Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2018, 06:15 PM

20,548 posts, read 17,848,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
I remember in college, classes were hard and required a lot of hard work, memorization, studying, problem solving, etc. Especially math classes, science classes, and many others. I was an average student and always felt behind many of the brighter students.

Now I work and while it obviously requires me to think a lot, it’s not nearly as hard as college courses were. I work with people who I know made much better grades than me or went to better colleges, but I don’t feel they are any smarter or have a leg up on me like in college. I don’t struggle like I did in college. Mostly n cause I think experience trumps everything. If a smarter person learns something a little faster, it really doesn’t matter because my experience will get me there anyways. Or what we are learning doesn’t require you to be super smart. Anyone agree?
Sadly, it sounds like the OP you are in one of those professions that get carried by other underpaid people who have it much harder at work.

Majority of difficult careers don't pay as well as professions that are much easier than college. Take most banking positions. There are nothing left to do for most bankers except to review policies and have their software IT folks carry the heavy lifting work.

As I long time IT consultant, I have seen business workers perform less and less work as technology has replaced many functions that bankers used to do even decision making. You have tons of math grads use software to make risk analysis and provide financial decisions with just a few clicks of a button.

Sure many technology folks are well paid but at the end of the day it's peanuts vs what many business finance workers make doing next to nothing but review emails.

I've seen wealthy banks create tons of BS bank jobs while cutting technology jobs once they've abused and used up those tech workers and hire a bunch of do nothing analysts. Many business grads that got hired at large banks giggled about having nothing to do while the tech workers around them are running around like their heads got got off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2018, 04:28 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,887,324 times
Oh hell yeah!!! I was an engineering major so my coursework was 100 times more complex then the work I do at my job. I've had to design a few things by hand via calculator and text book equations but honestly 90% of my job is drafting. Also, all the formulas that I use are over simplified versions of what I learned in college so that they can be used by pretty much anyone with half a brain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment