Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 07:49 PM

1,355 posts, read 4,186,903 times

Advertisements

I'm currently working night shift stocking at a local grocery store. I only do this on Friday and Saturday nights as I'm in college full time. I guess because I'm young it's easy for me to adjust but it really doesn't mess with my body too much

On Friday's I wake up at 6:30 for class, have classes until 1 and then have the whole rest of the day to hang out and or study. I usually go to work around 10-11 (I've been working there over 3 years and I come in before the rest of the crew at midnight so they don't really care) and then work until about 8am or so. Basically whenever the job is done. After getting off Saturday morning it's straight to bed. Then back to work again Saturday night. After that I've stayed up the whole day Sunday and have gone to bed early, about 9pm to wake up again at 6:30 Monday morning.

I just find it funny I'm wide awake and alert for work yet have no trouble waking up on the day side Monday mornings again. I plan to continue this shift as it makes a world of difference having no customers and upper management around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 09:50 PM

68 posts, read 344,837 times
You said it...you are young. In my opinion, take advantage. If you are not being deprived of sleep, you have no children, no spouse, no other responsibility, other than college of course, then continue on. It's true, no customer and management to deal with, that is a good job don't ya think? ☺

Old 01-27-2010, 12:32 AM

1,359 posts, read 4,850,544 times
I did it for two or three years, full time. I always made the habit of sticking to the same sleep schedule on my days off, just because otherwise I'd have a really rough time through the first half of the work week. It kind of isolated me from "daytime" people, but I liked it. I've actually never gotten quite used to working normal hours again, even seven years later.

Supposedly, over long periods of time night shift workers have a greater incidence of certain health problems.

Old 01-27-2010, 01:30 AM

23,223 posts, read 29,056,523 times
I've been working the night shift (10-6) for 7 years now. I pity people stuck working the day shift.

I sleep from 9a-5p, while the day shifters are out there battling traffic jams and long lines at the stores. In the hot summer, they're out there in all that heat, and I'm waiting for the sun to set, waiting for things to cool down so I can take my very, very early morning walks and bicycle rides through the neighborhood, or shop at a 24 hour grocery store or Wal Mart with the aisles cleared of people.

I've become such a night owl, it hurts my eyes to go out during the daytime now and I find the experience totally disorientating, as I'm used to driving the streets with little or no traffic. When, beyond my control, I must venture out during the daytime, occasionally, I feel like an alien that's just landed from outer space on another planet.

Well, it's now 12:30AM, gotta check the air in my bicycle tires, before I take my lone bicycle ride through my utterly peaceful and quiet, traffic-free, neighborhood streets while pitying all the unfortunate day-trippers waiting for their alarms to go off in the morning.

Old 01-27-2010, 04:42 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,076,250 times
My husband works evening to early am and it's hard on him and us. I remember I worked 4:30 pm-2 or whatever when I was in my mid 20s, unmarried, a piece of cake.

But with a family, this shift is very rough.
We did agree to it initially because I thought I'd get a day job and be home for our child at night. He's also off weekends which would be fine but I cannot get a new job and there is no point (except the shift differential) for him to do this job.

Old 01-27-2010, 04:16 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,041,460 times
I worked nights for years and I loved it.

I saw a lot of people come and go on that shift and I learned it's a great match for some and a living nightmare for others. If you are one of the lucky ones, great. Take advantage of it.

Old 01-27-2010, 04:21 PM

36,421 posts, read 16,034,254 times
I have decided after being on weird hours for a year, no week is the same and some overnights, that I could work second, but not third. It would be great for me 3-11 or something like that, but overnight is hard, my whole next day is a blurrrrrrrr......

Old 01-27-2010, 04:35 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,932,360 times
I've worked night shifts. I did night shifts every other week during my Air Force career in one assignment; I did night shifts in my early journalism career; I did night shifts working security during college years and between journalism or radio jobs; my first steady radio job was a Sunday overnight show in upstate New York; my first full-time radio job was afternoon-evening news anchoring and reporting five days a week; and I've been a cab driver on shifts that began at one in the morning.

I now have a once-a-week radio comedy show in Las Vegas, Monday nights at nine (I could be wrong but I think I'm the only one in Las Vegas radio who's doing this kind of show), done the old-time way (sketches, dialogues, sound for ambience) but without the old-time cliches or the nostalgia angle. But I still fantasise now and then about getting an overnight show, even once a week. Though the standard overnight shift is three to five hours, and nobody can write a good, tight comedy show that lasts that long.

Old 01-27-2010, 04:50 PM

1,359 posts, read 4,850,544 times
The best shift I ever had was 4 PM to 12:30 AM. You still had almost the entire day, and you could still have a semi-normal sleep routine.

At the job where I did night shift, the day shift was reserved for longtime employees. People with families usually preferred the night shift because it allowed them to see their kids in the morning, take them to school, spend a little time with them in the evening, etc.

Worst shift was the afternoon/evening, IMO. You'd wake up and basically only have a few hours before you had to start getting ready for work, then you'd get home and only have a couple of hours before it was time for bed. The only time you could really relax and enjoy yourself was on your days off.

Old 01-27-2010, 06:29 PM

14 posts, read 44,474 times
I did 4pm-12am for a while and it was perfect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment