Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2018, 11:15 AM

1,286 posts, read 1,483,482 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if anyone here currently lives in one state and works in another, or knows someone who has successfully done this?

My idea would be to have an actual residence and living quarters in Salt Lake City, and work in Las Vegas.
The reason for this is because I love the Salt Lake area and all it has in way of outdoor recreation, the culture, and I have a lot of family there.

I also have a lot of family in Las Vegas that I would be able to see on a regular basis while working in LV, and I'd be able to stay at their home for free while visiting, which is fortunate. Another reason I want to continue working in LV while living in Utah is because the wages there are substantially higher for my line of work, over $35/hr MORE. (I live in Las Vegas currently).

For transportation I was thinking I could take the public bus in LV, to get to and from work, as it's cheap and dependable. Maybe borrow my family's car if that didn't work out. And salt lake has a fabulous trax rail and commute plan that is easy to get anywhere.

I've checked flights, airline websites directly, google flights, and have found really good affordable nonstop flights between the two metros. My hourly wage is near the price of a round trip ticket so that isn't an issue.
I also have the good fortune to be able to choose my exact working days whenever I want in Las Vegas, and can change them if needed as well.

I'm just wondering if I am overlooking any big obstacles here, or anyone can think of why this would be a bad idea? I don't mind traveling back and forth. I have found affordable options. I know there are people out there that do this but I'd like to get in touch with them regarding specifics and hearing the downsides. Thanks all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2018, 11:18 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,989,150 times
I'm doing this. Lots of people in my region do.

The obstacles really are filing the separate tax returns for me. So, check out the tax implications.

The other, is the health insurance /provider options available in the home state (where I work) are more restrictive (and less desirable) in the state I actually live in.

Old 08-10-2018, 11:21 AM

35,083 posts, read 31,331,023 times
I used to live in Tennessee and work in Virginia. I had to file a Virginia tax return every year, but other than that, there was nothing to it.

Old 08-10-2018, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I'm doing this. Lots of people in my region do.

The obstacles really are filing the separate tax returns for me. So, check out the tax implications.

The other, is the health insurance /provider options available in the home state (where I work) are more restrictive (and less desirable) in the state I actually live in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I used to live in Tennessee and work in Virginia. I had to file a Virginia tax return every year, but other than that, there was nothing to it.
What were the reasons that you guys currently/formerly worked in a different state?
Do you feel like even with travel, gas, lodging, airfare all factored in...that you still came out on top financially?

Good points about the insurance. Luckily I'm young and in good health and wouldn't need to use it too much.

Old 08-10-2018, 11:32 AM

5,117 posts, read 6,098,741 times
It is what 400 miles from SLC to LV? I think it would be a stretch to have a permanent job in LV and claim to live in SLC. A temporary or short term one maybe. Are you planning on staying with family/friends forever?

When you said live in one state and work in another I thought you meant like folks here in the DC area do. Some of us live in Maryland and work in DC with an hour commute (some do longer) or even West Virginia or PA to DC

That is easy, most companies can take the appropriate state taxes out. With what you are considering the tax folks may see it as a tax avoidance plan and say you should be paying NV taxes.

Old 08-10-2018, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
It is what 400 miles from SLC to LV? I think it would be a stretch to have a permanent job in LV and claim to live in SLC. A temporary or short term one maybe. Are you planning on staying with family/friends forever?
Well my plan is to do this 2-3 years while saving up for graduate school, then relocate to an entirely different region of the U.S. I would be staying with family while in Vegas and my mom has agreed to let me stay there whenever. Not forever, just a few years more or less.

Quote:
That is easy, most companies can take the appropriate state taxes out. With what you are considering the tax folks may see it as a tax avoidance plan and say you should be paying NV taxes.
Of course I would pay the appropriate taxes...I guess I would just have to find a tax preparer that was familiar with those rules and regulations and explain my circumstances.

Old 08-10-2018, 11:47 AM

5,117 posts, read 6,098,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chahunt View Post
Well my plan is to do this 2-3 years while saving up for graduate school, then relocate to an entirely different region of the U.S. I would be staying with family while in Vegas and my mom has agreed to let me stay there whenever. Not forever, just a few years more or less.

Of course I would pay the appropriate taxes...I guess I would just have to find a tax preparer that was familiar with those rules and regulations and explain my circumstances.

It doesn't matter what you think is the appropriate taxes. It is what the state/city/county thinks is the appropriate taxes. There are guidelines involving things like where is your car garaged on a regular basis, where do you sleep most of the nights, how long have you been doing it. I'll assume you have a UT drivers license, address, been paying taxes there. How long have you been doing it? Just while you were in school? These are all things that enter in to it. Are UT taxes much lower than NV?

I know in Maryland you have 60 days after moving here to change your license and car tags. It isn't heavily enforced but in general anything over 6 months would be considered a permanent move.

Old 08-10-2018, 11:51 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,683,507 times
Quote:

When you said live in one state and work in another I thought you meant like folks here in the DC area do. Some of us live in Maryland and work in DC with an hour commute (some do longer) or even West Virginia or PA to DC

I have one friend who has a coworker who lives in the adjacent state, but it is like a 5-hour drive so not so different from what the OP is proposing. I think initially she just went home on the weekends but now it is mostly telecommute so she just comes in one or two days a week and then works from home the other 3-4 days a week. In her case, her husband was in the home state and she owned a home there. It really didn’t make sense for her to move when the job was primarily telecommute after the first year.

Old 08-10-2018, 12:10 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,386,823 times
Many people in NYC do this, they live in NJ and commute to NYC

Old 08-10-2018, 12:30 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,989,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chahunt View Post
What were the reasons that you guys currently/formerly worked in a different state?
Do you feel like even with travel, gas, lodging, airfare all factored in...that you still came out on top financially?

Good points about the insurance. Luckily I'm young and in good health and wouldn't need to use it too much.

Cost of housing. I couldn't afford to buy a place where I had been renting and working. In the long run, I should come out ahead financially and lifestyle wise.

And, don't take health for granted... I was perfectly healthy and much younger when my appendix went...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment