Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2018, 12:55 PM

2,857 posts, read 2,169,936 times

Advertisements

The OP had started similarly whiny threads in the past about his lack of prospects, but never responded in length to posts asking for specifics so that constructive advice can be given. Those who take this post seriously shouldn't bother.

I do know someone who found his first real job in his forties. He wasn't sure what he wanted to do and ended up getting two masters degrees and an MBA. He's also one of the most pretentious and obnoxious persons I know, and I think that fully explains his employment woes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2018, 01:15 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
Some simply do not make good employees... but they can do well on their own.

Interesting guy I met with a grading and paving company... I asked why grading and paving?

He said he grew up on a farm and after the service got a job for a paving company... he and the owner didn't see eye to eye and he was fired...

Got a job at a competitor and was told his job was to operate the grader as told... and if he thought he knew better... maybe he should open his own company... and that is what he did 40 years ago...

Almost put the first guy out of business to prove his point... the second guy actually became friends... and to this day he says the second was the reason he started his business.

There were some large freeway contracts... too big for one so they did a joint bid and won the contract back in the 80's...

Again... some simply do not have the aptitude to work for others...

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 07-27-2018 at 02:32 PM..

Old 07-27-2018, 02:11 PM

2,911 posts, read 1,359,119 times
OP, if you're still there... do you think you might be lacking in the people skills area or you might be autistic? Either one is a serious roadblock to employment. If you think that's a possibility you might want to check out some forums dedicated to social awkwardness or autism.

Old 07-27-2018, 03:31 PM

674 posts, read 608,241 times
The OP claims to have a "M.S. in engineering, MBA, B.S. in computer science". If you believe it, or if you believe what he posted, then I have a marina in the Sahara I want to sell you.

Funny how just one absurd claim can generate 5 pages of debate. I think it's time to fold up and let this thread meet its well-deserved demise.

Old 07-27-2018, 04:43 PM

2,911 posts, read 1,359,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nccoast View Post
The OP claims to have a "M.S. in engineering, MBA, B.S. in computer science". If you believe it, or if you believe what he posted, then I have a marina in the Sahara I want to sell you.

Funny how just one absurd claim can generate 5 pages of debate. I think it's time to fold up and let this thread meet its well-deserved demise.
Maybe the OP has a M.S in B.S.

Old 07-27-2018, 06:29 PM

92 posts, read 58,207 times
I don't know why people assume that just because the guy has a Comp Sci degree he is forever employable. You can be (previously) highly educated and intelligent and become obsolete. If he is too lazy to stay on top of current technology, employees will tell him to his face that we are looking for someone who knows XYZ and you don't know jack about it, goodbye.

Old 07-29-2018, 11:11 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,185,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpointer View Post
While I am smart and highly educated, employers continually tell me that I have no skills to offer to employers. Thus, I am unable to get a job despite great effort. I am feeling unemployable.

I know there are many quality jobs that I can do, but getting rejected continuously is very demoralizing, and I worried about becoming homeless due to lack of income.

What can I do?

I have been through something very similar. No one is ever going to believe you, yet at the same time, none of these people will ever truly help you either. Sure they will have advice, (everyone has advice, but that is not what you really need, you need leads, an "in" etc... besides, you have probably heard it all before already) they will tell you how there is no way it is true, you should be able to get hired, yet not in any way be able to help you get hired or find a job.

It is funny how that works.

The problem is when people look at your education, they expect you to be working, or at a certain place in your career given time frames of graduation etc... and when you aren't, no hire for you. The people who hire come up with all kinds of stories, based on nothing but unfounded fear fueled by herd mentality, about how given this you must be some undesirable type of person, and even if you are applying to jobs that you qualify for, no hire.

Employers all talk about how they can't find anyone, but place someone who is qualified to do the job, yet not perfect on paper (even though it has nothing to do with wether or not that person can do the job), and these same employers take all but 3 seconds to cast you aside.

Especially since you have an engineering/CS degree. People act weird when it comes to people having engineering or CS degrees. They think it is some kind of holy grail to employment, and it isn't.

How long have you been looking?

If it is still pretty recent, keep looking.

If it is long term, like a couple years, switch gears and do something completely different in your life.

Keep trying to land the impossible, no matter how qualified you are, and you are going to lose your mind and mental health.

They say things are different today, employers are more open to people who aren't "qualified" (I think the WSJ just published an article about this), but I haven't found that to be true. I come out of the woodwork a couple times a year and test the waters again and nothing has really changed.

Old 07-30-2018, 04:37 AM

1,589 posts, read 1,189,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry-Koala View Post
Maybe the OP has a M.S in B.S.
Agreed. If his feedback here is representative of his feedback at work, I think I know the answer to his question.

Old 07-30-2018, 06:05 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,764,850 times
The OP hasn't responded yet, have they?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment