Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 03:33 PM

3,661 posts, read 2,950,643 times

Advertisements

I have done it all, labor to delivery to office jobs and at this point have found nothing I like to do for 40 hrs a week. So to fix that I do 2 jobs about 20 hrs each. I see it as taking in half a cup of poison vs a whole cup if that makes sense.

It all gets to you either way. Either your body is worn down or mind is or bored to death. Office jobs HURT! I get more body aches not moving. OTOH, 40 hrs of labor is too tough. At this moment I have a sit down job 16 hrs and a stand up moving job 24 hrs. Not bad, I miss out on benefits but I figure its not worth the misery to work one job I can't stand and frankly I can't stand them all in reality.

Office jobs have so much politics and I get sick of the people day in and day out. Same old " how are the kids".

Labor jobs- you work with a lot of meatheads, cuss and cuss and drive their Dodges and pickups home and cuss some more.

I think the happy solution is win that lottery and never have to do any of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2017, 04:05 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,100,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post
I have done it all, labor to delivery to office jobs and at this point have found nothing I like to do for 40 hrs a week. So to fix that I do 2 jobs about 20 hrs each. I see it as taking in half a cup of poison vs a whole cup if that makes sense.

It all gets to you either way. Either your body is worn down or mind is or bored to death. Office jobs HURT! I get more body aches not moving. OTOH, 40 hrs of labor is too tough. At this moment I have a sit down job 16 hrs and a stand up moving job 24 hrs. Not bad, I miss out on benefits but I figure its not worth the misery to work one job I can't stand and frankly I can't stand them all in reality.

Office jobs have so much politics and I get sick of the people day in and day out. Same old " how are the kids".

Labor jobs- you work with a lot of meatheads, cuss and cuss and drive their Dodges and pickups home and cuss some more.

I think the happy solution is win that lottery and never have to do any of it.
I personally think that's a great idea.

If you get fed up with one of your 2 jobs, you can quit it and find another 20 hours.

The major problem is benefits like you said.

The system is broken and most people (the VAST majority of people) would rather work at something they have zero inspiration for, for their entire life if they can keep increasing their salary and upward mobility.

I'm pretty sure there is something you are inspired to do, at least more than you are now. Whether or not, it is practical to chase that is another question.

Old 04-17-2017, 05:33 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,916,278 times
Good way to think about that. Another way to look at it , find a 20 hour job for $10 a hour and another one for same..easy 400 a week. and luxary to switch around the market. I might think about that..

But yes 40 at the same job, repative people with drama is getting really old. Thus the reason why i hope this engineer job i get will got through. Be working alone most of the time, and if i need help, i can grab somebody from the part time pool for a few hours. But still i get to be alone, no drama, no micromanagement.. work from home.. own hours. not bad..

Old 04-17-2017, 06:10 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,118,083 times
Yep, this is the conundrum I face as well in an office job. My goal is to build up my hourly rate to a point where its really good but not so good that im a lay off target. Then get my finances in order such that I only have to work 30hrs a week at the office and then I can have more time to jog or lift weights on my own or do what ever.

The only issue with this is it typically takes a decade or more for most people to build up a decent hourly rate and then get all their gorillas paid off (house, car, 1 major toy) after that you can easily pay taxes and food, vacations with 30 hrs a week if you don't have those behemoth house/car/toy payments going out. Mortgage payments are what drown most people.

I hope to go to 30 hrs a week in 5 years or less. Working with meat heads is far worse than talking about peoples kids in the office. The 300 lb gorilla in the room with office jobs is the lack of physical activity and obesity, some people can micro manage their diets to such a point that they keep slim but your physical activity is so low that any extra calories go to fat (unless you spend all your off time working out and sleep 5 hrs a night, I have some co-workers who did that for a few years, but that gets old and they eventually burn out).

Old 04-17-2017, 08:56 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,225,683 times
My office job allows for exercise, you don't have to sit all day. We have a 3 story, long building, so just going to meetings, checking on my staff, or dropping off things at another department provide opportunities to walk. In addition, 4 days a week I take the bus and walk a mile to the office from the bus stop. We also have a gym that can be used before or after, or at lunchtime. It took me less than two years to go from a cube to an office as a manager, but I had a lot of precious experience. There is a lot of variety in my work, and many challenges daily, so it's not boring. Finding that situation took many years, however.

Old 04-17-2017, 09:01 PM

926 posts, read 829,583 times
My office also allows for exercises. It can be boring, whenever it is I just get up and go
For a walk and conversate with co workers and I am non stop listening to music.

Old 04-17-2017, 09:14 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,546,021 times
find a job that isn't blue or white collar then?

Old 04-18-2017, 07:53 AM

4,416 posts, read 9,142,623 times
40 hrs indeed sucks. Jobs should offer 28 hr-32 hrs and that's it. Life is too short. More time should be spent in bars, gyms, and cofee shops.

Old 04-18-2017, 08:00 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,100,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
40 hrs indeed sucks. Jobs should offer 28 hr-32 hrs and that's it. Life is too short. More time should be spent in bars, gyms, and cofee shops.
There was actually a woman who used to work for my company who requested to be put at part time (4 out 5 days) and get 80% pay and they gave it to her.

For me, 80% of what I work would be somewhat close to 40 hours anyway , but it would make a big difference to me having that extra day off.

I do think they would do it for me but I would never, ever get promoted. I would also get called in periodically on my day off.

I periodically bat the thought around in the back of my head. It would be pretty awesome.

Old 04-18-2017, 08:04 AM

2,360 posts, read 1,916,278 times
really no need for 40+, thats just greedy of the owner/business. Good 32 a week will open up more slots for the unemployment to fill the other 8-16 hours part timers. Good for the body and family life. But this slave driving is getting out of control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment