Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2018, 04:25 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times

Advertisements

I don't know all of the issues at your old job, and maybe they would still be too problematic, but would working remotely from where you are now be an option? It seems like it would be tough to leave your sister to cope with the things that are going to arise from what your mother is going through, and if that was a good enough reason to move in the first place, those reasons haven't just gone away. But if you could stay where you are and earn the higher salary, that might go a long way to making it more pleasant to be where you are in the short term, and give you enough time to make contacts and connections in your new location that will give you more options job-wise over the longer term.

Not sure what to say about the boyfriend, but it does sound like the relationship might be a bit more one-sided than is healthy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2018, 05:10 PM

26 posts, read 17,090 times
emm74 that's a good suggestion but I'm not sure they would go for it. The boyfriend situation is not one-sided, I don't want to go into all the details, we've been together a long time and we love each other but there have been issues.

I wish I could just find a way to feel happier. That's what it really comes down to. I don't like my living situation, my cats aren't happy, I hate being alone, I hate missing my friends, I hate being broke. I just feel so sad, all the time. I am the world's biggest optimist/cheerful person but all I've done since I've gotten here is cry.

Old 10-17-2018, 05:34 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,887,225 times
Personally I would move back. I've been there done that watching my parents deal with the end stage of life for 2 of my grandparents and believe me money matters. You need money to get her the quality care she needs. Not directly but in the sense of paying for all the associated things needed when browsing for facilities, potentially using a broker or agent for nursing homes that accept particular types of LTD insurance etc. You need to take time off work to contact different facilities etc. If your old work place can deal with that and give you flexibility then why not. Interview with your new boss and see what happens. Or based on your post, do you even need an interview or would they just hire you right of the bat if you say "Yes"?

If it's the latter, I would say Yes as you have nothing to lose. How far away is your mother living from your old home?

Old 10-17-2018, 05:38 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,887,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cas123 View Post
emm74 that's a good suggestion but I'm not sure they would go for it. The boyfriend situation is not one-sided, I don't want to go into all the details, we've been together a long time and we love each other but there have been issues.

I wish I could just find a way to feel happier. That's what it really comes down to. I don't like my living situation, my cats aren't happy, I hate being alone, I hate missing my friends, I hate being broke. I just feel so sad, all the time. I am the world's biggest optimist/cheerful person but all I've done since I've gotten here is cry.
I can understand you are back and forth but if all you've done since getting to the new place is cry then it does not seem like a good switch. You don't have to go back to your boyfriend. But the job offer is definitely a compelling reason to consider. And particularly the fact that it's a new department and not the old one. If you say the company overall is OK then try it out.

Old 10-17-2018, 05:50 PM

34,059 posts, read 17,081,326 times
Quote:

Could you work remotely part time for them to supplement your present income, and perhaps agree to fly or drive with them paying, one week/month to be on site?

Can't hurt to ask.

Old 10-17-2018, 06:59 PM

26 posts, read 17,090 times
I've been there done that watching my parents deal with the end stage of life for 2 of my grandparents and believe me money matters. You need money to get her the quality care she needs. Not directly but in the sense of paying for all the associated things needed when browsing for facilities, potentially using a broker or agent for nursing homes that accept particular types of LTD insurance etc

Tencent, my mother is already in the home, it's been over a year already. Believe me, I know what a financial and legal nightmare it is. Fortunately my brother was a big help, but yes, we did already go through all that.

I'm going to ask about the remote option. All they can say is no, right?

Old 10-17-2018, 07:19 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,186,661 times
Quote:

Never be afraid to ask.

Old 10-18-2018, 06:56 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,081,779 times
[quote=Cas123;53392316]

Yes, it sort of seems like I would be giving up on my dream just when I have the chance to make it
reality.
quote]

"Dreams" don't buy groceries.

Quote:

Don't infuse too much of your drama into the workplace. Bosses are generous....to a point. After that, they just want a good employee who does their job without a lot of "special" considerations.

Mom is in a good situation. Sister can keep an eye on Mom. You need to get back to professional and personal happiness.

And your cats...

Old 10-18-2018, 07:02 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,116,197 times
Quote:
I was going to suggest the same thing, with an important difference. If you just ask whether you could do the work remotely, chances are high that the hiring manager will say "no." Ask the question, but briefly present a plan for how it could be made to work. You need to make it clear that if allowed the privilege of working remotely that you will be a productive employee who requires minimal supervision to deliver results.

Make it easy for the employer to say "yes" to your request.

Old 10-18-2018, 08:42 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,841,577 times
I would move back and take the job back. Is it possible the sister could sell her house and move with you? That would solve both problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment