Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 02:07 PM

5,460 posts, read 7,757,868 times

Advertisements

Do you currently work on or would you be willing to work on a flexible work schedule, given the opportunity?

"Flexible work schedule" defined here as a 40-hour weekly/80-hour bi-weekly schedule where you can either: (1) change your starting or stopping work times each day (for example, working 7:00 AM-3:30 PM one day, 8:00 AM-4:30 PM the next, etc.); or (2) vary the number of hours worked each day (i.e., 6 hours one day, 8 hours the next, or 10 hours the next, etc.), as long as your total bi-weekly hours add up to 80. Or a combination of both #1 and #2, put together.

Where I work, there are a lot of people on compressed work schedules such as the 5/4/9 or 4/4/10 plans, but relatively few people who choose to be on true flexible work schedules, for some reason that I don't quite totally understand. In my own case, I am personally on a flexible work schedule where I can come in anytime between 6:00-9:30 AM every day, and leave 8 hours after I come in. Also in the process of adding an additional flexibility where I will be able to work on a different number of set hours every day if I want to, again as long as the total bi-weekly hours add up to 80 total. (My ideal schedule that I will hopefully be able to have very soon and which has already been tentatively approved would be working 11-hour days every Monday and Friday of each week and then 6 hours a day every day, Tuesday - Thursday I can also change up my starting and stopping hours every working day as well, or can further change up the max hours worked each day, as needed )

Last edited by Phoenix2017; 10-23-2014 at 02:19 PM.. Reason: Adds/Edits
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2014, 02:29 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,312,063 times
I would definitely do 10 hours mon-thurs. to get that 3-day weekend EVERY week.

Old 10-23-2014, 03:35 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,883,335 times
I doubt you will find a single individual in the entire world who would not be "willing" to work a flexible schedule. After all, if you want to keep the same hours every day you are free to do so under such a system. Sort of like "would you be willing to work at a job with the option of free massages." Of course--because if you don't want a massage, you simply don't get one.

As far as how I would personally put that flexibility to use...probably not a whole lot. Under normal circumstances I wouldn't value extra days off enough to put in oppressively long hours on the other days that week. Primarily, I would not want to give up time with my partner/friends/loved ones in the evenings to...what...sit at home by myself on Fridays? I could see myself doing it from time to time, for example working longer hours surrounding a planned vacation to conserve PTO.

The somewhat-flexible schedule is one of the few things I really like about my current position. If you have your hours in and there is nothing pressing pending, you can take off a bit early on Friday. Or if you need to leave an hour early or come in a hour late due to an appointment, you can make up that time on a different day. But we have to be there to respond to client calls during our operating hours, so the flexible schedule thing can't get too crazy.

Old 10-23-2014, 03:45 PM

1,115 posts, read 2,496,972 times
I love a flexible work environment. I worked in the video game industry, and every position I worked was flexible schedule. I don't see why you would dislike it. I think the only reason people dislike it may be the lack of supervision, or people wasting too much time and abusing the system, finding they have tons of work to do yet at the end of the week.

But honestly, flexible schedule is great. It's based not on how much time you spend in the office, but how efficiently you work. You have a big window of when you need to show up in the morning and a window when you leave. Maybe you get really into your work one night and stay at the office till midnight. Next day you work a half day to make up and take the rest of the day off. Maybe traffic is bad at rush hour so you can come in earlier or later to miss the traffic. You never have to miss an important event, or doctor appointment, or your children's events. I think this is how all companies should work, but once again, some people fail under the lack of supervision.

Old 10-23-2014, 04:44 PM

11,157 posts, read 7,952,361 times
Where I work you can " shift trade" on or off. I can give away hours or pick up hours. I do my 40 hours in 3 days. I work 16 hours on Tuesday, 8 on Wednesday and 16 on Thursday, off Friday, Saturday , Sunday and Monday.
Someone picks up 2 of my morning shifts and I pick up 2 of their night shifts. We can trade away up to 50% of our scheduled shifts per quarter. ( though not really enforced).

Old 10-23-2014, 06:03 PM

35,680 posts, read 21,030,020 times
si si used to have similar they took it away...

Old 10-29-2014, 05:50 PM

11,157 posts, read 7,952,361 times
My job just got more flexible. I went from full to part time and will only work enough hours to retain my health and travel benefits.

Old 10-29-2014, 07:30 PM

388 posts, read 535,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.2089 View Post
I would definitely do 10 hours mon-thurs. to get that 3-day weekend EVERY week.
I would definitely do it and rotate:
Week A: Mon - Thurs, 10 hours each day.
Week B: Tues - Fri, 10 hours each day.

Basically alternating a regular 2 day weekend then followed by a 4 day weekend!

Old 10-29-2014, 07:48 PM

403 posts, read 935,241 times
I do 9 hour days and have off every other Friday. I love it except that I tend to pile my day off with doctor's appointments and errands. Prior to 9 hour days, I worked flexible 8 hour days. I could go in anytime from 6:30 to 9 each day. I love having a flex schedule and don't know if I can ever go back to a typical work schedule. My employer is currently working on approving telework were we could have one work from home day a pay period. Some of my friends in different agencies work 2 telework days A WEEK in addition to their flex schedule. One of the perks of working for the Govt!

Old 10-29-2014, 08:09 PM

917 posts, read 2,004,559 times
at my job you can leave at 3 or 4 as long as you work 8 hrs. I leave at 5 tho as I'm not a morning person so I get in at 9. I don't think I'd be happy working 9+ hrs a day but maybe that would depend on the job.

A 30 hr 4 day work week would be great. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment