Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2018, 02:20 PM

2,575 posts, read 2,077,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bell235 View Post
I only greet people I pass them in the hallway or if I walk by their office when I first come in. I don't walk around the whole office JUST to greet someone good morning, that seems kind of silly.
Yeah, same here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2018, 03:10 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,970,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teacher who retired View Post
I recently retired as a teacher in June. I have had the summer to think about my 40 years of teaching Elementary School.

Today I was thinking about the morning greeting. I and my fellow teachers would usually go to the employee break room about 30 minutes before the students arrive. We would arrive and get some coffee and sit and drink the coffee and prepare mentally for the day. What was missing was any personal interaction with any of the staff. The break room in the morning was usually stone quiet. Full of employees (teachers and administrative staff) but no one was talking to each other. Few if any greetings or chit-chat.

This silence was not directed at me, but towards everyone.

In your workplace what type of morning greetings did you have with your coworkers in the morning in the moments before you officially start working?
The workplace used to be regarded as a place to, you know, WORK. People used to be more serious, mature, and not expect constant entertainment and affirmation, IMO. It seems to me that increasingly work is viewed as a place to socialize and play, and your coworkers are supposed to be your friends. I'm not a fan of that cultural change, personally, but to each his own.

Old 08-13-2018, 03:17 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,385,776 times
Good work, mods.

OP is a serial multiple account troll who seems obsessed with starting threads about pretend awkward social/family/neighbor/work/etc. situations, such as this one.

Old 08-13-2018, 04:27 PM

779 posts, read 506,322 times
If I catch their eye, I say Good morning, and get one in return, mostly.

Old 08-13-2018, 07:27 PM

9,459 posts, read 5,221,264 times
I roll in and shout out loudly, "whaaaaazzzzzzzuuup *******! Let's get this party started." Just kidding I work in a government office and my work area is mostly teleworkers. No one is happy to be in the office. I'm surprised that I am still surprised that no one smiles much or is jovial. Kinda depressing. Thank God I don't count on them for any positive influence in my life haha

Old 08-13-2018, 08:00 PM

1,058 posts, read 676,440 times
Teachers are stressed and the kids talk too much! That's why they were quiet.

Old 08-13-2018, 08:43 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,392,751 times
i have to go in at weird hours at time, so I hate it when somebody says 'good Morning" at 2am. its not morning. its still night time, dont talk to me till the sun clears the trees

Old 08-13-2018, 08:52 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,093,624 times
If I see someone for the first time of the day and they are not involved in a task that requires their attention I say good morning or give a quick wave if they are across the room (noisy lab) I say good morning no matter what time of day. If someone said 'Its 3 PM!' I would say 'It's morning until I leave, that way I haven't wasted my whole day' Most people have gotten used to it, it has almost become a shop joke. I began doing it when I was in the Air Force and we were always working a 3 shift operation. My morning might be 4 PM or 9 PM or 2 AM depending on how shifts were set up.

Old 08-13-2018, 10:23 PM

10,897 posts, read 7,389,984 times
I always greeted everyone I saw in the morning, and chatted with my buddies.
It would be weird to be ignored.

Old 08-13-2018, 11:12 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,599,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
How strange. Were you at the same school all those years?

I taught briefly, and there was talk in the teacher's lounge, usually about a teacher or teachers who weren't present....LOL.

Can't imagine putting up with that for years, I would have sat in my classroom and had coffee.
We don’t meet in the lounge. The TAs are typically the only ones in there. We greet each other as we walk by each other’s rooms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment