Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2018, 08:44 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,580,574 times

Advertisements

Well,

I'm not teaching anymore. I signed up with Texas Workforce Solutions (kind of the employment office and vocational rehab, I think) in hopes of finding a job I can actually succeed at, but I'm just ready to go back to work. I've been without full-time employment for about three months now. Without a full-time job, I've decided to opt out of paying for health insurance, but I still have to get any major health needs met to stay healthy enough to look for a job or function in every day life. I don't like this situation, so I'm looking for something that will either (a) help me bring in enough money to pay out of pocket for insurance and other expenses or (b) provide me health benefits in addition to helping me make a decent income to cover my other expenses. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2018, 04:05 PM

1,734 posts, read 1,203,228 times
I don't know where you are in Texas, but look into working for UPS.

Virtually everyone starts as a package handler and part-time. But they are gearing up for the holidays now and there will probably be overtime. This time of year they also hire helpers for the drivers to ride along on the trucks. If you get in there and do a good job (it will be physical and you may need to dress for cold weather, etc.) it's possible you could eventually get a full-time gig.

I mention this because UPS is one of the few companies that offers health insurance for even part-timers. I'm not sure what the current eligibility criteria are, but it is worth looking into.

Aside from that, with the holidays coming up, there will be lots of seasonal hiring at retailers, etc. You need to be working and there's not much of an excuse to not be able to find something now. Don't hold out for a perfect fit: It won't be your forever job.

Old 10-26-2018, 04:13 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,966,169 times
"...offers health insurance for even part-timers."

exactly.
several people i know have a part-time package sorting job with the local UPS terminal
ONLY because of health insurance. they work 4AM to 7AM and then go to their full-time.

Old 10-27-2018, 08:37 AM

674 posts, read 608,609 times
OP - if you go back and re-read the threads that you have started over the last 3-4 years, you would find plenty of good advice there. I think people are just tired of repeating themselves.

Old 10-29-2018, 02:32 PM

1,734 posts, read 1,203,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nccoast View Post
OP - if you go back and re-read the threads that you have started over the last 3-4 years, you would find plenty of good advice there. I think people are just tired of repeating themselves.
Yes, ^ this. Tons of recommendations, OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment