Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 06:56 PM

42 posts, read 50,072 times

Advertisements

During my interview, I asked for $50 K, but I have been offered $47 K. The job pays around $6 K more than my current salary, but I was hoping for at least $49 K.

Should I negotiate? They are looking to hire right away, and I get the vibe that they are not open to negotiation due to the tight deadline.

The job I have now is stable, but I am looking for a change. Also, the current job is a dead end with very little chance of upward mobility. There are more opportunities at the company offering me a new gig.

What is your advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2015, 07:04 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,142,682 times
15% increase is not bad esp if the current job is a dead-end. I'd ask for more but give some justification.

Old 02-23-2015, 07:08 PM

398 posts, read 746,997 times
If they are looking to hire right away, I would def negotiate. It couldn't hurt..and they'd rather seal the deal with you than lose you and start the hiring all over if they're on such deadline.

Old 02-23-2015, 07:09 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,682,349 times
Not bad at all.

Old 02-23-2015, 07:12 PM

148 posts, read 409,234 times
I have always been told not to accept a job that is less than 10% more than my current salary - so good job. Everything is negotiable. If they want you, they will negotiate. All you can do is ask, what do you have to loose.

Congrats and good luck!

Old 02-23-2015, 07:19 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,375,864 times
First compare your tax bracket..It appears you may elevate to next tax bracket..then make sure to compare benefit packages//Is it more favourable ??

The hours the same?..the workload/time the same ??? So many things to consider..That 6,ooo increase could be eaten up with loss of benefits and increase in taxes..and just could demand MORE time than what you are giving up now??

BTW~~ This topic kinda makes me smile..after listening for past 5 years..Boo Hoo's because no JOBS available...and those that were paid FAR LESS/Less hours, than I'm getting now scenario..Kudo's

Old 02-23-2015, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
First compare your tax bracket..It appears you may elevate to next tax bracket..then make sure to compare benefit packages//Is it more favourable ??

The hours the same?..the workload/time the same ??? So many things to consider..That 6,ooo increase could be eaten up with loss of benefits and increase in taxes..and just could demand MORE time than what you are giving up now??

BTW~~ This topic kinda makes me smile..after listening for past 5 years..Boo Hoo's because no JOBS available...and those that were paid FAR LESS/Less hours, than I'm getting now scenario..Kudo's
There will be no change in my tax bracket. The benefits package is basically the same.

Five fewer hours will be required a week. The workload should be less.

Thanks to everyone for the advice!

Last edited by beak; 02-23-2015 at 07:42 PM..

Old 02-23-2015, 07:27 PM

405 posts, read 573,706 times
Well then yes of course this is good. I would try to negotiate anyway, all they can say is no.

Old 02-23-2015, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonyab523 View Post
Well then yes of course this is good. I would try to negotiate anyway, all they can say is no.
The new industry is less stable - travel - so that is a major concern, too. I am apprehensive about taking the risk and being laid off only months later.

Old 02-23-2015, 07:42 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,056,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post

Tax brackets in both the U.S. and Canada are marginal. That means that you never, ever, wind up with less take home if you get a raise.

In the case of the OP, he will pay 15% on earnings under $36,900, and 25% on anything he earns above $36,900 (until $89,350).

It's really important to understand that when you start earning $36,901, you don't suddenly start paying 25% on everything, you only pay 25% on the last dollar.

OP, that U.S. a pretty decent wage increase. Assuming benefits are comparable, I would take it, particularly as your current position is dead end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment