Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2018, 09:27 PM

359 posts, read 302,217 times

Advertisements

Is past performance an indicator of future results?

Back on track, I emailed the tattletale teammate an update about some training that the manager wanted to set up for the two of us and you know how the teammate reacted? By getting snarky (it's as if seeing my name in the sender field incites a negative reaction in her all of a sudden) and declaring she didn't need training for some tasks that are relatively new to both of us. And guess what happened then? She, with her stubborn and know it all attitude submitted some work to the other department without the training under her belt, and the clerk replied that she did it wrong, plus CCed the manager on it. Ha ha, the teammate then replied back "oh sorry, my mistake, let me do it over again". That woman is some piece of work. She's too proud to admit she needs help and isn't perfect. Well I'll let her take the fall then.

Old 10-10-2018, 05:06 AM

50,807 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Wave View Post
No kidding. IMO, it's best to let them fire you and file for unemployment. Just make sure they don't have a bunch of write-ups or other formal documentation that could get you denied.

Also, it helped me to emotionally divorce myself from toxic work situations. I did xyz, got paid for it, and reminded myself that the people there didn't really matter.
She’s a contractor. They will just terminate her contract. Better yet she can learn how to get along at work and cope and take criticism without getting defensive, since apparently there is a history and patten here. Given the attitude that I can still see in the last post however, I give it a couple of weeks before her contract terminated there.

Old 10-10-2018, 06:09 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,887,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedonaverde View Post
Is past performance an indicator of future results?

Back on track, I emailed the tattletale teammate an update about some training that the manager wanted to set up for the two of us and you know how the teammate reacted? By getting snarky (it's as if seeing my name in the sender field incites a negative reaction in her all of a sudden) and declaring she didn't need training for some tasks that are relatively new to both of us. And guess what happened then? She, with her stubborn and know it all attitude submitted some work to the other department without the training under her belt, and the clerk replied that she did it wrong, plus CCed the manager on it. Ha ha, the teammate then replied back "oh sorry, my mistake, let me do it over again". That woman is some piece of work. She's too proud to admit she needs help and isn't perfect. Well I'll let her take the fall then.
Since you're on borrowed time try and do as much damage as possible in the most passive aggressive way before the Axe falls. Claim ignorance for everything, be forgetful. Be fake nice with a big huge smile and play dumb. Drive them up the wall. And let that conniving b*** fall on her own sword. Especially if you are in a state that sides with employers for Unemployment benefits. If you got nothing to lose make them as miserable as they made you.

Old 10-10-2018, 09:26 AM

9,865 posts, read 7,736,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
Since you're on borrowed time try and do as much damage as possible in the most passive aggressive way before the Axe falls. Claim ignorance for everything, be forgetful. Be fake nice with a big huge smile and play dumb. Drive them up the wall. And let that conniving b*** fall on her own sword. Especially if you are in a state that sides with employers for Unemployment benefits. If you got nothing to lose make them as miserable as they made you.
She's a contract employee, she won't get unemployment.

I do agree with being fake nice, but OP needs to eat and pay her bills. Sounds like she's gotten some new experience at this job, including working with difficult people. She needs to keep learning, keep improving at the job, avoid all the perceived drama. Do damage? No.

Old 10-10-2018, 03:41 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,887,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
She's a contract employee, she won't get unemployment.

I do agree with being fake nice, but OP needs to eat and pay her bills. Sounds like she's gotten some new experience at this job, including working with difficult people. She needs to keep learning, keep improving at the job, avoid all the perceived drama. Do damage? No.
It depends. In NY state to my knowledge Contracts 6 months or longer qualify for UE benefits.

No don't do direct damage but let them stumble over themselves. Make it VERY EASY for them to do so. In other words don't go the extra mile and be proactive about anyone else's stuff but your own. They'll handle the rest.

Old 10-10-2018, 04:45 PM

29,519 posts, read 22,661,647 times
In reading some of the responses, I knew I wasn't alone in thinking that the initial post was leaving out quite a few details in order to make the OP look more favorable, and the employer and co-workers as being the root problem.

And of course a few clarification posts later we find out that the OP might indeed have been 'curt' towards others. When you have multiple incidents involving management and counseling, the problem often isn't the employer or co-workers, it's the worker.

I still think the entire story has not been told, I'm pretty sure there were some heated words or even angry glares and a hostile attitude exhibited by the OP in these interactions. Which means there is an issue with maintaining composure in the work place. I get it we often get frustrated when things don't go our way, but that doesn't mean we are free to act angry towards others. Especially if a contract employee. Temp employees have zero business having a perceived attitude or behavioral problem.

Considering that the OP doesn't seem to be taking to heart some of the advice given, and will continue with the petty acts of antagonizing co-workers (which is even more proof that the this whole issue is probably mostly the OP's own doing), all we can say is good luck and hope things turn out well with the future job search.

Old 10-10-2018, 05:21 PM

50,807 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
In reading some of the responses, I knew I wasn't alone in thinking that the initial post was leaving out quite a few details in order to make the OP look more favorable, and the employer and co-workers as being the root problem.

And of course a few clarification posts later we find out that the OP might indeed have been 'curt' towards others. When you have multiple incidents involving management and counseling, the problem often isn't the employer or co-workers, it's the worker.

I still think the entire story has not been told, I'm pretty sure there were some heated words or even angry glares and a hostile attitude exhibited by the OP in these interactions. Which means there is an issue with maintaining composure in the work place. I get it we often get frustrated when things don't go our way, but that doesn't mean we are free to act angry towards others. Especially if a contract employee. Temp employees have zero business having a perceived attitude or behavioral problem.

Considering that the OP doesn't seem to be taking to heart some of the advice given, and will continue with the petty acts of antagonizing co-workers (which is even more proof that the this whole issue is probably mostly the OP's own doing), all we can say is good luck and hope things turn out well with the future job search.
Yes, I dated a guy for 3 years who had similar issues. He always had a problem getting along with people at every job, and it was never his fault.

Old 10-10-2018, 05:33 PM

674 posts, read 608,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I'm pretty sure there were some heated words or even angry glares and a hostile attitude exhibited by the OP in these interactions.
If you (generic "you" here) read the OP's past threads, I think you'd conclude that lack of maturity is a major contributor to her workplace problems.

Old 10-10-2018, 05:58 PM

29,519 posts, read 22,661,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Yes, I dated a guy for 3 years who had similar issues. He always had a problem getting along with people at every job, and it was never his fault.
Yup, it's a pattern here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nccoast View Post
If you (generic "you" here) read the OP's past threads, I think you'd conclude that lack of maturity is a major contributor to her workplace problems.
In looking back at the past threads, I can definitely see where the issue is. The OP needs to work on self first before asking for 'advice' on a situation where advice isn't being heeded (more like a typical vent thread).

Old 10-11-2018, 12:50 AM

359 posts, read 302,217 times
Ah looks like my fan club is back dredging up ancient history trying to silence those who actually took the time to read my OP and base their opinions off of the current situation.

Anyway, here's an update to keep you all entertained.

Today was the last day that my tattletale teammate and I shared projects, in fact I actually did her a favor by handling another urgent new project dropped on our desks. I didn't have to be nice but I decided I'd hunker down and challenge myself and unload the responsibility from her shoulders. Gasp! I even acted interested in what the tattletale had to say and took it in stride when she decided to criticize my methodology for this 2 day project, commenting how I was too thorough by involving a few stakeholders and following protocol - I could've taken a short cut according to her. She's so tiresome sometimes. That said, she did have some brighter moments, I guess she was in a better mood and I pretended to be interested in what she had to say (fake smile as was suggested).

Later on the manager called me into her office (again). This was the third time in less than a month But guess what? It wasn't all negative (for once). The good news is that she's splitting my teammate and I up, so now we've been assigned different clients/projects. The tattletale/brown noser will get to be in control of her own workload and not have to share it with me and feel the need to rat me out for not doing my work because it'll be my sole responsibility to produce deliverables. The only crappy thing is that she'll get access to overtime with a new schedule but I won't. And her clients/projects will be more challenging than mine. My challenge will be that I'll be working alone more than she will so while she can ask any colleague for help since they're all there, I've been encourage to call the manager when I need help. I'm told don't be shy but in fact she's the one who evaluates me and told me I made all these so called mistakes, not to mention when I do call her it seems like I'm disturbing her, so I'd like to avoid leaning on her too much.

But I actually decided to follow some advice and get this - apologized to the manager for losing my cool the other day. I told her it was unacceptable behavior that I sincerely regretted and guess what happened? The manager admitted that sometimes she's too direct (in your face and firm) and that she could improve her communication too. Ha! But of course she did question how I answered a request in a previous shift by suggesting I forward some information to the external employee requesting the info (a quote) as is, even though I identified some errors. She said it would've been better to send it fast (and with errors) than take longer and have it perfect. Disappointing but I guess that's to be expected. Companies want employees to focus more on quantity (of output) than quality. I remember I used to be evaluated in customer service surveys with scores around 90-100% but was also told I'm too precise and take too long to respond (to emails).

Conclusion? This employer may have given me a second chance as long as I continue to take the manager's (and I guess maybe the well meaning CD community's) advice.

Last edited by sedonaverde; 10-11-2018 at 01:31 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment