Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2018, 06:29 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,387,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge ChemE View Post
Hi,

I am now studying and almost finishing a Master's Degree in Chemical Engineering, I have previous experience even abroad and I am about to be hired as Trainee in Supply Chain in an Australian Company based on Madrid. They asked me to put a professional background with hobbies and interests as a part of several documents I have to submit. I can say my hobbies and interests but I know would be better to put whatever they want to read. Ideas?

By hobbies and interests they mean something like model airplanes, equestrian, sailing, bird watching, playing ball, volunteering, clubs you've joined. I'd make it short and sweet in point form even. They aren't really going to read your resume word for word.
Your references had better be good though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2018, 06:48 PM

674 posts, read 608,609 times
Jorge - again, you are getting replies that are very US-centric. The culture is different over in Europe, and what is acceptable here may sound strange over there. Ask the folks who are in school with you in Spain, they'd be much more attuned to it than us. I worked for several years in Europe and it was a mini-culture shock when I got back to the US.

Old 07-21-2018, 07:32 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,736,853 times
How about being honest and actually put down what interests YOU! Do you have any hobbies? If not, put none. Not really that hard

Old 07-22-2018, 01:51 AM

853 posts, read 648,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nccoast View Post
Jorge - again, you are getting replies that are very US-centric. The culture is different over in Europe, and what is acceptable here may sound strange over there. Ask the folks who are in school with you in Spain, they'd be much more attuned to it than us. I worked for several years in Europe and it was a mini-culture shock when I got back to the US.
I know but this is an australian company and is rather different than spanish companies. Indeed, this company has a strong presence in the US as well. They have other mentality (fortunately).

Old 07-22-2018, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
What you wrote in Interests: is terrible. That's your goal, not an interest
I understand and I will change it today. Is not common to ask these things in spanish companies but as I mentioned this is an australian company and I thought probably similar to what companies in the US usually ask to employees and that's the reason I came here. Thank you for your advice, I will modify it soon and make it short.

Old 07-22-2018, 07:51 AM

11,129 posts, read 9,764,095 times
Op, do you have interests, other than military history? Do you have hobbies other than reading? What do you do in your spare time? Unless it's something disgusting or illegal, just write the truth.

examples:

tinkering with motorcycles
bread baking
gardening
role playing games
karaoke
hiking (trekking)
amateur astronomy
birdwatching
bicycle racing
playing chess, card games
collecting something
volunteering with some charity or other good works
etc

I think they just want to know if you're a real person with somewhat normal interests, and a life outside of work.

Old 07-22-2018, 02:21 PM

225 posts, read 150,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
They are looking to find out what makes you you.If military history is what you are interested in say so. If it is a particular era (Napoleonic wars, Medieval, WWII, etc) let them know. If there are particular sports you are interested in tell them. No this isn't a test where there is one correct set of answers.
Not in Europe you don't. If you are interested in military history you'd better leave the military part out of your resume if a European person may evaluate it. If asked, however, just relax and say "napoleonic wars" or whatever.

Old 07-22-2018, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odenwald View Post
Not in Europe you don't. If you are interested in military history you'd better leave the military part out of your resume if a European person may evaluate it. If asked, however, just relax and say "napoleonic wars" or whatever.
But take it easy, History is just enough, indeed, I also like general history since I have read and visited lots of places not related with military history, as examples: cathedrals, castles, churches, mayan pyramids, lots of museums in Sweden, Netherlands, UK, etc...

Old 07-22-2018, 03:27 PM

225 posts, read 150,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge ChemE View Post
[...] take it easy [...]
True. This is not the part of your resume to freak out about. Just be truthful and keep it soft around the edges:

military history = "history"

nude photography = "photography" or "art"

rifle club = "club activities"

growing marijuana = "gardening"

competitive hot-dog eater = "recreational gourmand"

etc. ...

You get the idea

Old 07-22-2018, 06:20 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
Just be sure whatever you put on your resume, you can support your info in an interview. Keep in mind you may be facing a fanatic of whatever hobby you fabricate.

Honesty is the best policy. People can recognize bs.

Now what you can do is give your modest hobby list "reading, napping, cooking omelets" then "planning my adventures hiking the Himalayas, studying to be a bee keeper, researching the best locations for scuba lessons"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment