Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2014, 12:56 AM

810 posts, read 1,450,304 times

Advertisements

Well, Fidelity p'ed me off again, and I want to take all my money out.

All I know is Fidelity and Vanguard. I should stay hands-off. Believe me, I should. I never make good decisions. I need a company to run my money for me.

So I call Vanguard and I get a kid. A real nice kid, but a kid. I prowl through their website and it seems like it's hard to actually find a list of their funds. I haven't succeeded yet. And years ago, I had an account at Vanguard and their monthly statements were indecipherable.

Is Vanguard just for people who like to fight with their vendors to get what they want?

Fidelity has wonderful customer service, and I'm concerned about Vanguard's professionalism, because they so far don't seem to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2014, 03:37 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,709,672 times
I like Fidelity better. But Vanguard is good too. I don't have any problem finding a list of fund on Vanguard's website.

https://investor.vanguard.com/mutual...ual-funds-list

I've never had a problem with deciphering either Fidelity's or Vanguard's monthly statement.

Old 09-13-2014, 03:55 AM

106,707 posts, read 108,913,061 times
i use both. i also like fidelity better. but i am a private access customer so i do get special treatment. but even before that i found them to be just better to deal with when complex issues come up.

as an example a bank did not follow instructions and liquidated and transfered a cd a few days before it was due.. fidelity noticed they did it a few days before the date and hit me with a penalty. they took it upon themselves to call the bank and keep after them daily until the penalty was refunded. i didn't have to do a thing.

our fidelity office gives us yearly consultations and very nice retirement work ups more detailed than their on line planner .

they also threw a customer appreciation dinner for the private access clients that was top draw all the way.

Old 09-13-2014, 06:44 AM

1,767 posts, read 1,743,554 times
First complaint I've heard regarding Vanguard. It is such a large organization that no doubt you probably did get a young rep. They should be properly trained but I'm sure like most organizations the lower paid, high expectations positions are hard to fill and retain.

Check their site again when you have time to really look at it. I agree so many sites try to put so much stuff on it makes it hard to find what your looking for.

Old 09-13-2014, 08:03 AM

16,282 posts, read 10,421,470 times
Yeah it's not fair to evaluate a company by some low level phone answering guy. They have some of the lowest fees in the industry and several of their funds perform very well.

Old 09-13-2014, 08:09 AM

106,707 posts, read 108,913,061 times
for just fund investing vanguard is very good. if you require full services and research go fidelity.

Old 09-13-2014, 08:34 AM

1,914 posts, read 2,244,707 times
I've never had any difficulty finding a list of Vanguard funds. Just follow the instructions. It's not rocket surgery.

Old 09-13-2014, 08:36 AM

810 posts, read 1,450,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Yeah it's not fair to evaluate a company by some low level phone answering guy. They have some of the lowest fees in the industry and several of their funds perform very well.
I don't think I said that the problem was the kid. I think I said that the problem was a generally shaky approach to the customer interface. Do you want to send your money to an organization when every face that they present to you is a face of sub-competence?

As far as low fees is concerned, if the fees are included in the performance numbers, and the performance numbers are high, who cares what the fees are?

Old 09-13-2014, 08:45 AM

9,639 posts, read 6,020,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonorio View Post
I don't think I said that the problem was the kid. I think I said that the problem was a generally shaky approach to the customer interface. Do you want to send your money to an organization when every face that they present to you is a face of sub-competence?

As far as low fees is concerned, if the fees are included in the performance numbers, and the performance numbers are high, who cares what the fees are?
Vanguard and Fidelity both have outdated interfaces and antiquated websites. But... if you're leaving it untouched you shouldn't be spending much time on those sites.

Old 09-13-2014, 08:59 AM

4,948 posts, read 18,699,483 times
I have both Fidelity and Vanguard for IRA and the 401K and am happy with Vanguard funds. I also would not judge on a phone call. many years ago I had stocks and a young voice did answer my call. He now runs an office for UBS so young is sometime good
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing