Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 11:29 AM

3,879 posts, read 8,384,203 times

Advertisements

I definitely understand the personal preference.

For me, I work in such a extremely quiet, non-social space that any sort of talking and to me would be embraced. I say that a someone who is often the only one in he office with nearly zero interaction all day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2018, 12:54 PM

2,513 posts, read 2,074,629 times
I agree. I have some conversations like that at work, but I don't let them drag on.
I casually get back to work, so as not to appear too rude.

But what's also kind of nice is that most people I work with know that I don't have children,
so they don't generally come to me with their kid's stories.

I'm there to work, and be pleasant.

ETA...i'm only at work maybe 3-4 days a week, 4 hrs a day, so i'm not really privy to everything that's going on and being said.

Last edited by fresnochili; 09-24-2018 at 01:38 PM..

Old 09-24-2018, 01:15 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
My workplace is fairly intimate, not to mention about 90% female - although before anyone jokes about women gossiping, the BIGGEST gossips are two of the male employees.

So we do discuss our personal lives sometimes, but usually within reason. They were following the saga of my poor old cat (who finally had to be put to sleep last month), periodically ask how my father is doing (he has Alzheimer's), and I do the same when I know something is going on in their lives. We don't fill each other in on everything, however, and only a few specific colleagues will talk about things like their latest stomach issues. I think we have a nice balance of friendly and interested, without going TMI too often. I like that, especially since I'm single and go home to an empty house every night... well, besides my animals, but they can't exactly converse with me. LOL

I mean, we're in the same building for up to 40 hours a week! It would be strange to never talk about anything besides work, especially when you're in a cubicle-type setup. I could see that happening if you work an assembly line or something, but when you're sitting at a quiet desk all day that's different.

Last edited by gizmo980; 09-24-2018 at 01:23 PM..

Old 09-24-2018, 01:39 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
With the way the workplace has turned, I would just assume to work remotely by myself.

The workplace has turned too much into a personal/high school environment. No one should be bringing their personal issues to work, nor should promotions/raises/favoritism be based on "personal relationships" yet most of it is.
Not true where I've worked... who hurt you, sweetie?

Old 09-24-2018, 09:19 PM

1,517 posts, read 1,666,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pretty in black View Post
People like that are emotionally draining. I do not want to hear anyone go on and on about their personal life for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. I can't do it!
Exactly!

Old 09-25-2018, 12:19 AM

149 posts, read 100,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOrdinaryCitizen View Post
To any of my co-workers, I can listen a little bit about their personal problems, and I have sympathy for them too. But when I hear some people talking too much about their problems (like sickness, children’s problems, arguments with husbands, brothers, sisters, mothers, fathers... divorce, dating, breakup, house, car... you name it) like those problems are their medals, I feel very sick and tired. And eventually, I don’t have any sympathy for them. And I don’t care if they think or say I’m cold or have no heart. I know myself. I just think they are gossipers and attention seekers. They give me headaches. They really distract others at work. And it’s like they don’t have enough work to do. I don’t understand why many people are hooked into their “stories”? A little is okay. Too much is annoying. I try to stay far away from them. And the management cannot do anything to those people. They should go to see a counselor instead of bringing those problems to work.

When I come to work, I pay attention to and focus on my work. I don’t want to talk about my personal problems to anyone, or I try not to.

I know many people will agree with me, and many will oppose. Would like to hear your opinions about the subject.
You go there to do a job, not socialize so you really shouldn't spend time listening to complaints and problems since it can only bring the entire workplace down.

Old 09-25-2018, 06:39 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,318,759 times
I work at a tiny company with the boss and my niece who has been there for 13 years. I told her not to even use "Aunt" when talking to me at work. We rarely discuss anything of a personal nature at the office even though her mother and I are very close. To make it even more interesting my son works for her husband and we never bring that up either.

I'm a pretty private person at work and I keep my personal business to myself. Wish more people would do so.

Old 09-25-2018, 07:38 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,324,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeFelicia. View Post
You go there to do a job, not socialize so you really shouldn't spend time listening to complaints and problems since it can only bring the entire workplace down.
I agree with your first part of the sentence. And socializing a little bit is okay to make the environment not so serious. If too much, you/everyone don't have time to do the work.

I disagree with your second part. It's not about "you really shouldn't spend time listening to complaints and problems". It should be: you really shouldn't spend time complaining about personal problems since it can only bring the entire workplace down.

Do you see the cause and effect here?

The cause is somebody spends too much time to talk about her personal problems at work, and the effect is her complaints get into the ears of people around her; that is very distracting to work. Even if you don't want to listen or to put plugs into your ears, you still can hear somehow.

Why is it okay for someone to talk so much near you (where everyone works in one big office), and you have to plug your ears? That's not right.

Old 09-25-2018, 07:42 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,697,086 times
No i wouldn't. Those that are u happy in their current job/position are free to seek out a different field. Unlike a tree, everyone can move on and look elsewhere. Some people are just chronic complainers too, even under ideal conditions.

Old 09-25-2018, 07:45 AM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
We don't get into it that deeply. I'm not uncaring, but I don't need to hear about the problems in everyone's personal life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment