Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2018, 05:03 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,887,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
I see RED FLAGS here! You are focused on the money but is this job real? You said the company exists but could it be this "employer" who is pretending to be the company you are interested in?

"No in person interview" are a RED FLAG to me. You say you currently make $75,000 a year and this job which this job takes you to $100,000 a year? (correct me on that)

No detail about the job, another RED FLAG! It sounds like you could end up in some shady dealings here, a MLM, a job scam. Or is it a company so horrible that they need someone PDQ and why is it horrible? I agree, if this is a real job, that you work it for a week and please, please post back about what your duties are? Tell the employer you need a detailed outline of what is expected of you before you can accept this job!

Nobody pays someone $100,000 a year hiring them on the PHONE without ever having met them. A few here may disagree with that but..... I see too many red flags. Did they do an intense background check on you? Shouldn't they want to MEET you first to find out if you are a "good fit?"

Don't go into this wearing blinders. Can you name the company?
I was hired by a major Fortune 100 and work mostly remote. The last interview (which was a formality) was over video conference at their location near me. I work mostly online and over the phone. They did the standard FBI finger print back ground check for companies of that size.

I did not meet them in person until the 1st week of my employment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2018, 05:09 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,026,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
I see RED FLAGS here! You are focused on the money but is this job real? You said the company exists but could it be this "employer" who is pretending to be the company you are interested in?

"No in person interview" are a RED FLAG to me. You say you currently make $75,000 a year and this job which this job takes you to $100,000 a year? (correct me on that)

No detail about the job, another RED FLAG! It sounds like you could end up in some shady dealings here, a MLM, a job scam. Or is it a company so horrible that they need someone PDQ and why is it horrible? I agree, if this is a real job, that you work it for a week and please, please post back about what your duties are? Tell the employer you need a detailed outline of what is expected of you before you can accept this job!

Nobody pays someone $100,000 a year hiring them on the PHONE without ever having met them. A few here may disagree with that but..... I see too many red flags. Did they do an intense background check on you? Shouldn't they want to MEET you first to find out if you are a "good fit?"

Don't go into this wearing blinders. Can you name the company?
My daughter works remote and she had plenty of phone interviews and video conferences, but her final one was face to face in their corporate office.

Can you make 100K working remotely at home? Yes, my daughter does it (she actually makes $120 and she's half the OPs age).

I agree with this poster: Do your research before you quit your present position. You're 50 years old now is not the time to mess with your livelihood.

Old 10-06-2018, 05:12 AM

2,619 posts, read 3,150,063 times
I've never worked that high on the pay scale but something does seem off.

I would never pay over 100K to someone I hadn't met, unless lots of people in my company knew him and his capabilities.

You say the company does exist. How much research have you done on them? Are they well established in their business? Are their markets stable? Do you know anyone who has worked for them? Do they have a local office? Have you ever seen it? Have you ever met any of their customers?

I understand miserable jobs. Been there and back a few times. But your gut is telling you to be careful. Listen to it and check things out further before making a jump.

Old 10-06-2018, 07:05 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,121,427 times
$100k+ is not unusual for a tech or corp job. If your local area has depressed wages, it's normal to get a big raise. That's not a red flag to me.

The interviews are a red flag. I have done interviews by phone. The phone interviews tend to go into as much detail as live interviews. The companies calling me back, where well-known players in the industry.

Old 10-06-2018, 01:48 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
OP, even if you don't want to publicly share the company name, can you at least give some more info about the type of position it is and the field it's in, and how large the company is? Is this 100% salary or is any of that commission or bonus? Have you talked to the person you'll be reporting to? Is is a public company where you can track down their financials?

fwiw, I'm in the camp of having some misgivings. I do think that it's unusual to make an offer for a 100K+ position after 4 brief phone interviews, no refererences checks, no background check, no in person interview and giving out limited info about what the job entails.

You definitely seem to have concerns and I think you should listen to your instincts here and dig deeper.

Old 10-06-2018, 04:59 PM

2,516 posts, read 1,697,086 times
Go for it. Your older so not many opportunities may come along with the own your being offered. Take the money and run and enjoy it

Old 10-06-2018, 06:22 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtobeanyer View Post
Hi all, first some background on my situation:

Years of work experience: 25+
Years with current employer: 3+
Salary: $75k
Work remote

My current job has not been a great situation. I'm on my 4th boss in 3 years. I feel like I've performed well but that hasn't been recognized by management, and in fact I was nearly put on a probationary period about a year ago. I don't think I've been managed well at all, and the expectations of me have never been made clear. I have not had a single performance review in my time at this company.

I recently came across a listing for a job that seemed like it would be a perfect fit. It has a higher level than my current job, and also is remote. I submitted my resume and quickly got an email to set up an interview. I've had 4 phone interviews over the last week, and no in person interviews. All 4 interviews were about 30 minutes and really didn't go into great detail. The final interview was today with the CEO, who offered me the job on the phone after about 25 minutes of talking. The salary is $30k more than I am currently making.

All of this seems too fast and too good to be true. I asked for an offer in writing and received it shortly after our interview ended. I know this company exists and this isn't a scam or anything. I don't think the salary is out of line for my experience, but I don't know why they wouldn't check references or at least do a bit more due diligence?

As much as I am unhappy at my current position, I know the company is stable and is making money/profitable. I can't say the same for this new position. But I don't see how I could possibly turn down this type of salary increase.

Any thoughts on if this is worth the "gamble"? I could potentially be unemployed in 6 months I suppose, but that's true of my current position as well so I don't see much of a risk. Still, I just have an uneasy feeling.
I switched from my company to a new company. They offered 20% more and killer bennies. Job is more maintenance and I’m not killing myself working 12/14 hours.

I would do some research on the new company. How long they were in business, try to research the turnover rate. Glassdoor website

Old 10-07-2018, 05:22 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,920,976 times
When I said "take it," I didn't see the part about no in-person interview. I would expect to have a half-day of interviews before being hired for a $100,000 a year job. While that is not a huge amount of money, taking on any employee represents a lot of risk for a company because of the labor laws and the fact that there are so many bad employees. So I would do a lot more due diligence.

I have never hired anybody sight unseen and would never be allowed to by HR or my bosses. They would think I was crazy.

- - -

In my company (from which I am now retired), the operating manager makes a hiring decision and then hands it off to HR, which does a background check to make sure the person isn't lying about his or her education, previous jobs, isn't a felon, etc. We once fired an employee in the accounting department for stealing (filing completely phony expense account reports, not just "padding" or exaggerating them) and he was later hired by a Wall Street firm as head of compliance! They should have checked a little more closely.

Old 10-07-2018, 05:25 PM

615 posts, read 666,489 times
It isn't worth it.

Old 10-07-2018, 07:05 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
When I said "take it," I didn't see the part about no in-person interview. I would expect to have a half-day of interviews before being hired for a $100,000 a year job. While that is not a huge amount of money, taking on any employee represents a lot of risk for a company because of the labor laws and the fact that there are so many bad employees. So I would do a lot more due diligence.

I have never hired anybody sight unseen and would never be allowed to by HR or my bosses. They would think I was crazy.

- - -

In my company (from which I am now retired), the operating manager makes a hiring decision and then hands it off to HR, which does a background check to make sure the person isn't lying about his or her education, previous jobs, isn't a felon, etc. We once fired an employee in the accounting department for stealing (filing completely phony expense account reports, not just "padding" or exaggerating them) and he was later hired by a Wall Street firm as head of compliance! They should have checked a little more closely.
not just no in person interview, they made the offer before contacting any references. Being offered a big increase when you change jobs isn't that unusual, esp. if you are underpaid. But this just sounds hinky
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment