Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2018, 08:48 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,589,359 times

Advertisements

I got to thinking, if you ever got into a situation where you know if you stayed you'd be fired within the near future, would it be better to let them fire you or would it be better to resign before they could fire you?

This could be under circumstance like:

1) You are being overworked on purpose in the hopes to set you up to fail (or so it seems. Or maybe you're just short staffed and find you're making more and more mistakes because you're overworked and you know that the axe is going to fall sooner or later.)
2.) You know you'd be asked to do something you felt was very immoral (even if not by law illegal for the company to ask you to do it) and you don't think you can force yourself to do what they are asking.
3.) Bad luck went your way (perhaps car breaking down, etc) and you may be near a PIP anyway. Not exactly the fault of the employer but clearly things are going south fast and aren't going to bounce back.
4.) Something came up that would force a drastic change in schedule, something you couldn't really avoid and have no way to really change, and you don't think your employer will cooperate, leading you into a situation where you are likely to be terminated (i.e. perhaps a divorce or something leading you to be a single mother with custody of the kids where your work schedule would have to change but you know ahead of time that your employer won't cooperate, based on how they've treated others in similar situations.)

Would it be better on things like collecting unemployment, references, hirability at other companies, etc if you were let go for "insubordination" or otherwise terminated, or if you quit, possibly within less than two weeks, before you could be officially fired?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2018, 08:54 PM

4,976 posts, read 2,716,855 times
It is best to get a new job and leave, rather than wait to be fired.

Old 08-09-2018, 09:06 PM

5,985 posts, read 2,920,728 times
Being able to honestly say that you quit your last job is almost always better than having to say you were fired

Old 08-10-2018, 06:39 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,890,884 times
This was about 3 years ago. Personally I stayed past the PIP period and they found another reason to get me out ("budget")

I got unemployment. I have enough positive references and know how to talk shop enough to where it didn't affect me much. I didn't quit because it was only 4 months into the job and I had nothing to lose. It's actually easier to say I got laid off than quit. It helps in the future that that entire department was shuttered which backs up my story.

My current role hired me because of a positive back channel reference.

Old 08-11-2018, 10:27 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,901,247 times
None of those situations you listed sound good for career longevity

If I found myself in any of them, I would take the following steps:

1. Start gathering references from co-workers and other managers I have a good working relationship with because I know that I am going to need them soon!

2. Let them sack me. It is going to be for 'performance' and not for 'misconduct' so in all likelihood I will qualify for UI benefits assuming that I have enough credits.

3. Find out the company's position on future employers calling for references and what information will be disclosed.

I wouldn't outright quit since what are you going to do for money in between jobs?

Generally most employers will only give dates employed/title so it's unlikely your former employer will tell the new potential employer that you were sacked.

Old 08-12-2018, 01:33 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,744,165 times
I can't see ever getting that far into a bad situation. I'd be gone as soon as I felt management moving against me. I have left jobs and worked freelance or consulting until a new job came along, and it has never hurt me in terms of employment history.

Old 08-12-2018, 08:35 PM

7 posts, read 2,407 times
If you’re being asked to do something illegal, gather enough evidence prior to quitting. If the amounts are sufficient, you might have a good whistle blower case. The requirements are strict and the odds are long but it might be worth your consideration.

Don’t get mad, get even.

Old 08-13-2018, 07:22 AM

5,717 posts, read 4,298,375 times
You wont get unemployment if you're fired for misconduct or you quit.

If you are being set up to fail, think hard on why they might be doing it. Your morals might be getting in the way again here, if you think you MIGHT be asked to do something "immoral". I highly recommend sensitivity training or something to stop that from always getting in your way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment