Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2018, 07:42 PM

5,717 posts, read 4,298,375 times

Advertisements

Or know anyone who has sued for discrimination or retaliation or other serious civil infractions involving wrongful termination after they started a new job? How'd that work out for you/them, assuming the new employer found out. And what I mean specifcially is how did the new employer react.

I know someone about to do just that, and there's a nearly 100% chance the new employer will find out and likely won't be too pleased, because they are closely affiliated with the old one (different agencies of the same government body).

Last edited by PJSaturn; 08-08-2018 at 09:21 PM.. Reason: Edited thread title at OP's request
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2018, 09:24 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,469,850 times
Of course they'll find out. It's public record.

Old 08-08-2018, 09:30 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,392,424 times
It's public record but I'm not sure it goes down in the public record, until a judgment/verdict is rendered.

Old 08-08-2018, 09:34 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,528,052 times
Well, if it's a government body, they aren't likely to break the law. So, if someone rightfully sues their previous employer, it's not very likely that their current govt job is going to sue them or fire them for suing their former employer. If it was me, I would not only not worry about it, but would feel strong in the fact that my current employer is on notice - if they mess with me, I'll sue them :-)

Old 08-08-2018, 09:44 PM

13,131 posts, read 21,016,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
It's public record but I'm not sure it goes down in the public record, until a judgment/verdict is rendered.
It appears when filed.

I Just ran a PACER search and it returned over a dozen discrimination and fair employment cases filed by individuals against companies just for yesterday. This covered both state and federal courts. It list the person's full legal name and if already scanned, I can read the actual complaint along with all reported information on the plaintiff. You can sample just how much information is available and how quickly it appears just by using Justia.

So, as an employer, I can easily run every employee's or applicant's names through the system and see if they are going to become a sue happy burden. No reason to hire or keep someone whose attention is probably going to be on their suit and not on their work. You'll be surprised how far back we can search and all the types of lawsuits we can see. Civil suits have a very, Very, VERY long lifespan of visibility!

Old 08-08-2018, 09:59 PM

Being publically available and becoming known to the public are two different things. Being part of the same government body the new employer may find out through the grapevine, or through the state's attorneys who may want to dig up dirt on him. But maybe not.

But the public will only find out if they go looking for the information (how many people search Pacer daily?), or if media catches wind of it and decides its "news".

Nevertheless, it could become known to the public and due to the nature of the defendant, that chance may be higher.

Last edited by Deserterer; 08-08-2018 at 10:08 PM..

Old 08-08-2018, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
It appears when filed.

yeah, it appears in in court records, but not on billboards television or in newspapers (unless the media found it)

Old 08-08-2018, 10:10 PM

So the question I meant to ask originally is, should the employee tell the employer before the lawsuit begins? He may be uckfayed either way so I don't know if one is better than the other.

Old 08-08-2018, 10:35 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,469,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
It appears when filed.

I Just ran a PACER search and it returned over a dozen discrimination and fair employment cases filed by individuals against companies just for yesterday. This covered both state and federal courts. It list the person's full legal name and if already scanned, I can read the actual complaint along with all reported information on the plaintiff. You can sample just how much information is available and how quickly it appears just by using Justia.

So, as an employer, I can easily run every employee's or applicant's names through the system and see if they are going to become a sue happy burden. No reason to hire or keep someone whose attention is probably going to be on their suit and not on their work. You'll be surprised how far back we can search and all the types of lawsuits we can see. Civil suits have a very, Very, VERY long lifespan of visibility!
You sound like an absolute joy to work for.

Lawsuits are only a problem for those who plan to work for others the rest of their life. To answer the question: yes I know someone who has successfully sued an employer and did well afterwards.

Old 08-08-2018, 10:43 PM

13,131 posts, read 21,016,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
Being publically available and becoming known to the public are two different things.
There are hundreds of services that siphon every court filing into their own huge databases and sell that data to hundreds of other services that send info and changes to info to employers. Its similar to when a person's name appears anywhere in any media story and the employer knows within hours. When information goes into the public arena, it has value to someone and services find all sorts of ways to immediately obtain that information and make money off of disseminating that information. Every day, every employee of mine can be scanned through a service that would reports any information changes on that person. It could be a government listing, a media report, suspended pay pal account, what concert tickets you bought last night, if your license plate used a fast food restaurant's drive through and even where you spent the night if you kept your smartphone with you! Do not for a second think your life is yours anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment