learning from others but no matter what I do I just can't compete with my attractive coworker lol. Seems like sales is more luck than anything else anyway.

I suppose it's more frustrating than anything else, because I am putting so much hard work and dedication to be successful at my position.
Anything stopping you from hitting the gym and getting fit?

Old 07-25-2018, 02:41 PM

326 posts, read 199,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeminoleTom View Post
While you can’t use looks as an excuse you would be blind to think a smoking hot sales rep doesn’t have an advantage.

I try to avoid sales jobs.
Same here... I don't know how people do sales jobs. I am just not in to pitching anything to people.

... and yeah, I'm buying from the smokin' hot babe before I buy from the guy most of the time.

Old 07-25-2018, 03:04 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,843,144 times
You mention working on your spiel and finding it difficult to compete with a good looking woman. That makes me wonder what type of 'sales' you are in. Retail/service sector sales may depend on superficial things like a good spiel or appearances, but, true, professional sales requires hard work and dedication ... and is anything but, luck! 'Luck' is only something non-(successful)-salesmen depend on. During my 15+-years in professional sales (before moving into a direct marketing and business development role), I successfully subscribed to the approach of, "The harder I work, the luckier I get!"

Every salesman hits down spots, which, in my experience, is one of the toughest parts. At those times, regardless of how well you have done in the past, the question is always, "What have you done for me lately?" -- Many people are not equipped to handle that type of pressure or the stress of the emotional ups and downs. They are the ones who find something else to do. (Contrary to popular notion, 'sales is not something one can do, if they can't make it elsewhere).

Hang in there -- Don't sell her or yourself short by imagining it's all about looks.Watch your co-worker and look beyond her appearance to discover what you might learn from her. (You may be older and have been in sales longer, but, perhaps you have fallen into the trap of doing the same old thing, the same old way.)

Old 07-25-2018, 03:09 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,140,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
Anything stopping you from hitting the gym and getting fit?
Did the OP say anything about NOT being fit?
How di we know he's not?

Old 07-25-2018, 05:57 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,741,887 times
Quote:
Did the OP say anything about NOT being fit?
I think last time I checked I was 5 lbs overweight lol

Old 07-25-2018, 08:23 PM

468 posts, read 356,988 times
If you truly are starting to hate sales than quit and go into another line of work....life is way to short to work doing something you do not like....

A friend of mine has a son who graduated from college, joined the military and did tours in Iraq and Afghanistan and got out of the military as soon as he could.....moved to Manhattan and took a job with a restaurant meal delivery service start-up as a supervisor trainee to handle all the delivery employees.....lived in a large apartment with 4 other young guys as that is the only way he could stay in the city...

Within a few moments he started to hate the meal delivery service job so he quit.....saw an ad for one of the large insurance companies for an appraiser trainee position.....applied and got hired...good starting pay with bonus's and a company provided car that he could use for personal use as well....he loved it...meeting new people everyday...moved up the pay scale quickly ...met a girl who lived alone in the city in a very nice apartment as she had a high paying job traveling the world to set up corporate events....they fell in love, he moved in to her place, getting married next year and he continues to love his insurance appraiser job and his pay has risen substantial....

So maybe look into same kind of work if you enjoy driving and meeting people.
But first quit that job you now are starting to hate. Job stress blows....
Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment