Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2018, 03:43 AM

59 posts, read 48,852 times

Advertisements

I'm a 20yr old guy and last year in June 2018, I took my secondary school exams here in Ireland but got 6F's and 1E which gave me 20 points. Long story-short, I was told that failing that badly is the equivalent of dropping out and not having the diploma.

I've been trying to apply for jobs but so far no luck though I still persist with it. Some people here are saying that I have to retake my exams (there is no option for a GED like in the States) but that is costly now and people are saying it's better to go for an apprenticeship which I'll only need a Junior Cert for (which I have, equivalent of 9th grade diploma in US)

Someone suggested that the reason I'm not getting any calls back is that the interviewee 1.) doesn't like my lack of experience and 2.) can see that I don't have a HS diploma/GED like they can in the US with a background check. Is this true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2018, 05:33 AM

6,345 posts, read 11,109,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amandafrom97 View Post
I'm a 20yr old guy and last year in June 2018, I took my secondary school exams here in Ireland but got 6F's and 1E which gave me 20 points. Long story-short, I was told that failing that badly is the equivalent of dropping out and not having the diploma.

I've been trying to apply for jobs but so far no luck though I still persist with it. Some people here are saying that I have to retake my exams (there is no option for a GED like in the States) but that is costly now and people are saying it's better to go for an apprenticeship which I'll only need a Junior Cert for (which I have, equivalent of 9th grade diploma in US)

Someone suggested that the reason I'm not getting any calls back is that the interviewee 1.) doesn't like my lack of experience and 2.) can see that I don't have a HS diploma/GED like they can in the US with a background check. Is this true?
It sounds like you are in Ireland and not the USA. That being the case, I don't know if we can accurately assess the problem unless someone in this forum has lived in Ireland.

If you have a shot at getting a job in a trade such as plumber, carpet layer, etc. and don't need a HS Diploma or GED, I would go with that. It is possible to get some jobs in the USA without a GED or HS Diploma, but our standards will likely be different than Ireland. And each employer will have different standards on minimum education regardless of the country unless there is some kind of government mandate on the issue.

Old 08-01-2018, 06:31 AM

4,988 posts, read 2,723,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
It sounds like you are in Ireland and not the USA. That being the case, I don't know if we can accurately assess the problem unless someone in this forum has lived in Ireland.

If you have a shot at getting a job in a trade such as plumber, carpet layer, etc. and don't need a HS Diploma or GED, I would go with that. It is possible to get some jobs in the USA without a GED or HS Diploma, but our standards will likely be different than Ireland. And each employer will have different standards on minimum education regardless of the country unless there is some kind of government mandate on the issue.
^^ Correct

Old 08-01-2018, 10:34 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,590,402 times
Quote:

Not to be a smart aleck, but it's actually harder to get one WITH a Bachelors, Masters, or PHD than WITHOUT a high school diploma. The reason is, that it never really needed one and they'd be happy to take advantage of your inability to get other jobs to get you in, knowing you can't flee. However, even if you have an Associates, you'd get hired later than someone who only had a high school diploma or less.

The reason is, the more education you have, the more likely they think you are to run when something better comes along, so they think there is no need to bother wasting time training you only to have you leave at the nearest opportunity.

True, they can do it for high school students who go back school and don't work while in school, though, increasingly, a student doing that is frowned upon and will be held against them later on when they try and get a job during or after college.

Old 08-01-2018, 10:58 PM

255 posts, read 184,458 times
These days it seems that having a high school dehree is a BASIC requirement. A lot of jobs require at least a couple of years in college. But yes like people said above, try a trade and get a vocational certificate.

Old 08-01-2018, 11:32 PM

110 posts, read 67,291 times
Quote:
I've always put down where I graduated from on applications. Not once was I asked to provide it or even a copy, in my entire life.
No one verifies this because pretty much EVERYONE already has a high school diploma so they just take your word for it. At least in our area. You may need to move to an area where everyone holds a high school diploma then of course, they usually won;t bother looking you up. My suggestion. Choose a high school and list you graduated there in 2014, or whatever year you'd turn 18.

Then I suggest you get a job with a Supportive Living Agency for developmentally disabled adults. 33+ hrs will offer you Medical, dental, 401k, 1.5x on holidays, basically you are paid to sleep. There are also awake shifts but not worth it. Paid a few more bucks an hour but really, not worth it. Pretty sweet gig to save $$. 18 hr shifts during the week and 24-48 hr shifts on weekends. Less hours too if you prefer.

Or be a paid roommate which is what is what my friend did. Paid to sleep mon-fri 10pm-6am.
Saved a good amt of $$ very quickly for a down payment on a small home. She has invisible disabilities herself so she cannot do much except caregiving. Paid just $320 mo housing expenses (which is very low) for water, electricity, internet and trash. It is subsidized housing so the developmentally disabled person only pays 30% of their income and you chip in 50% of that. Trash and water are usually free. While the client was at a special day program, she had the house to herself during the day. She grew tired of having to be home by 10pm mon-fri but it was a good gig for 2-3 yrs. Long enough to qualify for a home loan. After her usual 40 hrs of sleep, she was paid overtime for any additional shifts which she loved. There weren't many opportunities for overtime though. Maybe one shift each month

She put herself through College taking classes starting in the later afternoon getting home close to 8pm at night. Graduated then became fluent in sign language being a substitute for the office of education as an ESL interpreter. After a while, she was hired 4 hrs a day. It averages to just $925 mo but she seems to do ok on the $650 she remaining for food, car expenses, and entertainment. Lots of paid holidays and 5 weeks off during the summer. She'll receive a good pension at age 65 so she's staying put.

Phlebotomists have very little training but can also do very well.A friend/acquaintance of mine works 3.5 hrs a day making $18 per hr. She travels to two rehab sites nearby her home. Maybe she is a mobile phlebotomist.

Last edited by BagelLover; 08-02-2018 at 12:25 AM..

Old 08-02-2018, 08:08 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,642 posts, read 81,333,263 times
I have never seen a job announcement here in the U.S. that didn't require at leas a HS diploma or GED, except for fast food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment