Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2018, 05:34 PM

50,795 posts, read 36,501,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonerpatroller View Post
I'm just gonna keep this baby short and simple. So, my store that I work at is now retraining all of my co-workers, me included for checking IDs concerning tobacco simply because one of my co-workers sold tobacco to a minor. This time around they are really cracking down and they even added a whopping fee of $500 and I think a court visit in addition if you fail a secret shop. I've had my first failed secret shop a year ago and I guess I could say I've sort of been doing well since then. I'm up next to be watched and retrained and I'm nervous as heck considering I don't ID everyone unless they look below 30 to me but I feel like I'm doing something wrong. Should I just ID everyone even if they look like they could be my grandmother/grandfather?
If you have any tips that would be appreciated. Thanks.
Everyone knows this is the case now in many stores. I get asked sometimes and I'm 56. Again, everyone knows that some places are going to ask and it is not the employees choice. No one is going to be offended. What is it you're so nervous about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2018, 05:42 PM

2,495 posts, read 1,872,885 times
The last time I bought wine at Target, I was asked for my ID. I'm almost 71 and I definitely look it. Apparently it's their policy to ID everyone for wine; I don't know about their policy for tobacco.

Old 08-10-2018, 05:53 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,009,897 times
ID EVERYONE.That way there is no way of letting someone underage sneak past you.

Old 08-10-2018, 05:58 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,082,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonerpatroller View Post
...they are really cracking down and they even added a whopping fee of $500 and I think a court visit in addition if you fail a secret shop....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
I'm going out on a limb here to say this is a troll post.

"Help, whenever I beat up people I go to jail. I don't know how I can stop going to jail. Can someone help me?"

128 replies: "Stop beating people up."
This is a bogus post. It is illegal for an employer to dock an employee's pay or to refuse to pay wages owed, an employer cannot assess a 'fine'. An employer cannot mandate a 'court visit'. Being mandated to appear in court requires due process- charges filed, service of a subpoena or summons, or arrest and none of these things can be done solely at the behest of the employer.

If an employee fails a 'shop' conducted by a government agency, the store may be liable for a fine; the employer may elect to terminate an employee for failing to adhere to policy but the employer cannot fail to pay the wages owed to the employee up to the date/time of termination and the employer cannot pass the liability for the fine on to the employee.

Another 'one post wonder' makes a grievous error in the attempt to foment controversy.

Old 08-10-2018, 06:08 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,082,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Everyone knows this is the case now in many stores. I get asked sometimes and I'm 56. Again, everyone knows that some places are going to ask and it is not the employees choice. No one is going to be offended. What is it you're so nervous about?
I am.

Even worse, I once had a cashier attempt to 'scan' my ID with some sort of device, intrusion and invasion of privacy at its finest. I snatched my license back and informed the clerk that the next time he wished to try that it would be advisable to call for an ambulance first, because one of us was going to need it, it was not sincere in that I had already reached the decision that that particular store would never see another cent of patronage from me...and they didn't.

The 'nanny state' is going too far and I am not going to simply remain silent.

Old 08-10-2018, 06:25 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,920,834 times
so, no email/cell phone/cable/credit card/many other personally identifiable documents use for you either?
If you have any of those, and more, everyone already knows everything about you, so dont sweat the small stuff..

Old 08-10-2018, 11:52 PM

579 posts, read 368,166 times
If a customer gets upset, just tell him that your government minders require this. Skip the lame jokes and just tell them the truth.

Old 08-11-2018, 01:45 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,330,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crd08 View Post
Just ID everybody
Yep. I work security, and when we do id checks for alcohol, we id everyone, even if we know that they're "of age," because you never know when that person is a young undercover cop.

Old 08-11-2018, 06:49 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
Yep. I work security, and when we do id checks for alcohol, we id everyone, even if we know that they're "of age," because you never know when that person is a young undercover cop.
A bar owner I know got busted that way. Served an underage cop sent in to check them out. The bartender swore the guy was in there before, too, hanging out and having a beer, but they couldn't prove it. Major fines.

Old 08-11-2018, 07:18 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,485,551 times
I'm in my mid 30s and I still get ID'd when buying alcohol (not a smoker) and don't mind it. ID everyone who doesn't look middle aged or older.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment